Newbie starting October 3rd 2011 - anyone ready to rally up??

• I really don't try to hit a certain heart rate on the elliptical.  I just try to keep above a certain speed as I increase the resistance during my peaks.  With the last peak I hit my highest resistance for the session.

• Hi, I'm from the UK, anyone else? I bought my husband the DVD a couple years ago and we went through the 12 wk program, bit didn't enter the comp. We did really well and worked out together. Only plan that's really worked for me. Still regularly go to the gym but need a new challenge so decided to get back on the program! I'm 41 and, so I'm told, I don't need so many calories as I get older, I think this is true!! Looking forward to hearing from other over 40 ladies.

Lucie

• So I'm liking the program and I'm not hungry on it or wanting to eat all of the crap that is around at work.  Not sure I like getting up so early to work out because I have no time the rest of the day.  

I did a bad thing today.  I weighed myself.  I know it isn't about numbers and it is about feeling healthy and losing inches blah, blah, blah.  But I'm 35 and weigh over 200 for the first time in my life even during 3 pregnancies so numbers mean a lot to me.  I am also aware that most of it is water weight but I'm pretty pumped to continue getting up and eating this way since I lost 4 pounds already!!!  My friend who I have dragged along with me is down 5.2!!!!  I'm hoping this is the push I needed to get on track!  

Thanks for the support pretty sure I will be here everyday just to check in.  

• Good afternoon everyone!

Good LBWO this morning. Feeling very stiff in my upper body... guess that's a good thing!

Kittyfisher - Im in the UK as well (London) whereabouts are you?

Where is everyone from?

Tracey

• What a great thread that is going on here. I also just started the 12 week program this week. This is my third time trying it. The first two times I tried it was several years back when I was a bartender, needless to say bartending and B4L don't go together very well but now that I am in a normal 9-5 I am much more confident I will get through it.

Here is a little blurb about me. I am a 32 year old male, This year I got on a scale at the end of December and found that I was the heaviest I have been in my life and decided I wanted to do something about it so that I could be in shape and be able to keep up with my 2 year old daughter as she grew. I started by using games such as WiiFit and the EA Active products for the Wii for about 7 months. At the end of the seven months I got into running and am happy to say that since the start of the year I have lost 115 pounds and went from a size 46 to a size 43. The reason why I have started this 12 week program is to begin to build habits so that I don't gain my weight back as well as add some muscle tone and become more defined.

Today was day three for me and I finished my LBWO this morning, right now I feel like I an barely walk since I used too heavy of a weight on my lunges.I am not looking forward to how I feel tomorrow.

One thing I have found that has kept me motivated each day is I started a blog to talk about how things have been going and I have been updating it since Feb. I don't know if I can post links but if you want to check it out you can search for bragin bout bumpus on blogspot and see what has been going through my head as I have been doing this.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to reading about how it is going for everyone and support each other through these next 12 week.

Good luck to everyone

• Don't worry so much about the scale Kelly as how your are feeling, clothes are fitting, etc.  Remember muscle takes up less space, but weighs more than fat.

So even though the scale may not be showing much change, you will see the change as you change your body composition.  That is why they recommend getting your starting body composition documented so you can see at the end the amount of muscle gain and fat loss (which won't necessarily show up on a scale).  

Remember it's a marathon not a sprint....

• GREAT JOB Bumpus on the changes you have achieved so far this year.

Also good job on getting your workout in today.  

• Ok.. here is my update for today.  I started getting a head cold yesterday so went to bed early last night and slept in this morning to let the body recharge.  I will be doing my LBWO tonight after work.  

• I am starting the program today 10/5/11. I am excited! My  oldest brother did this program 3 years ago losst a lot of weight and gain muscle, he still looks great. What part of New Zealand do you live? One of my brother's is there in Kaikohe.

• Hi Tracey!

How far into the program are you?

I did a LBWO this morning also and i suspect that I'll be very sore in two days. This is technically only my first week but I did a practice week last week with only two weight training days. One upper, one lower, of course. I was sore last week after the upper body day but I'n not sore now after doing it on monday. 'm surprised because I truly did push myself. I guess I'll have to try harder if I want to get that satisfying soreness later on. Keep up the good work!

And, to answer your question, I am from Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA.

Patricia

• Hi Cathryn,

Welcome aboard! Let us know how it's going. Have you ever done it before and are you familiar with the different components of it? if not, ask away! It's quite nice to have this community of like minded people to talk to and to have people ask how you're doing.

Did you do the upper body work out today? If so, how did it go?

Patricia

• Hi, thanks for posting. It's interesting to see how many of us there are who have done it before and either not registered for a challenge or not quite finished. I've never gotten involved in the community aspect of it before and I find it to be very nice to have others to talk to, people who will know just what I'm talking about.

I'm sure you're right about that lower body soreness that happens a day or so after a killer lower body workout. It's the kind of soreness that tells you how hard you worked though ... so, if you've gotta be sore it might as well be for a good reason like that. it's kind of satisfying, isn't it?

• Hi Kelly!

How long have you been doing the program now? Good for you that  you've been getting up early even though it's a real sacrifice. I can understand not liking it ... but how do you feel about yourself for having done it anyway? I love the feeling I have when I leave the gym, it makes me think about all the benefits and how glad I am doing it each day. The pain in the neck part is well worth it in the end. I don't feel good about myself when I'm not doing it.

The scale is tough to deal with. I haven't weighed myself because the numbers can be discouraging. I've  seen how much of a difference low body fat makes even when the scale is still higher than I'd like. The lowering of body fat makes a huge difference in appearance and size. There are so many people who talk about that in the women's success journal. Some didn't lose a pound but they got smaller and leaner and more muscular.

But, you're already losing weight ... and it shows on the scale! You're also making great changes that you can't even see yet. Keep up the good work! I'm glad you have a friend to do it with.

let us know how it's going!

Patricia

• Hope you're feeling better soon. At least you'll feel good psychologically after you do that killer LBWO this evening. Good for you that you're doing it anyway. Sounds smart to get the sleep you need when you're trying fighting a sickness.

Keep up the good work!

Patricia

• Hey there Kittyfisher a.k.a. Lucie!

Welcome! There are lots of us who are new here ... and it's great to keep each other company and cheer each other on. Is your husband doing it with you?

Did you know that you can join a challenge now that doesn't start until the 2012 ones start. I wrote to them to ask about it and I started on 10/3 and will be registered into the first challenge next year. Are you planning on registering?

There is a thread for ladies over fifty and there are plenty who are only in their forties. If you'd like to try posting there I'm sure they'd all welcome you as a friend. Grown up is grown up ... fifty, forty... sixty, thirty ... who cares! We've got lots of things in common ... BFL being what brings us together.

Let us know how it goes.

Patricia