Important About Free Day

• Hi Everyone,

I have just finished reading an article on the site about free day. Granted the book says eat whatever you want whenever you want on free day.. but.. it's a FREE day not a MAD day.

Eat whatever you want whenever you want but keep your calories between 2000-2500 calories on the day which should not be difficult. If you feel like turning the day into an eating marathon, still keep it within 2000-2500 calories not to set yourself back.

One more thing, and from so many questions on the forums, a free day is a day. It is NOT 24 hours from whenever you like to the end of the 24 hours the day after. Your free day can't start at Friday 7pm to end on Saturday 7pm. The human body understands the cycle of day and night, not hour and minutes.

Finally, if you are struggling to keep free day at ONE free day and find yourself carrying on eating wrong for the next two days, (something that makes many of us stop having a free day altogether), here are a  couple of tricks that will make you keep your free day at ONE free day:

-- During the free day, still eat bits here and there from the approved list of foods to keep your brain and taste buds prepared for tomorrow. I stick with brown rice and wholemeal pasta as I like the taste. Some lettuce or a piece of fruit from the approved list as well. But you choose what you like to keep you in touch with the rest of the week.

- Make the last thing to eat on free day something from the approved list, even if a morsel.

- Make your first meal on the day after (back to diet day) something you really like from the approved list. Don't start out the week feeling grossed out by what you will eat.

Good news is that as time goes on, you will really like what's on the approved list.

Now, one last thing, as it seems very popular among new comers: Everyone wants to cancel free day. You may think this shows strength and determination, but really... truly... will you be able to do that for the rest of your life? Leaving a free day out altogether for three months may not be a problem to some... but what about for three years or a lifetime? Cancelling free day will prepare you for binging like there is no tomorrow after the challenge is completed for all the results you achieved to be lost. Think of why many people who lost weight put it back on. Been there, and got the XL t-shirt.

Courage isn't lack of fear. It's our ability to carry on despite our fear

• I would add a couple things.  First is, that if you do go all out on a free day, (I did twice in C1) accept the fact and don't let guilt sabotage the full journey.  There may be times or situations where you just find yourself splurging.  And if you do. You do.  

I also think free day lets you realize that all those temptations aren't as powerful as they once were, and you can only know that by testing them out.

And finally enjoy free day for what it is.   This program isn't about denial, its about bettering ourselves in all way.  Enjoy.

• Great info, thanks!! And like what you said about having an approved item at the end of free day. I'm full but with have a small bite of something just to bring my mind back into focus. Thanks! How many cycles have you done so far? You sound like a pro!!! :-)

• Ruby4444,

I dont agree with that article at all, 2000-2500 calories may be alot of some but for others its not,for example why should a 220lb man have to stick to the same calories as say 140lbs man or women.For the smaller person this is alot but for the bigger person it isnt

• Sometimes we get caught up on a detail because in reality there's resistance to the concept.  The concept is solid.  

The calories would vary depending on the person.  Take the article in the spirit in which it was written.  

Also, if you eat primarily good food on free day with some extras, like cheese on your sandwich, then you likely can go more over.  If you use your calories for ice cream and pizza then over 2500 would be really a lot.  

disclaimer: I do not have free days under control.  I am no better than anyone else and I have real food struggles.  

Under ideal circumstances my free day would include only 1 free meal or an additional 500 calories.  Anything more than that is counter productive.  

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• whatever your allowance of calories you allow yourself on freeday, your not going to get better results if you chose to eat healhier stuff if your calories remain the same , a calorie is a calorie afterall at the end of the day

• That's completely untrue.  Let's say that my daily BFL calorie allowance is 1500.  Your argument states that if I eat 1500 calories of french fries in one sitting then I will have the same results as doing BFL eating with balanced healthy meals throughout the day.  That would be incorrect.  

You need to feed your body what it needs and in ways that it can process.  If it were simply all about the calories then calorie counting would work and it doesn't.  

