Returning Fearless Forum Starting October 9th/10th- All Welcome!

• Morning all! 12 2 12! (someone else noted that we'll be wrapping up on the new year...12  weeks til 2012...well, a few days less now:) Very inspiring.

Day 1 yesterday, great workout and feeling it today. Cardio later today, still gorgeous outside so will do my run/calisthenics in the park :) Meals were not 100% yesterday...I'm with Tony, working on ratios. Island, I now know yet another very important Hawaiin word!!! I'll be working my okole muscles with the lunge sequences later!! :)

@dpatt - pumpkin is considered both a fruit and a vegetable...botanically speaking, it's a fruit, but for culinary purposes, it gets called a vegetable.  Like tomato. Go figure :)

@GVogt - ratios are something for me that I've had to experiment with...for some folks (and anyone doing their 1st challenge) those are good ratios.  I cycle several days of higher protein and then a  day of higher carbs so I don't stall my metabolism....but that's what works for me.  If the 40/40/20 ratio works for you, then keep at it :). Also  - the recommended daily fiber intake for adults is 25-30g...from foods, not fiber supplements :) A good way to do that without overly increasing your calorie load is to add green leafy veggies to your meals. I noticed someone else mentioned a spinach smoothie...I'm a fan :) Easy way to get in lots of good nutrients and it's more portable than a salad!

Ok, that's my long 2 cents:) everyone have a great day!

• Hi Everyone!

Accountability for today: I did a 30 min HIIT on the treadmill then did 15 min of P90x Core Synergistics. I always do my abs on my cardio day b/c I hav e more time! It was a great workout!

Island: Your menu looks awesome! Looks like good, clean eating! So sorry to hear that your knee is still giving you trouble. Hope it is better soon! Way to do alternative workouts until it is healed!

Kimis: Yes, I LOVE spinach in my smoothies! It's a great way to sneak in those veggies! Wish the weather was gorgeous here.....rainy and cold! Oh well, maybe later this week we will get some sunshine!

Welcome Super T! Sounds like you have some great goals. Hope you can get your foot/ankle pain figured out. My husband is a swimmer and it really works for him. I have never liked swimming much, but do it occasionally when training for a triathlon. The major drawback is that you have to have a pool for swimming! I workout at home, so that is not an option. But, my husband swims with a Master's swim group each morning at a local aquatic center and he loves it!

Tony: Have you tried myfitnesspal? It has really helped me. You can go on and look at what I eat for some sample menus. My username is amyjslp.

Dpatt: I love ab ripperx! One of my goals last challenge was to be able to complete it, and I reached that goal! I love the whole P90x program! I am incorporating it into this challenge and feel soreness where I haven't felt it before!

Ready2go: Gotta get control of those late night munchies! Are you getting enough calories in during your first 5 meals? I would suggest that you eat something high in protein yet low in calories for your meal 6, such as cottage cheese. I have read that it doesn't matter what time you eat at night, as long as you are having your 6 meals. There are some nights that I don't eat my meal 6 until 8:30 pm, but it is typically a serving of cottage cheese.

Sherryjoy: I typically stay away from cheese, except for cottage cheese. I know people have different opinions on this, but that is just my choice. I only eat it on my free day. I would say that if you do choose to eat it, count it as your fat (even if it's low fat) and use it sparingly. You could have it on a sandwich or as a stick, as long as you are watching your ratios and it balances out your meal.

John, LB, Gvogt, how are you? How is everyone else?

Have a great day!!!

• Well one of my goals was to post every day so here it is...

I did a 20 min HIIT this morning but I am thinking that needs to increase to 30 minutes for a challenge.  I am also going to do the P90X ab ripperx this challenge so I will be adding that to the routine as well - good idea to add it to cardio day.  I will have to check out the P90X Core Synergistics too.

Well I bought a Groupon for Crossfit and went last night and it was sooooo tough!!  I don't know if its for me but I have 7 sessions left so I am going to give it my all - has anyone else tried it?

I love seeing what everyone else is eating to get ideas - I always stick to the same thing.  I need to figure out how to eat less sugar since I keep going over my daily allotment everyday.  Have a great day everyone!!

• Hey everyone- It’s climbing back into the 70’s here in Colorado and its positively impacting my mood today.  Had a solid lower body workout this morning and I sort of have a John Wayne like swagger for the effort lol

Are you all drinking enough water?? Next time you go to the bathroom check out the color..If its not clear, you may not be drinking enough….

