Newbie starting October 3rd 2011 - anyone ready to rally up??

• Merry Christmas Everyone!

I am so grateful for the friendships that I have made here. Thank you for your support, love and understanding. 

I wish you each a Christmas filled with the warmth of friends and loved ones. 

Merry Christmas!

Did a 5-25 cardio session this morning and did not snack once today!  I will have tomorrow as a free-day and order a chicken and make some mashed potatoes.  I think I even have a can of cranberry sauce in the fridge.  Just one meal and maybe one glass of wine with it, cuz it is Christmas, but on Monday, I have planned a full week on the plan, yet not part of a challenge. C2 begins on January 2nd and I figure that with all the time I have lost in C1, I can use this week to make up for some of that.  Besides, the last thing I need to do is take a week break... again, lol.

• Hi again everyone,

Lisa, I enjoyed seeing the cozy moving snow scene you posted. I smiled as soon as I saw it. Thank you for putting it up! And it sounds like you are doing very well. You're very ambitious to continue to do the workouts this week, the one time we could justifiably take one week off. I admire that.

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a week or more. I knew that it was going to get super busy last week and planned out the workouts but since tuesday have been busy with other people here, hosting a family party for fifteen people. It all worked out very nicely and I feel very blessed. I'm stilll working on putting everything away now.

I took my pictures today. It's just three days from the official end of the challenge so I had to get them done. I used my former method of setting up the timer with the digital camera and running back and forth. It certainly makes for consistency and doesn't allow any "posing, special complimentary lighting or careful angles"

I ordered the Body for Life success journal two days ago. It should arrive before the challenge starts next week. If it doesn't then I'll just start with the usual print outs. I'm looking forward to having one book to keep track of all of it though. I was using a looseleaf notebook and would take out a weeks worth of papers at at time and keep them on a clipboard. It worked but it was a bit clumsy. This'll probably be better.

I'm not going to the gym this week so that I can look forward to getting back to that routine next week. I'm looking forward to that eating plan too. It amazes me to see how easily I slip back into my old habits of putting off eating and then just nibbling, enough to stave off hunger but not enough to nourish me properly.

I haven't sat down to write out anything about my last challenge. I think it will be helpful to do so. One thing I want to do is figure out what I'll do a little differently.

I hope everyone is well.I look forward to hearing from all of you and starting up together again.Do we want to continue to use this thread or start a new one?

•  

Okay, here are the results. Mind blowing they're NOT ... marginal is more like it. Oh well! I'm happy I did it and plan to do it again.
    My analysis: The area below the waist from the back view is the only area that looks any different to me. ( well maybe there is a bit of a "butt lift" thing going on too ... but don't stare!) I am marginally smaller overall.
    My side view shows such terrible posture. I really, really, REALLY need to work on that.
    The gush in the belly area is stubborn. That is truly a hormonal thing since I never used to store fat there at all. I think that some of that is bad posture though and it makes any fat there more apparent. The other thing is that I generally don't eat much and eating carbohydrates on a regular basis is a new thing for me. I feel great but I think my body is still getting used to being fed on a regular basis. I am not getting fatter so I intend to keep eating this way. If anything I am aiming to eat more often since I miss many of my six meals. I think that as my body composition changes to having more muscle the fat will continue to go away. ( slowly and subtly ... even though I wish it was quickly and dramatically) 
    I'll be doing challenge II starting January 2, 2012 and I expect to see more slow, subtle changes. 
    PatriciaK

Hi again everyone,

Lisa, I enjoyed seeing the cozy moving snow scene you posted. I smiled as soon as I saw it. Thank you for putting it up! And it sounds like you are doing very well. You're very ambitious to continue to do the workouts this week, the one time we could justifiably take one week off. I admire that.

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a week or more. I knew that it was going to get super busy last week and planned out the workouts but since tuesday have been busy with other people here, hosting a family party for fifteen people. It all worked out very nicely and I feel very blessed. I'm stilll working on putting everything away now.