• no im just talking about freeday, if your eating healthy for the past 6 days then on the 7th day just say you allow yourself 2500 cals , you wont get better results if those 2500 cals are healthy food, in face it can be argued that eating junk food will give you better results and heres why,the objective of the freeday isnt just psychological its physiological as well, for 6 days even though we are eating healthy we are eating in a deficet, cravings go up,hunger goes up and the hormone called leptin gets diminished in our bodies causing our bodies to slow fatloss, the replish leptin day we need to have a surplus day of eating to give the body the ok that we arent starving, the best foods to eat to replenish leptin levels are those than increase the production of the hormone insulin, and guess what foods do that folks, junky foods like pizza,donuts,ice cream etc, now you dont have to go on a hog fest but 1.5 to 2 times your current bodyforlife calorie levels on your 6 good days should suffice

• no im just talking about freeday, if your eating healthy for the past 6 days then on the 7th day just say you allow yourself 2500 cals , you wont get better results if those 2500 cals are healthy food, in face it can be argued that eating junk food will give you better results and heres why,the objective of the freeday isnt just psychological its physiological as well, for 6 days even though we are eating healthy we are eating in a deficet, cravings go up,hunger goes up and the hormone called leptin gets diminished in our bodies causing our bodies to slow fatloss, the replish leptin day we need to have a surplus day of eating to give the body the ok that we arent starving, the best foods to eat to replenish leptin levels are those than increase the production of the hormone insulin, and guess what foods do that folks, junky foods like pizza,donuts,ice cream etc, now you dont have to go on a hog fest but 1.5 to 2 times your current bodyforlife calorie levels on your 6 good days should suffice

• Potatoes replenish insulin just fine.  Also, eating BFL properly will keep insulin steady.  You never actually need a spike.  Sorry 6packmission, that's a terrible argument.  Also, if you read up more on physiological, you will find that cravings actually increase when we give our body what it's been craving.

• Your trying to twist my words,I know eating BFL will keep your Insulin levels steady, I never said it wouldnt, but eating BFL puts one in a calorie deficet for 6 days and diminishes leptin and slows fatloss, to replenish leptin we need 1 day of eating in a calorie surplus and the best way to replenish leptin is to raise insulin levels and the best way to do that is to eat foods that cause a spike in insulin, of course you dont have to force yourself to eat pizza or donuts if you really dont want to but you dont have to feel guilty if you do, all the science is backed up in this article called the leptin manifesto, written by Joel Marion author of Cheat to lose and former Bodyforlife champion

www.t-nation.com/.../the_leptin_manifesto

• Even Bill Phillips had a chapter about this in his eatingforlife book

• I had to research free day on the site and then post in the forum because Andrew, a friend of mine who is doing BFL with me, was eating 9,000 calories on his free day (in fact if I was strict in calculating his calories to the T, he might be eating 10k calories not 9k). We didn't realize he was doing that until he chuckled saying he finished a whole small tub of tahini on his free day. That alone was 1000 calories and nearly one hundred grams of fat. He grabbed a large of mixed bag of Brazil nuts, walnuts, hazels and downed them in a couple of hours watching TV. He was dipping them in honey or chocolate spread. These were the "sides". Not to mention the chicken burgers and fries for lunch, and the full fat barbecued rips he dipped in the tahini. When I calculated his calories his calories for him, he was horrified. When we calculated his previous free day, he had eaten 7000 calories worth of junk, etc.

it's important to have a free day to feel in control and not deprived. If 2500 will leave you feeling famished ( i doubt it but just for the sake of the argument), then where is the line drawn?

Andrew admitted that he was eating all that food on free day not because he craved it or was feeling famished, but only because he can and prepare emotionally for a week of dieting.

I am not an expert or a nutritionist, but something tells me that is just not right for someone planning to lose weight! There got to be limits drawn by the individual. Whether 2000/2500/3000 is our personal limit, 7000 and 9000 is just plain crazy.

On the one hand, if you weigh 400 pounds and your normal day is say 6000 calories, by dieting and making an effort and limiting a mad day to one day a week, you will notice change.

But for someone who will average 3000 calories a day, then diet and consume double or tripe that on a free day just because they have a green card to eat whatever they want, something just doesn't add up.

Courage isn't lack of fear. It's our ability to carry on despite our fear

• I just want to add my 2 bits.

I have learned to respect Jess - have known her for close to 2 years. She knows her stuff and has also completed a challenge with all the bells and whistles. Clean eating and hard work is what it took. For those of us that have not had results as she has ... we could listen up and use her advice for our own benefit.

A calorie is not just a calorie.

A calorie of fat has a different hormonal effect than a calorie of protein, which has a still different hormonal effect than a calorie of carbohydrate, which has a still different hormonal effect than a calorie of protein.

It is alot easier to just forget about all the details and trying to overanalyze. BFL works just by using the authorized food list and the palm and fist method to track.

• 10,000 calories!!!!!!!!! Good lord that is a huge amount! Since I'm trying to get bigger I try to get 3500, but with the proper protein/carb/fat breakdown, and it is hard to do that I can not even imagine trying to do more then that even on free day, my biggest problem would be the beer on my off day.