@island dude-Nice memory man. I love you keeping me accountable.  I ran yesterday for my cardio and I ran 3 miles in 21 minutes.  I still have not beaten the 3 miles in 18 minutes. I’m realizing that is ridiculously fast but I’m not giving up. So no good news to report yet but it’s a work in progress.

@Kimis- You are allowed some latitude in the first week as it takes time for most people to get it down. Frankly for your first challenge you may want to keep it simple – portion of protein size of your palm, portion of carbs size of a fist, 2 servings of veggies per day. But hey I’m lazy! I’m sure you’ll figure it out. Post your meals and maybe we can help you out.

@tonybfree- Hey Tony keep working on that menu! You didn’t get much protein until that 3 meal and then it was from chicken wings which can be high in fat.  Remember you are going to be a body builder and body builders need protein. Also you need to get up to 6 meals. I know its awkward but in a few weeks it’ll be a habit.  For meal 4 is that a Myoplex shake?  If not you may just have their whey protein in which case you’ll need to add a carb.  Its great that you posted your meals and I’m sure you’ll figure it out.

@runnermom- You are an absolute machine. I love your posts. I’m glad you are enjoying the P90X. I always use ab ripper x but I’ve stopped using the other workouts. I did P90X for 3 weeks but in the end  I didn’t like having to watch TV  to workout, some of the workouts were way too long (yoga) and I’m going to get hate mail but Tony Horton is not my favorite personality. But I know many many people that swear by it!

• OK, so I read and loved all the posts yesterday, started BFL yesterday as well, and have waited all day today to get time to post my opening "Hello" and "Great Job" to all.... Seems like a really educated and movtivated group, love the energy!

Yesterday did weights, tremendously sore today, so that's a good thing, right?  Today climbed on the treadmill, 30 minutes intervals, so felt great by the time I left for work.  

I guess my biggest challenge is to stay with this.... I have tried several times before but never seem able to stay on board.  High structure and simplicity is probably the best approach, and for this week anyway I have charted out my meal plan, pretty basic and the same each day, trying to get into the groove.

I, too, have tried P90X, very tough.... I also am not the greatest Tony fan, but have to admit some of those workouts are pretty intense.  Others irritate me :), so I pick and choose when I am feeling I need to change up my routine for a day.

Thanks for all the great advice so far, I am psyched to push forward!  Good luck to all.

• Ok- well- I'm starting off... weak weak weak. Some evil little voice keeps talking to me and saying that since I completed a challenge I am entitled to eat whatever I feel like....as a REWARD for finishing!  And before you know it there I am putting mozzarella cheese on regular pasta! This is the EXACT reason why I needed to start a new challenge right after I finished- because I still like the old food and I fear I would fall back on my old ways. And I haven't had mozzarella cheese in SOOOOOO long! But that's over.....I had it and wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Time to start planning better. Don't worry about me- I've got this under control :)

• LB here.  Hey everybody, great posts.   Did my UBWO yesterday and I'm feelin it today.  Wow.  It's good to be sore.  20 HIIT today - didn't get sick, but pushed real hard.  

Now I'm ready to relax - might need the heating pad tonight...:]  .  

It's so great to hear everyone is doing their best to make this challenge work.  It's really simple.  If you do the work and you eat clean, you'll make your goals.  AND, we'll all have a great celebration coming into 2012.  

See you all tomorrow for another round of posts.

@ Readytogo  I try not to eat my last snack any later than 8PM if I can.  All depends upon my schedule.  Just an FYI.   Sometimes it can't be helped.  

• Trying to be accountable to myself and posting to show that I made it happen today :)

Did my HIIT this morning.  Was a little tough from missing the last 10 days (sick) but I really enjoyed getting my sweat on.  I really enjoy working out once I get my butt in gear.  Its just getting it out of bed at 430am, in the dark and cold to actually DO it.  :)  

Love to know what everyones favorite easily transportable snacks are other than RTD protein shakes and bars.  Mine usually is a chicken breast and an apple, or greek yogurt with blueberries mixed in  I do carry a cooler bag in my car all the time too.....so that helps.

For all of you experienced BFL'ers ...  Did you experience what many call the #8 Week Miracle?  

Cheers!

• Hi everyone!  Day 3 - UBWO today.  Had a great workout!  My entire body is sore from the workouts over the last few days. : )  These new workouts are definitely more challenging!  I don't recall being this sore during the last challenge.  Logged my food into myfitnesspal today.  Can't say I've added too much variety to my food plan yet but I am not craving sweets at this time so I think I will stick with it for now : )

Palofal - Welcome!  Stay with the forum.  You'll find that it helps to keep you accountable even if you are reading everyones posts more than posting yourself.  Just keep checking in.  I just recently finished my 1st challenge after trying many times and stopping.  The forum was just what I needed.

