In week three and no real notable changes!!! I need some beta, guys!!!

• My husband and I have been doing BFL for a few weeks now and I just am not seeing the results I thought I would!  I probably have 8-10 lbs to lose overall--but I guess I thought I'd be ripped by now!  I'm sure it's unreasonable--but until now, I've never lifted weights before and I'm SPRINTING for goodness sake!  When does the "show" start to happen???

Anyone who has done this program before or who is passed where I am--PLEASE CHIME IN!!!

Thanks!!

• Ripped in 3 weeks?  Totally unrealistic!   However, even though you don't see changes they are happening.  Have you done pictures?  I think when you take that 4 week picture you will see the changes.  You can't always see them in the mirror but when you compare the pictures they will be there.

It took me until the 8th week to see any significant changes.  Then between week 8 & 12 came the truly remarkable changes.  It's a 12 week program.  Trust it.  The results will be there in the end.

• Heather, I just started but appreciate your insight as I'm sure I'll be thinking like Peet.

• Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint! It is a 12 week program for a reason. Stick to it, and you will see the changes. My body definitely transformed by the end of the 12 weeks. If you are adhering strictly to the nutritional guidelines as well as the workout guidelines, you will see changes by the end of your challenge. Are you eating clean 6 days per week, and are you hitting your 10's on every workout?

Also, I agree with Heather on the pictures. That's what will show you the changes, as well as in the way your clothes fit.

It didn't take your body 3 weeks to look the way it does now, did it? I definitely think your expectation of being ripped in 3 weeks was very unrealistic. I started seeing muscles develop in my body around week 6, and they continued to improve from there!!!!

Good luck! You can do this!

• Preface:  This is coming from one of the most impatient people you will ever meet.  But, consider this a lesson in patience!!!  Rome wasnt' built in a day & neither is the perfect body.  The less weight you have to lose, the slower the results will be.  I lost 12#'s overall, which was more than my set goal.  My 4 week pictures showed zero change.  My eight week pictures showed little change.  My ten week pictures showed significant changes, and my twelve week pictures speak volumes.  I did not miss one single workout and my food was on target 90% of the challenge.  If you are truly eating the way you are supposed to and hitting your 10's during your workouts, there is no way that you will not see changes.  Give it time!!!  If you have not taken pictures, do so now.  If you haven't done measurements, do so now.  You should also have a pair of shorts/jeans to measure your progress along the way.  Just think, if you stop now, you will never know how good the end results can actually be.  Hang in there; what do you have to lose??  If you have only been lifting weights for three weeks, and have never lifted before, your body will have to become acclimated to that, and you will need to continue increasing the load.  Keep doing those HIIT's like you are describing and you will be melting away in no time!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Hi Peet,

It is not at all uncommon for people to experience what you're going through ... not seeing changes as rapidly as you'd like. If you read the ladies Success Document you'll read testimony of many women who  finally saw results ... but not until the eighth week or more. There is a reference to the eight week miracle in many places on this board. Here's the document though,

bodyforlife.com/.../468.aspx

I'm in a similar place as you. I'm on week three and I don't see changes yet. I don't actually have to lose pounds but I probably will lose fat and gain muscle. It's really the same for all of us regardless of how much or little weight we want to lose; Build the muscle, lose the fat.

We've got a nice thread going oner in Newbie starting Oct.3 if you'd like to join. It's a nice little family, three regulars, two ladies and a guy. And we have a few people who pop in occasionally. It's great to get on a  thread and get to know people and encourage each other. One of us, Lisa, is struggling with something similar so we all just walked her through that and are always there to encourage each other till we reach the finish line. And then, since we're becoming a nice little "family" we'll probably do it all again! The camaraderie is delightful. Read some of our thread and you'll see. Please join us if you'd like, we'd love to have you.

Patricia

• started  oct 3  and the workouts still confuse me   it is statistically impossible to do 6 sets of 5 different exercises by the book with perfect form and 1 minute rests between each set of reps and two between different excersises  What am I doing wrong? my workouts are running an hour to hour and fifteen minutes  Help!!!