I took my pictures today. It's just three days from the official end of the challenge so I had to get them done. I used my former method of setting up the timer with the digital camera and running back and forth. It certainly makes for consistency and doesn't allow any "posing, special complimentary lighting or careful angles"

I ordered the Body for Life success journal two days ago. It should arrive before the challenge starts next week. If it doesn't then I'll just start with the usual print outs. I'm looking forward to having one book to keep track of all of it though. I was using a looseleaf notebook and would take out a weeks worth of papers at at time and keep them on a clipboard. It worked but it was a bit clumsy. This'll probably be better.

I'm not going to the gym this week so that I can look forward to getting back to that routine next week. I'm looking forward to that eating plan too. It amazes me to see how easily I slip back into my old habits of putting off eating and then just nibbling, enough to stave off hunger but not enough to nourish me properly.

I haven't sat down to write out anything about my last challenge. I think it will be helpful to do so. One thing I want to do is figure out what I'll do a little differently.

I hope everyone is well.I look forward to hearing from all of you and starting up together again.Do we want to continue to use this thread or start a new one?

• I just tried to edit this post and take out my pictures. It's just too disconcerting to have to see them myself ... and the thought of others viewing them is uncomfortable. They're not exactly inspiring either! If they showed major improvements and inspired or encouraged others then it might be worth the indignity of having them up. Maybe I'll post them in the future when I have even more "after" pictures to go with it. It is part of the reality of this plan though, even with hard work in every area and success with the workouts and eating and cardio themselves ...sometimes the results aren't all that apparent. I've been reading about that in Tim Ferris's Four Hour Body book. There is a genetic predetermination with fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fiber and if you're the slow twitch muscle fiber type then it's hard to put on muscle. Tim Ferris supposedly has some solutions but I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm still a believer in using this method anyway so I don't have to find out Tim's secret weapons yet. If they cost money i won't be able to do it anyway. 

• Woohoo Patricia!!!  You look fantastic!  Ok, let me tell you what I see...

First of all, definite muscle definition and toning of your skin. Those love handles (small as they were) that you had in your starting pics are totally gone in your latest pics.  Your shoulders have a much nicer squared look, compared to the rounded look they had in your first pics.  Your triceps muscles are visibly more toned and tightened and smaller. Your stomach is tighter and smaller than your before pictures... and I do believe that I see abs!!  I can't wait to see your abs after your second challenge.  Now, lets move on to your lower half... AWESOME butt lift!  Your butt reshaping is really visible in your side pictures and you're developing a definite rounded butt curve..  It's very obvious that you're hips have shrunk in size and you're just smaller all over.  Awesome progress!!

I did a 5-25 cardio workout this morning.  Taking tomorrow off, and then will do cardio Sunday morning.  No big plans for New Years, might have a few beers.  I am starting Challenge 2 on Monday, and I am going to do an 18-week challenge this time and do the inner challenge work that Bill talks about on his Transformation site, as my Transformation book finally arrived in the mail.  I am super excited about the new challenge.  I've uploaded my tracking Excel sheets, just in case you want to use them or just see what I am doing.  I will keep note of my workouts on paper and then transfer the info to the computer, because computer tracking seems to work better for me.

BFL_Daily Check-off Chart... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26967871/Body-for%20LIFE/BFL_Daily%20Check-off%20Chart.xlsx
    Body-for-LIFE_Daily Workout Routines... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26967871/Body-for%20LIFE/Body-for-LIFE_Daily%20Workout%20Routines.xlsx
    Body-for-LIFE_Weekly Eating Plans... http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26967871/Body-for%20LIFE/Body-for-LIFE_Weekly%20Eating%20Plans.xlsx

I haven't actually noticed any differences since my last pictures, so am not going to take new ones now.  I will wait until I am 4 weeks into the 18 week challenge and take pictures every 4 weeks.

I hope you all have a really awesome New Years!!

Lisa

• Lisa, thank you for the careful analysis and encouragement.

It sounds like you're doing great. Are you going to take pictures to have as the "before" shots? We'll be glad we did four weeks into the next challenge.