Diane33 - You're right, you've got it under control!  You have already proven that through the changes that you have made : )

Want2BFit - I didn't really start to experience any changes in my stats until after week 8 of the last challenge.  The changes are continuing though as I keep following the BFL routine for meals and working out - 5/6 small meals each day; 3 weight workout days, 3 cardio workout days, 1 free day : )

Have a great evening : ) We are almost half way through Week 1!

• Hey TEAM!! 50th state checking in day 2 hour 13 of my second 18 hour day. Still feeling good Hit the feild with my kettle bells and went at it for fifteen minutes forgot the jump rope but went for a jog instead for 10 mins paying careful attention to the knee.. I took it easy, well I really had no choice since i did it directly after my fifteen minute circuit and was practically hypervantilating lol.. The great thing was i was able to get my breathing under control and cooled down during the jog.. woooo!Got it done and actually felt that  post workout high :) LBWO tomorrow cant wait!

@John Hey your getting closer and closer man ever since you told me about the elusive 3 mile mark during the twenty min HIIT I have thought about it ever since.. I want accomlish that and like you said its progress.. indeed..

@Diane33 Block that voice out I been hearing the same voice and felt the exact same way last week while i was in rest mode.. feeling entilted to eating what ever because i finished a challenge well we are entilted to eat but we are also deserving of the backwards progress that will come with the coming back of the bad habits.. I did indulge too much I will admit last week but it's behind me now and I look at my daily goal everyday now .. "EAT CLEAN 100% EVERYDAY AS PLANNED" happy to say its been 2 days clean 4 more to go and one week in the bag.. !

Anyway back to work! Keep it up people positive vibes!! BIG HEART STRONG MIND!!  AAALLLOOOHHHAAA!!!!!

• Hey TEAM!! 50th state checking in day 2 hour 13 of my second 18 hour day. Still feeling good Hit the feild with my kettle bells and went at it for fifteen minutes forgot the jump rope but went for a jog instead for 10 mins paying careful attention to the knee.. I took it easy, well I really had no choice since i did it directly after my fifteen minute circuit and was practically hypervantilating lol.. The great thing was i was able to get my breathing under control and cooled down during the jog.. woooo!Got it done and actually felt that  post workout high :) LBWO tomorrow cant wait!
    @John Hey your getting closer and closer man ever since you told me about the elusive 3 mile mark during the twenty min HIIT I have thought about it ever since.. I want accomlish that and like you said its progress.. indeed..

@Diane33 Block that voice out I been hearing the same voice and felt the exact same way last week while i was in rest mode.. feeling entilted to eating what ever because i finished a challenge well we are entilted to eat but we are also deserving of the backwards progress that will come with the coming back of the bad habits.. I did indulge too much I will admit last week but it's behind me now and I look at my daily goal everyday now .. "EAT CLEAN 100% EVERYDAY AS PLANNED" happy to say its been 2 days clean 4 more to go and one week in the bag.. !

Anyway back to work! Keep it up people positive vibes!! BIG HEART STRONG MIND!!  AAALLLOOOHHHAAA!!!!!

O one more thing @wanttobefit There was no eight week miracle for me It came around week ten! No drastic change but it was change that I finally could see happening after taking pictures every 2 weeks and  not noticing anything..

• UGH double post.. curse you WORK PUTER! :-P

• Hey Everybody!  Day 2.  Heavy workout today.  Back, Biceps, Legs.  But, most importantly got in all six meals .  Drinking #6 as I type.

Meal:

1. Two buttermilk pancakes, two turkey sausage patties, one cup of soy milk

2. Post- workout shake EAS 100% Whey Protein (you’re right John.  I need to add a carb or get the Myoplex)

3. Salmon fillet, wild rice, and a taffy apple. (My wife brought them home.  Bad boy!)

4. EAS 100% Whey Protein shake

5. Salmon fillet, wild rice, and green beans

6. EAS 100% Protein shake

These are my totals for today:

Calories: 1757

Carbs: 136

Protein: 193

Fat: 42

I spaced my meals about 3 hours apart.  Which means my final meal is around midnight.  I have problems with acid reflux, especially if I eat too late.  Any suggestions?  

