Starting Sunday June 26th

• ok. cool. Ever since I've been in the Air Force, workouts are always longer than 20min, so I have that mentality that if I'm only doing 20 min, I'm not working out hard enough. For running, I'll mostly be focusing on getting my 1.5mi run time down for my PT test, so that combined with a warm up/cool down will be around 20-25min. However, spin classes are 50min here, but I will only be doing that once a week.

Challenge 1: June 26, 2011

• While I'll be keeping everyone updated here, I plan on going more in-depth by blogging at www.lifeoferin.com or www.myfitnesspal.com/.../Chowder_17. I've already posted two posts about preparation.

• Hello!

So glad to see there are others planning to start the challenge this weekend/Monday.  I'm signed up to start on June 27th and definitely need the support/motivation.  I've been reading the Champions book and it has been helpful, but I still feel somewhat lost with setting up a workout plan. Hoping to go to my gym over the weekend and work out my exercises/weights, etc.  Looking forward to being a part of this group starting the Program!

• Hey everyone! I just got back from wal-mart and if you didn't know already, they have the cheapest EAS products that I've seen, including the Internet. They had the RTD shakes 4pk for about $6.50, 4pk of bars for $6, and tubs of protein- whey $20 soy $10.

-at walmart.com they have them even cheaper!

• New here and first post to any BFL board.   Although I have all the BFL books and try to follow the diet plan, I have never officially done the program.   So after having a super bad week of eating, I'm commiting to the program and starting Monday.

Erin I love your blog and have already signed up for your feeds.   Great job on all the planning you've already done.  

Looking forward to getting to know all of you and getting some support over the next 12 weeks!!

"Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow."

• Well, I just got back from the grocery store and took my photos and measurements, so I think I'm good to go for starting tomorrow. The two challenges that I will be facing for week one are the fact this is my 1st week back to work from maternity leave and my mother in law will be in town tempting me with tasty cooking. However, I'm 100% committed to doing this and I'm not going to let anything stop me.

• Hi everybody!!  I was looking for a group to start with on Monday and you all sound like a good team already!  

This is my second round – I just finished my first 12 weeks on June 19, took a week off and going back at it Monday.   If you click on my profile you can see how I did.  This really works it’s amazing!!!!!

For me, the key to this program (which I like to call a “lifestyle”) is PLANNING.  Plan your meals at least a week in advance if you can, at least the night before. Many of you are already planning your workouts which is a great idea.  The books are a wonderful source of info and inspiration.  

I bought a itty bitty journal and pen at Dollar General that I take to the gym.  I keep track of the machine number, the weight I used and the Intensity level it was and the machine number I used for the last set of 12.  That way, the next time I do the upper body or lower body workout I know exactly what to set my weights at when I get on the machine.  I do workouts at home with dumbbells 1 or 2 times a week to switch it up.  

Think of your water bottle like a cell phone. Always with you and always checking it!  =)

There were times I got my butt off the couch and did cardio at 11 pm because my team was working it so hard and I didn’t want to be left behind!!  I never missed a workout. So what do you think about coming up with a team name?  It helps you feel like you’re a part of something bigger than yourself.  Any suggestions for team names? 

Erin – first, thank you, thank you, thank you for your service to our country!!  Congrats to you and your hubby on new baby!!  What a wonderful gift children are. I love babies!  Like you, my husband is benefitting from my new eating habits since I do the cooking!

Deda – I love the wineglass idea!!!  I don’t drink but I have some wineglasses and I am going to toast you (and the whole team) on Friday nights!

DTM – 25 lbs is totally doable on this lifestyle.  I am wanting to lose at least 20 more on this 2nd round so let’s do this thing together!!!

MoosMummy – we’re here for you to encourage you to stick to it this time!!!  Its WAY easier with partners!  You are right about concentrating on yourself – its only 12 weeks and your 2 year old and husband will be so BLESSED because of it.  My husband is so happy to see me with such energy and good attitude and desire to go for long walks and bike rides and I even enjoy working in the garden now (what??)  You just gotta quit licking the spoon!! =)

Julie – you are already outgrowing 15lb weights which means you DO have muscle under there girl!  Just peel off the layer of fat over it and you will be doing the body builder poses!  You already lost as much as you have left to lose to reach your goal so you know you can do it!  And this is a lifestyle that is not only easy to maintain, but once you have done it for a while, you want to do it.  I love the 1999 version of BFL book – its so well laid out and understandable.

Redgirl and Maddreamer – you are going to love this lifestyle and will be amazed at how well it works.  Just follow it like it says, no less no more and it will work for you I promise!  

For those taking before pics (which I can not recommend highly enough even if you set the timer on your camera like I did cuz I was too embarrassed) take some side shots too. Half way through I didn’t see much difference in my front and back pics but the side pics were like WOWZA.  Also, I would get out a tape measure and do neck, bust, waist, hips and thigh measurements.  So when the scale doesn’t move you still see that changes are happening in your body!  

Ready? Set? Lets GO!!

"Why choose to fail when success is an option?”  ~Jillian Michaels

Sally-for-Life!

• Thank oneofthebranches and welcome to the group! I'm not very creative, but I would love to have a team name. I'm really looking forward to starting tomorrow and I'm enjoying the last "free day".

I got the "Eating for Life" book from the library yesterday and the BFL book is scheduled to arrive on Monday. The "Eating for Life" book has me more excited, since the website was a little vague on recipes and I was worried I was going to starve, but now I have all sorts of things to cook. I've haven't been big on fast food for years, but I did eat a lot of frozen meals and other preservative food for lunch at work, so now I'll have to put a bit more planning into it.

If you think of any other tips to help us along, let us know! oh, what EAS products did you use?

