ALL ABOARD 8-22-11!!!

• I bought the journal book and am filling it out. I am bit nervous because this will be hard for me. First of all I am not to much over weight so I often justify just looking the way I am. Secondly, when they did my surgery I was cut from hip to hip to scrape all of my organs, so I have no core muscle, plus one more justification.  Also I call my condition "synergy" not ADD (either way , it makes it hard to stick to a goal and complete it)......   NO MORE EXCUSES (LOL) ......  The truth is I do want to do this because i want to look great for my hubby and for me. Also, I think business women have more credibility when they look in shape, and I want more energy to play with my kids.  I just pray I can stick with it.

• Wow you are a true inspiration, what a great job you did the first time. lets do this one together!!!!

• Oh how awesome. I had no idea the group I would be blogging with was Christian. I just love the way God works. Ultimately we should be doing this for His glory. Thank you for the reminder.

• Help.

1. I am so super busy. I have a softball game and cheer game for my daughter every weekend, a JV football game and traveling baseball tournament for my 15 yrold son, and a football game and traveling baseball tournament for my 17yr old son. every weekend. Also during the week we have practices for all that, I am a port chaplain, I run a church preschool, and I am always always busy. I am a l ready getting up an hour early starting Monday, just so I can have time to exercise. How am I going t get through the diet part. I can not count calories or be on strict meal plans. Not only does my life style not allow it, but I have tried and I am not disciplined enough. Is there an easy way to diet. I wish I could just not eat all together.  Can I just use the Hypoglycemic index to diet?  Does anyone have a solution to suggest? Also what is C3?

I do not have a gym to go to or a personal trainer. I also do not have a way to find out my mass body index. Any suggestions? I really want to do this! Please also this my prayer request. Please pray I keep up with this. i don't want to be the one left behind. Increasing my energy and finding more prayer time are the two things I think God really wants me to do right now.

• Hi Solarekm,

I'm no expert, but can empathize with the busy schedule. I take f/t classes, work f/t and try to keep my family going as well (we travel a lot for our kids' judo). The thing that has worked for me is to dedicate one day per week to organize for the following week. That means preparing meals and snacks ahead of time, stocking up on bars/shakes to act as meal replacements and planning the workouts for the week.  Keep a list of "allowed" foods in the car and on the fridge to help guide your decisions.

As for the workout, you don't need to get fancy to get the workout in. Can you pick up a simple set of free weights from Sears or off of Craigslist? You can accomplish most of what you need with a pretty small collection of hand weights and maybe a bench if you have the room and money.

As for the BMI, you should be able to get a reading from your doctor's office (the diabetic offices at the hospitals usually have meters too) or local gym. Yes, the gym's probably want you to be a member, but it can't hurt to ask. Another option may be to go to your local university's PE department and see if someone can give you a reading.

I know you are looking for "easy", but you just have to inventory the reasons for wanting to make the changes and make your health a priority. The way I look at it is I am doing it for myself and for my family. It sets a good example of the importance of self care to have a better quality of life for us all and to let my kids know they need to care for themselves by taking action.

Faith in a higher power is important, but faith alone will not get you to shed weight and build muscle :-)

RosieRose

You don't always get what you wish for, you get what you work for.

• Oh yes, C3 is Challenge number 3.

RosieRose

You don't always get what you wish for, you get what you work for.

• SOLAREKM:  Don't "over-think" this.  Consider this NOT to be something you have to work in to your already busy schedule.  Rather, consider how much better you could handle it with more energy and overall "feel good" conditioning!  

Workouts:  The fact that BFL workouts only take 20 - 45 minutes to complete and don't need any real special equipment is a big advantage over all other programs.  Don't worry about a gym:  If you have a bench and a few different weight dumbells you have what you need to succeed.  Heck, even if you don't have any weights at all, there are plenty of body weight exercises you can google online.  Just get started and do "something" for each muscle group.  Anything is better than nothing as long as you push to reach the intensity levels, sets and repetitions needed to tone and build muscle.

The eating:  DON'T count calories.  My entire first challenge that I lost like 34 lbs - I never once knew nor cared how many calories each day added up to!  Keep this "simple stupid" by just knowing that you are going to eat 6 small (key here is small) meals per day.  - I'm busy too and eat at least two meals/day as a protein bar (Clif Builder, Pure Protein etc..) or a good shake - But shakes don't stick with you as well.  Sometimes one of my meals is a banana and a hand full of raw almonds with a bottle of water.  The only rule of thumb is that each meal must have:

1. a "protein" (palm size if food or about 15g or more if liquid) 
    2. a "carb" (fist size if food like potato etc..) 
    3. at least two meals per day having a vegetable serving (cup or more of some "steamed" or raw, but not sauced, buttered or salted to death).  Enjoy a meal or two of whatever you want on your Free Day each week.
    4. Drink water like you are a fish!  I drink about 6 - 8 17 oz bottles during a challenge per day.  If you plan your day around where the nearest bathroom is, you know you're drinking enough!  LOL

C3 was just short-hand for this being my "Challenge #3" this year.  You'll see more abbreviations soon like UBWO, LBWO, HIIT (Upper Body Workout, Lower Body Workout, High Intensity Interval Training)

Plus, as the Apostle Paul writes:  "for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come." (1 Tim 4:8).  So if you know that God is wanting you to find more time to pray and for you to have more energy; you have to be obedient to HIS wishes.  That may mean doing BFL, and it may not.  Personally, I would advise that you carve out time and find a way to make it useful for both.  I like working out with an iPod that has scripture, sermons, praise hymns etc.., or just use the time of intense focus to pray to God as I workout or run.  Make the time profitable for eternity.  It's of very little just for vanity anyway.