John:  Thanks again for the suggestions.  Keep ‘em comin’.  I need all you can give to get through this challenge.

Rummermom:  I will check out myfitnesspal.  Don’t want to get bored with my meal plan.  Need recipes, recipes, recipes!!

Thanks to everyone for all your help.  Tomorrow RFF.

• All -  Just completed C2 on 10/9/11 - C1 was wayyyyyy back in 2001. See my profile to see C2 progress pics.

Started C3 on 10/10/11 - so this forum is a natural fit. I was previously on the "7/18" thread.

Originally from MI (MSU - hence, "Spartan") now living in ATL, with wife and 2 kids, 10 & 13.

Goals:

1. Complete this Challenge, no matter what!

2. Maintain accountability through forum participation

3. Help 2 people become healthier and more fit by sharing the BFL principles

Preparation:

1. Plan workouts and menu the day before

2. Reread "Champions"

Special Contribution:

1. Encouragement

2. BTB Fanatic

Looking forward to our journey together, especially as we navigate through the temptations between Halloween and New Year's Day.

-R

• Hey everyone.  It’s a beautiful sunny day in Colorado and hope its great where ever you are.  Well I was up late working last night so I woke up too tired to run this morning but I’ll take care of it when I get home.  One of the benefits of working out in the morning is that you have a backup plan (evenings) so that you can make it up.  If you workout in the evening and something happens you are basically screwed.  

We are about half way through the first week so I recommend everyone try to get their meals down and under control.  You want to go into the second week with good visibility to how you do it. Also, think about this as training for the rest of your life.  Now is the time to think about building habits that prevent you from doing things that got you here in the first place…Learn to say ‘no thank you’ .  You have to teach yourself that turning down sweets and fatty food is not rude, it’s a choice that you make.  You will learn that some people completely understand and are supportive others are going to react negatively. They feel better when you eat like they do, they are the "pushers".  Remember, that’s the choice they made and that you are choosing to walk a different path…..

Eat clean for 2-3 weeks with no crap food thrown in. I assure you it gets easier once you break the terrible cycle and break your addiction to sugar.  If you don’t believe you are addicted to sugar know that Americans consume on average 100 pounds of sugar per year, 60 pounds of it in high fructose corn syrup.  The more you have the more you need….

@readytogo – I forgot to answer your question but I take as long as I need to get in 6 meals. I usually have my last meal of the day around 9 PM but can be as late at `10PM.  This is just my opinion, but I don’t believe people trying to gain lean mass should go that long without protein.  If your last meal is at 6PM and you don’t eat again until 7AM you have gone 13 hours without nutrition! You don’t build muscle when you workout (in fact you are breaking down muscle), you build muscle when you sleep at night and protein definitely helps.  Some people even have casein protein at night instead of whey protein because its absorbed at a slower rate.

@island_dude- You sir are a machine! I almost missed the light rail on the way to work this morning but I sprinted 3 blocks to catch it.  I love how easy it was to do it so I’m going to keep on pushing to 3 miles in 18 minutes!

@palofal-  Great job on the workout!  Being sore is definitely a good sign! You are shredding those muscles that will then heal and regrow as lean mass!

Diane33- Well you can’t be faulted that much since you basically rolled into another challenge without a break but I have no doubts you’ll get it under control.

@want2Bfit- Hey I love sandwiches with whole wheat bread as an easily transported meal but I’m sure you gathered that if you’ve seen my other posts. Also have you made the protein pancakes? They are easy to carry around. Check it out: bodyforlife.com/.../breakfast-protein-pancake

My miracle came at week 4 of challenge 1, like most men (note: not all!), it does seem like many women have their miracles at week 8 (but just as good results as men by week 12).  If you want more week 8 success stories check out this document:  THE LADY SUCCESS DOCUMENT (a/k/a “The Eight Week Miracle ...

@Tonybfree- wow great improvement in the meals.  I’m not even going to mention that taffy apple thing since you clearly know ;). Instead of the buttermilk pancakes which is not approved,  try the protein pancakes (bodyforlife.com/.../breakfast-protein-pancake).  To add a carb to the whey protein you are taking have a piece of fruit like an apple.

I also noticed you said you worked out back, biceps and legs which isn't like the program outlined in BFL…Are you doing a split routine?  That’ll be fine as long as you give yourself a few days of rest for each muscle group, though if you are doing a split routine you probably already know that.

@spartanman- Congrats on finishing C2! That’s a great accomplishment.  MSU seems to be having a very good year unlike my Colorado buffalos :( Keep going!