October Beginners

• Hi. I've decided to start up a discussion for everyone who is beginning a challenge in October. I am officially starting my second challenge on Monday 17 Oct 2011. I completed my first challenge just before last summer and had managed to completely transform my body. I was strong, lean, healthy and very, very proud. But unfortunately i recently moved and during this very big and depressing adjustment period I completely neglected myself and I now find myself back to square one. Anyway, I don't want to talk about the negatives, I have spent the past 2 months dwelling on the negatives and feeling bad and dissappointed in myself for letting myself go back to square one after all that hard work. It's time for me to stop feeling sorry for myself and get back into the BfL program which I have total faith in.

The one thing that kept me going during my first challenge is the support and encouragement I received from the BfL online community. I know I would not have seen the challenge through had it not been for those group discussions. A group of total strangers from all over the world walked with me through the challenge and we stuck by each other through the best and through the worst of times. I know that I need that again. So this is why I've decided to start this group. It doesn't matter if you started already, or if you're not planning on starting for another week or so, the point is to share our experiences, give each other advice and lend an ear to people that are going through the exact same thing you are. So I hope you'll join me in this journey and share your stories and progress here.  I really hope I could verbalise what's coming ahead but I can't, you'll just have to see for yourselves but I promise you, it's all worth it! We're about to become champions, this time in 12 weeks we will be someone we never thought we could be. Patience and perseverence is all we need. And of course, each other.

• I'm starting the BFL challenge Oct 17th as well. I'm a little scared but also excited!  I'm hoping I can stick with this program and be able to transform my body to what it used to be.  I have done the BFL before, back in 2003 and I know it works but last time I had somebody to do it with, this time its just me.  Wish me luck!

• Hi,

I stared a new challenge on Oct 9.  This is my 2nd round.  I completed a challenge back in May.  I took before and after pictures and while they weren't quite as accomplished as a lot of the challengers that have posted, I could definately tell a difference.  I wanted to take a small break and start another challenge but that "break" became months.  There was just so much going on this past summer that I could never really just get it together to continue on with my weight loss.  

So here I am again, ready to undo the damage from this summer.  I hope to kick some serious fat and inches during these next 12 weeks.  I look forward to any support and encouragement that anyone cares to give.

Look forward to talking to you all.

Kris

• Cowdell, you're definitely not alone. This is what the forum's here for. Just keep logging on and posting comments and you will soon realise just how much support you do have and that you are anything but alone. And congratulations on beginning your secong challenge!

klmad, sounds the same thing happened to you as it did to me. I think the key here is to let go of whatever happened over the summer and focus on what's about to happen over the next 12 weeks. I will definitely be here to cheer you on and I'm looking forward to your first excited comment when you first realise that something's changing, either your clothes feeling lose, or a colleague's comment, whatever it is, make no mistake, it's going to happen!

I had my first proper upper body workout today, felt really good but I am sure I will feel it tomorrow and it won't be so good then! I was a bit optimistic and tried to lift more weight that I could, particularly on the bicep curl. I was just looking to get my arms shaking, that's my sign that I've worked them well. Nutrition went well although I didn't drink as much water as I should. My goal this week is to get back into the habit of drinking lots of water.

What are your goals this week?

• I started today as well (Oct 17th) with my good friend and co-worker Stacey. Its great having her around because I know we will keep eachother in line when it comes to curbing those sweets cravings and staying motivated at the gym. I think my biggest challenge will be the meal plan as i am Vegetarian and still learning how to build a variety of healthy meals and snacks. I'm really excited to join this group and to talk to people who have completed the BFL program once before.

• Hi BFL'ers,

Today was my first day too.  Like so many others, BFL got me into the best shape of my life and I fell off track.  But I'm back and ready for action.  I'm going to be realistic about my goals.  It's going to take some work to get back into great shape.  And it probably won't happen in one round of BFL.  But it will definitely get me well on my way.

For meals, I highly suggest taking a look at the Eating for Life Cookbook.  Fabulous foods in there.  I like to cook up several things on Sundays and that way I have leftovers for lunch and dinner all week.

• Welcome to the group CamiJ and MsBluesKat, glad to have you on board.

I like the idea of preparing all your meals from Sunday, if you preplan like that it's much easier to stay on track. I'm having problems with my snack meals. I used to be able to buy Myoplex bars and just have those but since I moved I can't find them. Nor can I find my favourite whey protein isolate. I guess I'll have to do without but I'll need to check the Eating for Life Cookbook I suppose for any suggestions.

Cardio day today whoohooo!!! Good luck to you all in hitting those tens!

