Anyone else starting on July 10/11, 2011?

• Pattymelt,

I've been searching for free weights.  They're soooo expensive.  Do you know of a good place to find some?  Looking for 15s, 20s, 25s, 30s and possibly 35's to start with.

• Lynn,

I would check garage sales especially now since many children are going away to college.  Also ask some of your friends, you will be surprised how many people have them laying around but don't use them. See if you can borrow them until you can save up for some adjustable weights.

Patty

We have the rest of our lives to perfect this....do your best and forget the rest!

• Lynn,

I don't know where you live, but check out Craig's List.  I know many people who have gotten good fitness stuff there for cheap.  

Jessica

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• C1, D1...checking in.  Ran 4.5 miles with hills today for my cardio.  Eating went well, too.  So far, so good.  Felt a little lack of motivation and craving for something not so healthy around 4 p.m., but looking again at my before pictures took care of that.  :)  I also was motivated to keep going after I read on my MSN home page that recent studies indicate that 12 states in the U.S. have at least 30% of the population who are obese.  Only one state in the U.S. has less than 20%, and that is Colorado at 19%!  YIKES!  Don't want to be contributing to those numbers!

• Thanks, Patty!  I am grateful for the advice and I will check in daily.  I am excited about being a part of this group.  I love how motivated everyone is and it is so nice to be in touch with those you have finished.  I want to be able to say that "I did it!" and experience all the benefits that come with completing it.

• Wow.  That's great!    4.5 miles is quite a run : )  

• Dpatt, It's all relative.  :)  I ran a marathon in May...yes you can train for and run a marathon and not lose a pound!  I know from experience that sticking to the BFL cardio plan works (technically this isn't my first challenge, I did one 8 years ago and had great results) but I don't want to stop running "longer" distances all together.   My cardio is fine, I need to hit the weights and eat right!

• Wow this thread is on fire already!! Hello everyone! Im happy to be a part of this thread and am really looking forward to checking in and keeping up with everyone here. Gonna take measurments sunday and bf% I bought a set of calipers. Went for a 4 mile run today as part of my week of AR. Felt good :-) im ready to rock this challenge and look forward to sharing both triumphs and slip ups as well we all are human after all.. the countdown begins.. much aloha all!

• Way to go on the runs bp8runner and Island_Dude! I have told myself I would make entering a race a goal this challenge, even if it is a 5k but gosh I hate running.  I have tried to get out there and train and after a mile I'm like... this is for the birds!

On the other hand, my sister is marathoner and she also suffers from similar issues as yourself, bp8runner. No matter how much she runs she can not lose weight or tone up. I of course have talked to her about weight training but she is so reluctant to pick up heavy weights, opting for 3 lb dumbbells.

I hope both of you can share some running tips with me.  I really need to learn how to pace myself and what to do when I get bored. Is that normal? I get bored running. I have tried music but then I find myself trying to dance to the music -- no bueno!  I was a sprinter in high school and think this is hindering my efforts to be a decent long distance runner. I eventually would like to do a Triathlon, so this running thing is a must for me to get down pack.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We have the rest of our lives to perfect this....do your best and forget the rest!

• Greetings from Colorado, the leanest state in the Union. Thanks for the factoid bp8runner. I think it was 19.1% until I did BFL ;)

Hope everyone is waking up to what will be a happy and healthy Friday.

Mawgs- I definitely enjoy alcoholic drinks but try to cut out as much as I can during a challenge.  Usually I don’t have any at all for at least the first month and then start to have some on my free day.  That’s just what I do, as long as you limit it to your free day you should be ok though I obviously you’d be better without any at all.  The problem with drinking during a challenge can be that it leads to bad behaviors. Some people have beer or wine and then their judgement is slightly impaired and then they go after unhealthy foods (god I love chicken wings with beer). Also, if you feel sluggish in the morning after having a couple drinks, you may not be as willing to workout early in the morning.  

In the book the 4-hour diet by Timothy Ferriss, he insists that that 1 or 2 glasses of red wine per night doesn’t do anything to his weight loss at all but I take that with a grain of salt. He’s a younger man than I am :)

As for weddings or any special occasions, I usually make that special event my free day off the week. So if the wedding was on a sunday, I would just skip my free day on Saturday and just have my free day on Sunday and have a good time without guilt.  This plan of course doesn’t work too well if you have 2 weddings in the same week.  If so you can skip the drinking at one wedding (I love club soda with lime) and have the chicken plate, scrapping off any sauce on it.

DPatt- Its good to see you so active on the boards already.  If you are toning up and you are working out from home, you should checkout this website : www.bodyrock.tv . Zuzanna has some great core cardio workouts there that you can follow long. They are almost all HIIT so you can definitely use them in BFL.  She is hard core! In terms of when to check in, check in as much as you want! Anytime at all. The key though is you need to check in when things aren’t so good or you aren’t as motivated. That’s more helpful than checking in when its all going well but we certainly love to hear from you all the time.

AtomMeg- Lol I know what you mean about the measurements and not looking forward to them but sometimes the best motivation is seeing yourselves exactly as we are. Through measurements and pictures you clearly see your physical shape, put aside any denials and just get ready to leave that in the past. I’m sure you’ll love seeing how much you’ve changed at the end of the challenge.

bp8runner- Great job on the run yesterday and motivating yourself to eat clean! I like the way you say C1, D1. I see you are taking it one day at a time which is exactly what we all need to do!

Island Dude- I’ve been doing cardio throughout my active rest as well but looking forward to hitting the weights again. It must be nice to be able to run through tropical paradise instead of suburban colorado ;) Your enthusiasm in your post is getting me pumped up to start!

Patty- Great advice as always! And I love your quote which I’m going to remember throughout this challenge “When doing your HIIT (high intensity interval training) make sure you are sweating like a pig in s*it.” I love it because it captures so well that great feeling when sweat is poring off your body!

Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat. - Malcolm Forbes . I think we call all relate to this quote!

• Oh I forgot to mention... I would do ABS after cardio not after legs as prescribed in the book.  John and I follow Ab Ripper X which are 11 moves, 25 reps each.  Some of my favorite moves for my abs are plank holds, plank twist, bicycles and leg raises. Don't work your abdominal muscles everyday...they need to rest just like every other muscle group in your body.

• Patty I've been doing ab ripper x on my lifting days. You might be onto something I may do it on my cardio days so its spread out more. thanks for the tip!

• Good morning, all -

Getting super psyched for Monday!  Been pretty happy that even though we petered out at the end of the last challenge (our first), we've still been maintaining our weight.  So it really is true - eating healthy and clean is half of the problem =)

Patty and John - what is this Ab Ripper X you speak of?  Years ago, I used to have nice abs, and I would like to find a program to follow to "find" them again!!

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend and I look forward to jumping into this next challenge with you all!!

Kris

• KrisWard - Ab Ripper X is the abdominal workout used with P90x.

Here is the video link:  

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1464945638519938565#docid=-1735636001980574279

Remember abs are made in the kitchen and once you get your body fat low enough they will start coming through.

• Excellent idea Pattymelt.  Thanks for the input.