Starting 06/06/2011

• @BFL James - if yours pics are not for the faint of heart, neither is my mirror!  LOL - point is ... fact is ... we got started!

Actually feeling good about the fact that although my gym was closed yesterday and today - I found a way to get to another gym and did my workout yesterday (although completely different machines had me struggling to determine appropriate weight - but point is I did it).  

Today will be trickier because yesterday I was blessed with some down time during work day AND I was out of my office.  Today its going to be balancing act of leavign work a bit early and getting home a bit late

• Hope everyone's 4th day has gone well.

One of my problems from previous challenge attempts is that I didn't have any energy after work to exercise.  My work schedule is 6am to 2:30pm, but lately I've been getting out of work around 4:30 or later.  I was so mentally and physically drained that the last thing I wanted to do was exercise.

I'm a morning person (grew up in farm country, ex-military) and I wanted to work out in the mornings, but I don't have room for a home gym, and the gyms in my area don't open until 5am, not giving me enough time to exercise and be at work by 6am.

So I talked to my manager, and now I'm on a temporary 7am to 2:30pm schedule.  So I get up at 4:30, I'm at the door when the gym opens at 5:00, I work out, shower, dress, and usually I'm out by 6:30 and at work by 7:00, no problem.

It is hard getting up so early, but I like this schedule so far.  I'm more focused in the morning, the gym isn't as crowded, and it just feels good to get my work out done and over with instead of having it in the back of my mind all day.  I hope this helps me with the inconsistency I had before with my training.

• Good morning,

Today is day #6 for me. So far, so good. I've gotten up by 5 every day to hit the gym first thing before work. I hate getting up so early, but I know I won't make it to the gym if I wait until later in the day.

My eating has been good. I may have had a couple meals that were slightly off the ratios, but not by much. All in all, I think it is going well.

I can't wait for my free day tomorrow. I've been making a mental list of the things I want to eat, but I know I won't touch half of it. I don't want to go too crazy, but I will definitely splurge a little. I actually think I'm more looking forward to an off day from the gym. My legs are still pretty sore, so a rest day will be great.

I know I'm a day ahead of most of you, but I hope all is going well and that you all enjoy your free day coming up!

• I'm a little behind on my starting date....started on Thursday (the 9th) with a great Upper body w/o & 6 clean meals. Did a bunch of cooking on Wed. night to prepare & pack meals.  20 minute intervals went great this morning....looking forward to my first meal!

Hope everyone is doing great!

~Karen

• Hi guys!

I started yesterday- but can I join this thread?

I just took my before pics and am determined to do very well on this.

This is my day 2. How are you guys doing so far?

• Found it difficult with the lower body exercise but i sure feel that the sit ups are doing good. I am not used to weight lifting or using machines.. but I sure am working on it... Also struggeling with eating more than three meels every day. I am eating a lot of different sallads, tuna, salmon and avocado.

I am proud of my self and feel determind... now the big challange... the weekend

• Its hardest on the weekends. I find it's really hard when my husband comes home from work- he isn't on BFL, so he eats pretty much whatever and we used to always eat together- same meals and all. But I find I will be eating a lot more tuna and black beans and he can't stand the smell of either of those. Last night he broke out with some very sugary snacks and I just about died. I kept telling myself "He's going to regret it in the morning" in order to keep myself away from the snacks.

• I know that for some folks, myself included, that the weekends can be tricky when it comes to eating.  I seem to do fine during the work week because I'm more on a set schedule.  On the weekends, not so much, and I forget to keep eating every few hours, and by the end of the day, I'm starving and more prone to eat some bad stuff.  Stay on track, everyone.  These first few weeks are crucial to sticking to the plan as the BFL lifestyle becomes more of a habit and routine.

Also wanted to welcome everyone who has recently joined this group and started their challenges within the last few days.  Let us know how you are doing when you have a chance.  Although at the moment there hasn't been a lot of posting, I believe many of us are checking this board often and reading any updates that happen.  I would love to hear how everyone is doing and get tips and points from them.

Have a great day!

• At my moms house and she is offering me cookies and etc.... HELP!!!

• Yikes!  It is always a problem when your family, even when they have the best intentions, are leading you off track.  It is tough because food is such a comfort for many people (to give or receive), and when you turn down their offer, they can get offended.  Try to let her know that you have just started your challenge and you really need her help to keep you on track.  This may or may not help, but at least it will let her understand what you are going through.  Hang in there!

• I caved!!! I feel horrible! I ate a cookie! My daughter had the cookie tin open and I just took one!  Arg! Atleast it was one and not 4! Oh well. Onward and up ward. I will try to avoid my moms house for a while I think   :)

• Stay the course babyfat, one cookie won't ruin your challenge.  Congrats on not continuing with more than one!  I thinks it's the mindset that will carry us through.  When I used to low-carb diet in the past, one slip-up would send me on a carb-binge.  Now, I need to remember to reign in my temptations & jump back on the horse!

• Ok, week one is in the books. How'd everyone do? Free Day yesterday was a little freer than it should have been. I find I do better when I limit my free day to just a few treats I really am craving but it was my son's 4th b-day party and my husband and I had got into a silly argument that put me in a bad mood the rest of the day and I caved to the stress eating thing. Ugh. At least it was on a free day. Feel a bit bloated this morning, so glad to be back on track with a light and healthy breakfast of protein pancakes instead of cake, pizza, and the kids pinata candy.

• My first week went well. I felt like Mondays workout was weak, but Wednesday definitely hurt the next day and Friday's was better. I am starting with super low weights, like 5 lb. dumbbells and 15 lb. on the bars, but I'm able to complete most reps. This week started off better already. I'm up to 6 dips vs. none last week. I'm still doing my cardio on my upper body days, but it's what my schedule allows and it's only slight jogging/walking for 30 minutes. Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday I still do my 4 mile walks. Starting next week I'll be switching to the treadmill for my cardio and a bike for my long cardio.

The diet is the worst part. I have a son and a husband. It means basically I am cooking 3 different meals 3 different times a day. It gets a little hectic. I even did well on my day off though, I had one small slice of cake but then the rest is off limits. It's not so hard. And I don't get as hungry. Biggest problem is the weekend, I never feel like eating which is hard to believe for someone of my size. But I feel like if I start eating, I won't stop. I've been making life changes over the past few weeks, and I feel good. So I'm stickign with it. Just have to set up a better diet with more options.

• Are there any general rules for protein bars and protein shakes? So many to pick from, couldn't decide if I should go with a certain amount of protein or calorie, carb, fiber combinations. What works for you? Any help is appreciated. I don't want to eat clean and ruin it by adding extra calories and fat by eating a protein bar that had 300 calories. Also do you eat your bars/shakes as snacks even if you already worked out in the am? I worked out this am and then came home and had breakfast. Thanks in advance!!