• Hey all.  I'm Lindsay, and I'm starting this week too.  I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom to our 6 kids ages 10 down to almost-2.  Yes they're all mine.  No, no twins.  Yes I love it, but yes I did keep some baby weight after each and every one - they came fast and furious! :)  It's stubborn weight and doesn't want to go.  I've lost about 13 pounds this year, but I want more than just losing weight.  I want to be fit and trim.  I work out hard, but from what I'm learning through BFL, likely too hard.  I've got about 10-15 pounds yet to lose, though more would be welcome!  I really just want to get into my old pants that have been hanging out in my closet waiting for me.  Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to read up on all that I wish I could about BFL, but I think I understand the basics so I'm going with it.  So far so good, but I'm feeling tired.  

Also, I had been doing a low-carb diet this year, so I've gained some weight the last few days, which I read was normal when coming to BFL after a low-carb diet.  Anyone else had that experience?  How long does it take for the body to adjust?

It's all about progress, not perfection.

• I buy the bars at GNC but I know that you can find them on eBay.  Also, you can purchase the GNC using Ebates.com and get a pretty good deal.

• I started October 17 so I am on day 2.  I have put on some extra weight as I got older, transitioned to a job where I sit primarily, generally haven't eaten healthy and drink a couple of beers each evening.  I am hoping for lots of online encouragement so we can all get through the next 12 weeks.   It really does require a change in lifestyle but I think that if I can last a couple or three weeks it should get easier.

Anyone in the Dallas area?  Maybe we could meet up and compare notes.

• I started on October 17, on day 2 also.  I had been in pretty good shape 10 months ago - I had busted my behind to be ready for our 25th wedding anniversary and 2nd honeymoon.  I got back, got depressed and let all of my hard work go.  

I took the time last week to read through BFL, plan my meals for this week, get my workout room ready and bought all my groceries.  I even "pre-rewarded" myself by getting some new workout clothes.  My problem is I hate to eat breakfast - so I plan on drinking a EAS shake and eating an apple or banana to get me going - after my cardio of course.  I pack all my food in a lunch box so I know what I will eat and when I am done.  Day 2 so far so good :)  

I am planning on cooking up a couple of whole chickens this weekend and shredding them up for next week.  

Good luck everyone - I know it will not be easy, but I am worth it, and so are you.

• DavidinDallas things definitely get easier after week 3. They did for me anyway when I did my first challenge. You get used to the routine, you've got your meals sorted out, you figure out when the best time to work out is etc. Week 2 was the hardest to get through but once you get through that that's when the change begins to happen.

I'm still sore from my upper body workout and I love it! No pain no gain right? I've not weighed myself before starting the challenge. I will probably regret it later as I won't know how much weight I lost but I cannot bring myself to get on that scale and make my recent weight gain a reality! It will depress me and put me off so I decided to weigh myself at the end of this week, or maybe the week after.

Aintdsmom, I loved your last line of self worth, you are right, each and every one of us is worth it and we deserve to be happy and healthy, looking and feeling good. It's coming, that feeling, it's coming, it's just around the corner!!

Linsforlife I admire you, you put me to shame. I've been puttin off starting another challenge for so many months and making up excuses and I don't even have kids. Don't worry about the inital weight gain, it happens a lot, just keep on doing what you're doing, drink lots of water and your body will slowly adjust to the new lifestyle. I think everyone's adjustment period is different but if I'd have to put a general number to it I'd say it takes 3 to 4 weeks to adjust.

Keep your updates coming guys, they are very encouraging and motivating, and good luck to you whatever day you are on!

• Day 3 has started off well.  I am finding it much easier than I thought it would be to roust up at 4:30 to hit the gym.  I have my office clothes, gym bag and all by the door so all I have to do is grab my lunch bag with my healthy chow, the stuff by the door and roll.  The gym is only 3 miles or so from the house so it is a short trip.  I realize it has only been 3 days but I am finding that eating 6 meals a day is easy.  Of course I work in an office so I am not on the road or anything which could make it more difficult.  I have been cooking from the Eating for LIfe cookbook and it has some awesome recipies.  

Good luck to everyone.  I am enjoying the forum as it helps me stay motivated.

• I'm with you DavidinDallas I’m finding eating six small meals a day is pretty easy, I just hope I can find enough of a variety. I got the Eating for Life book yesterday and tagged some of the meals I can exchange the meat for Tofu. I have to say the protein pudding is one of my favorite snacks!!

• So glad to find this group.  I started BFL a few times over the past 10 years and never finished.  I was doing it for the wrong reasons.  Now, at 40 years old, it's all about the right reasons.  I started on October 17th with my 16 year-old daughter.  We've been getting up at 5am to do the workouts.  I'm teaching her the weight training and she's inspiring me to give it my all.  I've been self-conscious and overweight as long as I can remember and I don't want that same history for my daughter.  I have 40 pounds to lose and some major muscle work to do.  I had a bad headache yesterday, probably from caffeine/sugar withdrawal and a minor headache today.  I've been very tired.  But I know that stuff will pass and I'll begin to feel great.  Can't wait to be free from fat, fatigue, frumpy clothes, etc.