I am planning things and researching a few things I'm going to do differently. I'll keep you all posted. I got the success journal in the mail yesterday. I think it'll make the planning and organizing easier. I bought a used one though ...and guess what ... it's USED! ( i had hoped that it wasn't written in since it's a workbook) There was no mention of it in the description so I am actually going to ask for a refund and get one without someone else's plans and progress already using up the pages. In the meantime I enjoyed reading all the success stories on every other page.

Gotta go ... shall we use this thread or start a new one???

• Patricia, I really love the success journal and I know you will too.  I even bought a new one for the second challenge, lol.  I bought a used one too from Better World Books the first time around, but it was stated that it was like new and not written in.  I have no idea why they would even sell a used/written in workbook, because what good could that be?  If you do use Better World Books and go to the used section, you can find them at times with no writing in them.  This second one I got was new, but on sale.  

This thread kinda feels like home so I'd hate to change it.  So, I am ok with continuing to use this thread if that is fine with all of you.  If not, whatever you decide is fine with me.  

• Hi....and Happy New Year to all....

Still here, struggling to stay on track after my two trips out of state and now having houseguests.  I could make excuses, but they are just that ... excuses :(.  Right now I am trying to hold on until the next challenge starts.

The great good news (I think) is that my DH has agreed to join me on our next challenge -- starting in 4 days -- woo hoo!  I don't think he will join the online forum, but that's OK with me. I am just happy to have a partner in crime for eating right and working out, I am hoping this next challenge will go much more smoothly because we will be in this together. The last 6 months of being gone 2 weeks of every month took its toll on his physical health, so he is motivated to get back on track.

@Paul - I loved the reflection questions you posted and have promised myself that I will answer them and truly do some reflection....part of my January 1 activities.  What a great idea.

@everyone who posted photos: thank you!  This is about progress, not perfection, and I so appreciated seeing your progress.  Very encouraging.

@Patricia - I've been spending the last few days setting up & organizing my sewing room (finally got things situated in our new house since moving in July) and I am SO excited :)  

Enjoy your New Year's Eve everyone!

Kay

• P.S. I used the Success Journal very faithfully for the first 8 weeks of the last challenge and found it to be very helpful...when I stopped using it I definitely got off track, although I don't know which came first - getting off track or slacking off on using the journal.  My new one for this next challenge was ordered "used" and thankfully it has no writing in it.  

• Hi Everyone,

I assume we're all starting out tomorrow morning ... although I realize that Lisa's time is different than ours so she may be ahead of us already ... but are we all starting challenge 2 tomorrow?

Kay, that sounds great to have your husband doing it with you. It sounds like you've been very busy with travel and guests, hopefully it'll feel good to get back to your normal routine. How exciting to get your sewing room set up. It helps so much to have a good space to work in and to know where your supplies are. Maybe you can make some new clothes for your new physique or use sewing time to reward yourself.

Paul ... PaULLLLL ...PAAAAUUUUUUULLLL ... I really miss you and hope you come "home" soon. We all enjoy the Paulcronysms, the tough love and the kind encouragement you so freely give. ( and your humor of course) And we wanna see those biceps again!

I'll post here tomorrow and we'll see how many of us we've got here. On the new thread for those starting january 2 there are a gazillion people at last count ... I may post there too but it sure doesn't seem like the cozy little family we've got here. But if people are consistent they'll get to know each other and encourage each other just like we do. It seems like a big party there ...and that does have it's appeal.

I'm going to use printed out pages again for now. I set up a looseleaf notebook last time and printed out all the pages I'd need. I took out a weeks worth at a time and put them on a clip board. It's a reasonable system but I do want to use the success journal soon. It seems more efficient in many ways ... it certainly takes up less room.

Hope you all have a very good new year.

•  

Hello All,

Yes I am STILL alive... although with all the junk eating I have done over the last week it would be hard to tell.

So lets catch everyone up on what has been going on in Paulville...  