Blessings to you!

Stephon

Blessings <><

Stephon

• Hey SUEBEE (Can we call you "honey"? - sorry, couldn't resist)

Welcome aboard!  The fact that you have maintained all this time is proof that you really "got it" that this is a life-long endeavor, and not just a "diet" to get what you want in 12 weeks and stop.  Unfortunately that is what some people come looking for with BFL, and that is sad because it really is pretty easy to maintain as a constant lifestyle if you look at it as a permanent change for life - as you obviously have!

I think you'll do just fine in getting that last 10 lbs dropped this time around!

Blessings <><

Stephon

Blessings <><

Stephon

• Welcome KATEBAKEROO!:

Welcome aboard!  Drifting sucks...I did that for way too long!  Joining the group will definitely help you, as I know it does for me!  somebody is ALWAYS up when you are down.  This causes two things:  

1. You to temporarily HATE the person...
    2. To get you off your butt and pull yourself back in the game!

Plus, I noticed you talked about you want to "feel that buzz" from before.  I've been through two consecutive 12 week challenges and then took 5 weeks before this one.  The one thing I notice these days, although I feel great and would never go back:  I don't feel the "buzz" that my first challenge brought due to the quick weight loss and changes in my body.  One thing you have to determine if you are going to change "for life" is what will make you stick with it when "the thrill is gone".  Maintenance is in all our futures WHEN we finally make it to our goal weight and conditioning, so make up your mind that it's the JOURNEY that will be interesting on a daily basis.  Some days you'll want to, some days you won't, some days you'll get a buzz, some days you'll just have to put one foot in front of the other in spite of yourself.  That's the only thing to keep "drifting" out of your future this time.

End of sermon. LOL.  Glad to have you here!

Stephon <><

Blessings <><

Stephon

• CLAUDE...."is that you Crab-man?"

Welcome aboard for another 12 weeks adventure!!!

Looking forward to it!

Stephon <><

Blessings <><

Stephon

• Welcome aboard RoseRose!

I think you and Solarekm are confusing BMI with Body Fat%.  This website under "tools" has a BMI calculator and all you need to know is your height and weight.  As for Body Fat, there is also under "tools" a calculator that you can plug your caliper measurements into to get Body Fat% (You can pick up a pair of manual calipers at most nutrition shops and Ebay).  There are also some affordable scales you can buy that also give you BF%, Hydration%, Muscle%, Bone weight and of course your weight.  I bought a scale on sale at Aldi's for about $15 and they are pretty accurate with the caliper measurements.

The main thing:  Go by how you feel, how your clothes fit, take measurements of all the critical areas to watch for change in your body.  Trust me, if you are getting results it will show in all those areas regardless of what the scales or Body Fat% has to say.  Most of us could give a HOOT about the numbers, so long as what we see staring back at us in the mirror makes us happy!

Blessings on your journey <><

Stephon

Blessings <><

Stephon

• Welcome aboard hr2011!

Look forward to taking this journey with you on board this group.  We try very hard to be supportive of everyone and helpful.  So I think you'll fit in nicely!

Blessings <><

Stephon

Blessings <><

Stephon

• Thank you so much. That is great advice. I do have a workout program from a friend (Insanity) I like it because you move at your own pace.  The list of food on the fridge and in the car is such a good idea. Where do I find the acceptable list?Is it in my book? I do want to work at it, I just hope I stay focused on it. Thanks again for the great price...and never worry about telling me like it is. I love accountability partners. It helps with motivation.

• Stephon, thank you for this great advise. I will spend time talking with God today... Well I always talk to God but I mean undisturbed dedicated time. I have had on my heart to complete thirty hours of prayer (talk time with God) and to stop and record each hour. If I can get through an hour a day, I will be blessed. If not, I will pick up where I left off and when I hit an hour, I will document.... I think God has big plans, which is why he has me documenting. I love praise and worship and I think I will run on the beach for some added exercise, while talking to HIm and listening to praise music. I will go back and read more of my BFL book, because I missed the workout, I thought we were just suppose to come up with one.  I am printing your tips and posting them on the fridge and in the car. Thank you and God bless.

• Welcome aboard wrightstuff!

Thank You for your kind words.  I feel like I have had "real world" success.  I didn't end up looking like one of the "Champions" photos that motivated me to get started in the first place; but, I lost weight and feel at least 20 years younger!  I'm happy with how my clothes fit, how I feel when I walk down the street, and THAT is worth it all!  What more can you ask of the program?

I do my workouts in a gym, but I do almost ALL my weight workout with dumbells and a bench.  I like the "free weight" advantages over machines.  I also use a "swiss ball" or whatever the current term is for the big beach ball you sit and lay on to do different things.  And I do pullups on the jungle gym down the street on my running days.  Figure out what weight would be your intensity "5 through 9" in dumbbells by trying them at Walmart or someplace and just buy what you need.  there are advantages to only using ONE dumbbell and switching sides, even for things like flyes and presses because it works more muscles to stay balanced as opposed to having one in each hand.  So if that savings appeals to you and allows you to get more weights, go that route!  Then some kind of stable "bench" will work, but see if you can find yourself a bench that has a back that can incline different settings from flat to upright.  That will allow you to do some "incline" flyes, presses and such which help work different parts of the muscles from laying flat or sitting up straight.  Any specific questions, just ask!

blessings<><

Stephon

Blessings <><

Stephon