Week 2 Plateau Already???? :o( Questions for those ahead of me. I need encouragement.

• I am in week 2, day 5...I am upset...So far, I've lost maybe a pound this week. Last week, I lost 7. I knew I'd hit a plateau. I just didn't think it would be so soon.

Did anyone else experience this the second week...then go back to losing pounds the third week?

I still have two days of this week left...but...it's kinda disheartening. I also understand all of the building muscle that weighs more than fat, don't look at scale so much, inches vs. pounds yada yada...curious about others' plateaus.

I'm going to stick to it...but I am so results oriented...I want to see pounds falling off. To take my mind off this, I compared my first LBWO to the one this morning...huge increases in strength :-) So...maybe I've put on a lil muscle? I just wonder if it is possible this soon (muscle gain).

Note---I am following the program and I've not been overeating or not pushing myself hard enough. I write down EVERYTHING I eat and all of my exercises.

• Please don't stop or give up!  As a veteran of BFL, I can tell you that there is no 'normal' rate of weight loss; everyone differs.  I usually plateau after 2 weeks but then my plateau usually last for 4 or 5 weeks!  The first time I did BFL, it was all I could do to keep from getting discouraged.  Thank God there is the forums to turn to.  Many people were posting that I wouldn't see real results until after week 8; to just hang in there.  Boy, was I glad I did.  Almost right on schedule, the weight starting really dropping after week 8.  I t had taken me 8 weeks to lose 10 pounds and then, all of the sudden, in the last 4 weeks, I lost 15.  So do not give up hope and do not get discouraged.  I've posted this is another forum but will post the 'paper towel' theory here in hopes that it will motivate you.  It's an excellent analogy.

Paper Towel Theory

Here’s a little inspiration for those of you who are worried about not seeing any changes in your body so far. It’s called the “Paper Towel Theory,” and Bob White sent it to me in 2003.

Let’s assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with only 84 paper towels on it (one for each day of the challenge). You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your “before” picture). The other one represents you (I’ll call your paper towel you “Ed”). The core represents the lean Ed. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean Ed. For sake of argument, let’s say that Ed wants to lose 21 pounds of fat, so (84/21) each sheet represents a quarter-pound of fat lost. Let ’s also assume that Ed loses his fat equally during each day of the challenge.

Each day during the first week, you tear a sheet off of Ed, representing the fat he has lost for the day. Next, you put Ed next to the full roll (“Big Al”) for comparison. No noticeable difference!!! Even at the end of the week! This can’t be working for me! But, being a good Ed, you continue to follow Body-for-LIFE. At the end of weeks two and three, you continue to compare Ed to Big Al, and still notice very little difference. That Mr. Phillips MUST be joking!

But Ed is determined! He works hard! Hitting his 10’s…eating his six daily meals. Three more weeks go by, the sheets peeling off day after day, before Ed gets up the courage to stand next to Big Al again. Holy Myoplex! Ed is skinny! OK, not skinny, but less huge!!!

By the end of the 12-week Body-for-LIFE program, Ed is down to his lean dream, or somewhere near it. Ed is happy. We are happy. Big Al - well he’s not so happy.

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around, that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover one layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same - your perception is just different! And you’ll never see the inside, if you aren’t patient while the outside is coming off!

Hang in there....you can do it!

• I lost 10lb the first week, but on any given day my weight fluctuates 4-5 lbs (water consumption etc)

THROW AWAY YOUR BLEEDING SCALE............... it is useless

Do not worry about weight at WEEK 2 or any week really... take before pics and then take the same pose every 2 weeks

When you get to week 12... YOU WILL LOOK BETTER and probably weigh a bowling ball or 2 less

The reason the guy called it Body for Life and not WEIGHT LOSS for 2 weeks is obvious...

I put on weight after week 1 for 4 or 5 weeks... then lost heaps and then gained again but YOU MUST build muscle to help you burn the

fat.....

Good luck and keep punching

I went out walking through the city center, it happened just the other day. Sometimes Sydney Harbor in the winter, blows a little luck my way.

