when to start using weights

• I recently started the Challenge a few weeks ago. I really haven't done anything physically other than cardio (5 times a week).  I plan on incorporating the weights program but I'm nervous about working out with weights while I still have a layer of fat that covers my muscles. I am 5'1 and weigh 136 lbs.  I worked out religiously until five years ago when I stopped working out and although  I'm not over-weight,  I am very out of shape and not toned at all.  I was told several times that my muscles will get tone, but will be hidden under the layer of fat unless I lose the fat first (especially the abdomen). Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? 

• Start lifting now. This program was designed the way it is because all of the components work together. Developing your muscles will help you burn fat faster, even if you can't see them yet.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• NO you don't need to lose the fat first. Increasing your level of lean muscle through weight training will help you to lose the fat.  I'm really not quite getting the thrust of your worries. If someone has told you you have to lose the fat before building muscle they are wrong.

You should be incorporating the weight lifting workouts right from the start.

• I thought I replied to this, but guess at home I didnt hit reply :).  Anyway, as the others have said, you should have started a few weeks ago when you started the challenge.  If you dont have the book, get it and read it, and follow it.

• I bought the most recent book last year and read it and followed it to a "T" , workouts and all.. I didn't have much of a transformation so I though this time I'd try to burn off some fat by doing just cardio for awhile before I start the official challenge again this year. I  started the challenge a few weeks ago but not officially because i wanted to build up my endurance before I went full throttle with the program. I haven't worked out in 5 years.  Thanks for the response!

• I bought the most recent book last year and read it and followed it to a "T" , workouts and all.. I didn't have much of a transformation so I though this time I'd try to burn off some fat by doing just cardio for awhile before I start the official challenge again this year. I  started the challenge a few weeks ago but not officially because i wanted to build up my endurance before I went full throttle with the program. I haven't worked out in 5 years.  Thanks for the response!