• Hey--I wouldn't have had a clue what to do if it wasn't for my husband.  We ended up getting a 3-station weight machine and set it up in our basement b/c I knew I wouldn't make it to the gym with a one-year old in tow!

Are you trying to do free weights? Machine weights? Weights at the gym?  I can only imagine if you had to walk all over the gym and you weren't really comfortable with weights in the first place that it would take longer.  

My recommendation is that how ever you are doing your lifts--give yourself a chance to get used to them.

I am NOT a weight lifter--and I am able to complete them in the required time.  The time frame is really just used so that you are not hanging out getting more rest than you should in between the sets and the different lifts.  If the actual lifts are taking longer b/c you have to rest in the middle of a set, for instance, maybe you need to reduce the weight??

I'm sure more people will comment if you provide more info as to how you are currently doing the lifting portion.

Good luck!!!

Michelle

• I started 10/17, and I'm with ya, mustrans me. It's tuff but I think Michelle is probably right. I have to keep looking to see what's next, watching the clock (plus two potty breaks bc of all the water LOL).  It just takes time to get the routine down. Wednesday I was thinking, man, this is taking forever!!  So I am comforted to see it's not just me!  We'll get there!

It's all about progress, not perfection.

• I remember asking the same question about how everyone gets the workouts done in 40-45 minutes.  Once you get to where you are doing them from memory and have your routine down it does get faster.

• Also--the other thing I did was have my husband take pictures of me DOING the exercise.  Then I hung them up on poster board next the the weight machine in the basement.  It's kind of corny, but it totally helped me.  He travels a lot for work so this way I know exactly what I'm moving to next!  Oh--also I hung our BEFORE pictures up down there...so every time it gets hard or my body hurts...I just glance at those!  

• i hope so. very excited about the program and looking forward to success . I have a pile of assorted dumbells and barbells and a flat bench in  a small room . my own personal gym . last night was lower body and although way over time its a great feeling when the abs are burning!!!!!! no stopping me , just must pick up the pace  i guess. Great to know im not alone.  This will be a great holiday season and gift for all  Enjoy!!!!!!

• mustrans me, my upper body workout took well over 1 1/2 hrs yesterday. :-/  Looking forward to cutting that time down so I can sleep in a little longer! LOL

• Okay, I just had an "ah-ha!" moment.  (now, don't think I'm too stupid - I don't even have the book yet)  But I thought you did the whole rep routine (12, 10, 8, 6, 12, 12) for two different exercises for each muscle group!!  That's not right?!  I hope I'm understanding correctly.  That would make sense as to why I am taking 2x as long for each weight workout!!  You only do the second exercise for the last 12 reps...right??  :shakeshead:

• peet - BD Mom and Patricia K are right, give it time. Hang in there. Also ignore the scale, use the mirror and clothes are your measure.

linsforlife - yes for each body part you chose 2 exercises, for example and I assume this what you mean you are doing, for chest if you chose bench press and dumbbell flyes: (I'm just making weight up)

1st set: Bench Press - 100 lbs, 12 reps

2nd set: Bench Press - 110 lbs, 10 reps

3rd set: Bench Press - 120 lbs, 8 reps

4th set: Bench Press - 130 lbs, 6 reps

5th set: Bench Press - 120 lbs, 12 reps

6th set: Dbell Flyes -  30 lbs, 12 reps

That would be it for your chest routine. I try to pick a larger/overall movement with the last set (12 reps) being the small/detail type exercise. Also how long are you resting between sets, should try to keep to 1 minute with a 2 minute break when you switch body parts. I don't watch a clock, i have a watch with a timer and it counts down my rest intervals. (the only time i check the time is when i start and finish). That said it does take me longer depending on the exercises i chose, like if I do exercises where each arm/leg are independent such as lunges, step-ups, one-legged calf raise.