On the 24th, I did my HIIT that morning and then went to get my body fat measured (bodpod style).  The numbers weren't as low as I was hoping for... 19.6% or so... and in looking in the mirror I could tell they weren't as low as I would have liked them to be.  In talking with the guy their his recommendation was to really focus on putting on muscle mass right now (build a bigger fuel burning engine to burn off more calories as he put it) which while it will add a little more overall fat, ideally should help reduce the overall % bodyfat.

Here are the final results...

Starting

Midway through

Final Results

I am going to start another 12 week cycle tomorrow, and will keep using this thread (since sounds like the one people want to stay in), but probably will be a different workout program vs. BFL.  I will keep on the eating program though... I still haven't decided everything yet.

Right now I am a little disappointed in myself with all the junk that I ate over the holidays, but tomorrow we start the year over again and get back with it.

I will post my question answers this week...  I hope everyone had a great Christmas and a safe and happy New Years.  I know I am my own worst critic, but I just have to keep reminding myself that it is a journey.

Take care,

Paul

• Good morning everyone!

Paul, I'm very glad you're back!

Thank you for posting your pictures too. I think you look more muscular in the shoulder area in particular. It looks more dense and your shape seems to be more dictated by muscle than fat.

Your side view looks more streamlined and I remember you saying that you had to buy smaller jeans so there is definite progress in the right direction.

I can certainly relate to the results not being all you had hoped for since that is what i experienced too. However, you and I and Lisa all had determined early on that we were in this for the long haul and we'd appreciate the success and results we get and then continue on and see more and more of them.

I was reading the Four Hour Body by Tim Ferris recently and he has some information that I think relates to this. It is about slow twitch vs. fast twitch muscle fibers and how that relates to both putting on muscle and losing enough fat to show definition of that muscle. We supposedly are genetically predisposed to get a set amount of a certain type. The ones with more fast twitch muscle fiber put on muscle and lost fat much more easily. Reading that helped me to make sense of the astonishing results that some people get during the twelve week challenge whereas others results are more moderate.

He found out about a test that can be done to determine what type of muscle fibers you have a preponderance of. His were of the type that makes it harder to show that six pack (an aspiration you and he share) BUT ... Tim being Tim and all ... he found a way around that and managed to get his body fat super low, build a substantial amount of muscle in a short time and got his first six pack within a few weeks. He has specific guidelines for eating, exercise and supplements that supposedly will help anyone to do the same.

Okay, reports time; UBWO #1 is DONE! I actually lowered some of the weights I was using because I wasn't able to do the last set in good form. I did a few extra with a lower weight, trying to reach failure or at least build strength.

I'm following Bumpusburns idea of planning the next days workout right after you finish. I really like that feeling of being prepared ( it's new to me!) and i anticipate the workout more that way instead of approaching it with a bit of confusion to slog my way through. ( that's what it feels like if I don't plan it the night before)

Eating is going fine so far ... ha ... I'm one meal into the day. One change in eating for me, I'm aiming for the lower glycemic index carbs as much as possible. I ate small white beans with egg for breakfast ( and arugula so it would have color and more flavor) I may actually narrow it down further categorically. Years ago I had to follow a diet that was very limited, easier to look at what I could eat than what I couldn't since ... I could eat meat or fish, most vegetables and a few low gluten grains. I did fine and followed it strictly for a long time. I couldn't have any thing that had natural sugars or "molds" so no dairy ( lactose), no fruit (fructose) no vinegar or mushrooms and no wheat, rye, oatmeal, etc. I had to work on what to eat at first but in no time I had figured it out and it wasn't hard. Following it strictly made it much easier. So, I may do something similar with this eating plan.

Hope to hear from all of you soon.  

• Helloooooooo Everyone! :)

Paul, you look fantastic!  I am totally blown away with how you've transformed in 12 weeks!  I can see definite muscle definition, especially in your back.  Your waist is really so much smaller and your love handles have almost disappeared. Your pecks look tighter and higher and the change in your posture is amazing; you definitely stand taller.  I can't wait to see your results at the end of this next challenge.  Awesome transformation!!

