Weight Training

• Hi everyone

So I am in America on a one year internship and have decided to do the BFL program 6 months before I leave.

I am a 26 year old male from South Africa and haven't got a clue on what weight to be lifting in either lbs or kgs - what would be a good starting weight for the upper and lower body exercises?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

• Also, doesn't it waste time swopping between the different weights and reps?

• Hey D-Man

Congrats on starting your BFL challenge.  

When I started my first challenge I worked out from home with a couple of dumbells & that was it!

So, what kind of gym do you have access to?  You can always use your own body weight to workout too, push ups, pull ups, lunges, squats, abs etc...

I personally prefer to use free weights, mainly dumbells so I can easily adjust the weight & can work out from home. Swopping between weights & reps helps to push your muscles, so you start out with a weight that you can do 12 reps of without going to fatigue, then go a bit heavier to 10 reps & so on, so by the time you get to your last 6 reps you are really working hard.  Make sure you aren't lifting or lowering your weight too fast either, the lowering part is critical so keep the muscle contracted all the way through.

Very simply you are trying to push your muscles, which causes small tears in the muscle fibres (add muscle soreness) and that helps them grow.

Try picking out some exercises from the book, write/download the exercise plan, hit the gym & see what you can lift, it can take a little while to work out how works for you, take a note of the weights & reps in your first session as a guide for your next session.  

HTH