• Erin and the rest of the newbies on here -

Welcome!  I am so happy that you have committed to doing the 12-week challenge.  You won't regret it!  I lost 50 pounds doing two "by-the-book" challenges.  This program really works and I'm happy to say, it is "doable" as a lifestyle (for maintenance).

The only book you need right now is the original book by Bill Phillips (sounds like most of you have it or will be getting it soon).  Follow the Authorized Foods List in that book.  You do NOT need the Eating for Life cookbook right now (that is for maintenance).

There are lots of ways you can journal your workouts and food, but I did get the BFL journal which is wonderful.  Every day there is a new inspirational story.  And I love that the workouts are outlined exactly as it is written in the original book.  If you don't want to get the journal though, you can download those exact pages from this website (I can't remember exactly how... I think it's under "tools").

Read the book from cover-to-cover.  Make some goals for yourself and make at least 3 self-promises.  To give you some examples:  one of my goals was to be able to fit into "medium" scrub pants (did it!), another was to lose 25 pounds (lost 32 pounds my first challenge).  As for self-promises:  I pledged not to drink any alcohol except on free day (mission accomplished), I vowed not to miss a single workout (didn't miss a single one in either challenge).

You just won't believe how empowering it is to fulfill these promises to yourself!  I wish I could bottle that feeling of invincibility!  It's amazing and I can't wait to hear how you all do.

Feel free to contact me any time with questions or for encouragement.

One of the branches - Look at you!!!!!!!  You are a veteran now and will love being in a leadership position here.  Congratulations again on your first challenge!  You're in the 5% club now!

Laurie, 2010 Body-for-Life Champion 46+

Never underestimate your power to change.

• Hi everybody!  I too am joining this challenge on Monday June 27th (need to get the rest of my shopping done tomorrow). I have tried to follow this program in the past and have never made it past the first couple of weeks.  I am in the right mindset this time and am determined to see it through and make this a true lifestyle.  I am looking forward to all of the positive changes to come, both mentally & physically!

• Hi everyone!  I've missed you the last couple of days!  :)  Been busy working and golf tournament today.  Boy, I'm glad that was over with before the start of my 1st challenge!  (bad bad bad food, drinks, more snacks!!!)  Not exactly ready for tomorrow's start date, will get groceries in the morning though and tomorrow I'd like to make my week's menu.  If I don't plan, all hell will break loose  :)

OneoftheBranches/Sally:  Thanks so much for all the info and motivation you gave us!  Wow! You look amazing and I cannot believe how much muscle you've gained.  I see in your pics how toned you look, congrats for being so strong to get through challenge #1!

Welcome to Reddgirl, Maddreamer and Desertdiva!!!

And thanks ladies for all the help with my "free-weight area of the gym phobia".  I'm going to go there tomorrow morning and rock it, with my head held high.

Erin, thanks for the tip about Walmart prices on the products.  I should get some so I always have good food on hand for quick meals.  I'm near Niagara Falls, Ontario, so it's a quick skip to the states (much better prices!!!!!!)

Desertdiva, I know it will help to get you through the 12 weeks (and beyond) if you check in here regularly.... definitely helps to keep me on track..... if it wasn't for this group of great people, I think I would have blown tomorrow's start date and put it off yet again.

I'll check in tomorrow, wishing you all luck and have a great time with this!!!!!  We're doing it for our health!!!!!  I have a feeling I may be a little sore the next couple days  :)

Julie

Challenge 1, June 26, 2011

• Hello all, I'm starting today, too.  Can I join you?

I've done this successfully in the past, and it really just takes that "This is for ME, get out of my way and let me do this for ME" kind of mindset.

I've begun several times in the last year or so but never make it past the first week, because I didn't, couldn't have that mindset.  I have a 17 year old daughter who's been my focus, but as of yesterday, I'm an empty  nester - she moved to her father's house a couple hours away to spend time with her friends and family (we moved away 4 years ago) and gently cut the apron strings before college.  We are very close, I was boo-hooing all over the place last night, but now I have the mindset.

It's time to put ME first again.  I'm 44, I have at least 20 or 30 lbs extra on me, most of which I'm pretty sure is cheap wine.  ;)  I have a treadmill, bowflex and a gym membership.  I love my own treadmill but don't like the bowflex - something about the weight room at my gym just makes me tingle.  I can easily spend an hour lifting weights in there.

So I'll hop on my treadmill here shortly, and just do a lower body here at home to get me started, using my own body weight.  The first one always hurts the worst and I wish I'd had time to do it last week!

I haven't done any shopping yet but I'm already fairly well stocked on what I need, just need to pick a few more things up once I clear the junk out of my fridge.

I have a great motivator - we are taking an almost 2 week long vacation in Europe at the beginning of August, and I'd like to look and feel at least a little better by then.   That's only 7 weeks away, so I'd better get cracking.

• Hi Suzanne!  Good for you, taking charge!  I love your "mindset" quote!!!!  I'm just heading to the gym, just had a smoothie (I have to eat soon after waking up since I have type 2 diabetes - working to reverse that though!!!!) and looking forward to gaining more energy.

I can't imagine how hard that is to have your daughter move further away... thank goodness for email & video chats eh!  And like you said, think of all the YOU time you'll have now!!!!

• Got back from the gym!  Whoo hoo, workout # 1 done!  Just had meal #2, going grocery shopping now.  I can barely lift my glass of water.  Not kidding.  LOL!!!

• Got my workouts done, too.  Did my HIIT on my treadmill, killed it that last minute.  Then did my LBWO in my kitchen.  I didn't even mess with abs - just lots of squats and lunges.  Hopefully I didn't overdo it and can run again tomorrow morning!  Either way, I'll hit the gym tomorrow night for an upper body.