Patricia, your diet sounds perfect!  I think that the lower glycemic carbs are the trick to balancing your insulin levels and keeping your appetite in check.  I have started to eat more beans and lentils and raw veggies.  I make a really good green lentil salad with chopped onion, parsley, green pepper, and fresh lemon.  I tried bean dip, but was not that fond of it so I think I won't make that gain, lol.

I have stopped doing the Body-for-LIFE normal workout and have changed to the 5-25 cardio and weight workouts.  I never really got that ripping burn during the last challenge and when I did the 5-25 UBWO this morning, my muscles burned, literally almost went numb at the end of each and every set of reps.  I could not wait to finish it, cuz it was so intense and when I was done, all I could think was how I can't wait to do that again on Friday, because I think I'm finally going to get the results I want.

I am also doing the 5-25 cardio twice a day, morning and evenings.  In the evenings, I eat at 6 pm, then wait an hour and a half, and do the 5-25 at 7:30 pm and am done at 8:00 pm, and wait till 9:00 pm to have my last shake of the day and I do not put carbs in that last shake.  I put in half cup of fat free milk, but that only has 5 calories in it.

My diet is spot on!  My only snack today was a sliced up raw zucchini.  When I do my cardio or workouts, I sip on room temperature water with fresh squeezed lemon in it, because that is supposed to be really good for detoxing and should be drunk on an empty stomach.  I have also started having 3 shakes a day, because I read on the transformation site that those shakes help us lose the fat and if we actually eat real meals for all 6 meals, it can take a really long time to lose the fat.  Having 2-3 shakes a day can result in up to 15lbs of fat gone in a month and I am losing ALL the weight, in the next 18 weeks.  I am doing the 18-week Transformation Challenge and when I am done, I am gonna have the body, mind, and focus that I want in my life; 2012, here I come!!

Hope everyone has a fantastic cardio session tomorrow morning!

Lisa

•  

Woohoo!!! What an awesome day.  We're doing this!  Everyone have an awesome Day-2 cardio-day today. 

• G'morning everyone!

@Lisa, that post brought a nice smile to my face! And you are such an encouragement to all of us, thank you for that. You take time to examine our progress and help us to see it. It sounds like you are going strong and doing great! I love lentil salad type foods too ... isn't that something that is a little more common in turkey than here??? Maybe I'm all wrong on that one ... don't know. Yours sounds delicious. I made one last night that i am thoroughly enjoying ... I'll return the favor and say how I made mine too.

1 can "small white beans" ( that's what they're called, they're not cannellini and not navy beans, I like them better than those beans)

1 can Garbanzo beans

1-2 cloves garlic, pressed, grated or finely chopped

about half a bunch of chopped flat parsley

zest of one half lemon ( yellow part of rind only)

juice of one half lemon

about three tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

and then I used freshly ground salt with edible flower in it and some with mixed peppercorns in it. ( this part can easily be replaced with regular salt and pepper)

and of course,, it can be modified any of a gazillion ways ... but this tasted great. Similar to caesar salad because of the lemon and garlic. I may add anchovy and worcestershire, dijon mustard and a bit of freshly grated parmesan next time to push it in that direction even further.

Lisa, I'll have to look into the eighteen week thing further. I like the emphasis that is put on the internal changes along the way. I also like that 5/25 type of workout with no rests. I like how it gets my heart rate up so well. I go back and forth between doing things the BFL prescribed way ( with the sensible explanations he gives for it) and doing it other ways ( that have equally valid rationale)

@Paul ... I'm glad Lisa gave you a more adequate analysis of how your success shows in your physique! I apologize if I keyed into the "slightly disappointed" part a little too quickly. It's because i could relate so easily. You are doing great and have been an inspiration in so many ways and I totally expect to continue to see changes in you .. and at some point all of us are going to find them mind blowing. So what if it takes a little longer ... it's a darn good habit we're getting into and we're learning and improving all the time.

@ Kay; You said you and your husband were starting in four days ... is that TODAY??? If not, it's soon and I look forward to hearing how it's going.

Looking forward to seeing the posts from all my friends here ...

Patricia