• Hi!  For what it's worth, I can totally understand your feelings because I had them too at week 2 but feel much better now.  I lost 4.6 pounds the first week and then only 1 the second.  I know you're not supposed to look but I am a scale watcher, I can't help it.  But I did promise myself that I wouldn't let the scale get in the way and every time I got discouraged I would tell myself that my transformation would be great and then I the bad feelings go.  

Now that I am farther along (middle of week 6) I am starting to get what everyone has been saying (I think the paper towel analogy is awesome and really true).  I actually was coming on here to post to my group that I am beginning to feel my metabolism revving up this week and the changes are getting more noticeable.  Last week I lost 2.5 and this week should be another 2 with more to come; I can feel it.  

So just hang in there and keep doing the right things.  Check the scale if you need to but make sure you stay positive.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.

I know you can do it and that it will work for you!  You are doing everything right; including coming on here when you need a little encouragement.  hang in there!

• Did it take you 2 weeks to get in the shape you are trying to get out of??  Pretty sure the answer to that is 'no'.   Dont get fixated on the scale.  You can change your weight sooo easily by just eating, drinking, maybe tmi, but going to the bathroom etc etc..   And I'm pretty sure you've seen this post at least,

bodyforlife.com/.../4651.aspx

She lost 'only' 14 lbs..  

Dont get discouraged!   Stay on the program, do it to the best and you WILL see RESULTS.. not just some number!!!

• Don't get me wrong! I am in this for the long haul. I just wanted some words of inspiration and to hear from others about their experience.

I'm NOT giving up! I'm not a wuss...I've been kicking butt at the gym. I'll focus on that.

Mkay---game plan...stay off scale except for once a week...if then. I've a good mind not to weigh again until after Week 4 when I do my measurements.

Amy, I really like that analogy...I think I'll keep a roll of paper towels on my desk...haha...and take one off a day ;o)

Hi Mom O'...Thanks for your post...I started out thinking it would take me at least 2 challenges...because I've A LOT of fat to lose...I'd estimate about 60 pounds. I was hoping for about 2-3 pounds a week...and at the end of 2 challenges to be where I want to be- athletic, conditioned, healthier and happier.

Oh, I have a physical at the end of this month, too...in which pounds count...I have about 5 more I need to lose for the physical, which is why I started the program as early as I could...I don't want to mess up my insurance options because of some weight...so...that is another big concern. Probably the crux of me being disheartened.

• I have to admit that I did loose more weight in my first week of C2 than susequent weeks but like Bill himself said,  Throw away the scale.....because you will still continue to loose weight WHILE you put on muscle weight from all the work and protein consumed through proper eating habits. So don't dismay and please keep your chin up and hang in there.  I am in my 6th week and just last week (5) I was able to go down a full pant size out at the Mouse and everyone at my awards ceremony (for Cast Member of the Quarter) who knew me and saw me on this past  Wednesday, said I looked great and was still losing weight in all the right places(and that is judging with a full costume on to add to that...long sleeve shirt, tie, suspenders and long pants... the Larry King look sort of).  Suddenly on week 5 or so it seemed my fat loss took a kind of a jump and I dropped to 229 or 230 about another 3 or 4 lb loss from prior weeks, sooooo  stick with the program.... I am sure you will!!

• From reading your original post you seem almost desperate to have positive feedback from the scale and if you don't get that positive feedback, you assume you've failed.

This is about changing your life and getting fit.  The number on your scale is no different than any other data point, it's just a number.  

If you are adding emotional reaction to the numbers that create any type of discontent you should ask yourself why.  

It's way too early in the process to think of it as not working and that indicates that you expect it not to work.  That's a very quick way to do just that.

Put all measuring tools and devices away until at least week 4 and that should be the end of week 4 and the morning of free day.  Trust the process and "act as if" you are having the successes you desire.  Anything else is self-sabotage.

Also check and make sure you have realistic expectations.  Expecting weight loss each week while focusing on strength traing is a contradiction. Muscle is more dense than fat, yet 1 pound of muscle takes up 1/3 the space in your body that a pound of fat does.

Don't lose sight of what you set out to do and that is finish this challenge.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory