For all those who started on 14/3/2011

• Anyone who started on the 14/3/11 . lets keep this open and help each other to reach our goals and then after the 12 Weeks lets posted our before and after photos ... just add this to your fav's section

Today i did my first upper body workout , as I'm down to around 20% body fat i,m just walking for 40 min on Tues and Thurs and sat and will do the cardio on challenge 2 to strip back more body fat my goal is to bulk myself more for challenge 1  ...... today's workout was great , even as i did not reach my 10's i still worked hard and now set a goal to reach for my next upper body workout to hit those 10's i think and will find out next workout that i was about 5 kg off hitting the 10's

So how did you guys go

• Hi Nick! Thank you for creating this thread!

I am starting from tomorrow, as here (UK) it is still 12th. My goal is to get rid of 5 %of my BF, and at least of 3 cm from my waist, hips and chest.

Eventhough I am really fond of training ir really find it difficult to keep on my diet.

Plans for 14th - workout in a gym (back and tri) + 30 min cardio. Diet - not to exceed 1500 kcal, high protein intake, no carbs after 3 p.m. I'll keep you all updated!

• hi love2workout good luck , lets us reach our goals ... as i am a chef here are a few desserts i like but are also great and packed with protein . healthy carbs and low fat

Chocolate Protein Cheesecake

1 cup boiling water 3 tsp gelatine 500g cottage cheese

1 Tbs of cocoa 2 Tbs protein powder

12 or more cupcake holders (the silicone ones are great for these)

1. Put hot water in large bowl and sprinkle over gelatine. Stir until completely dissolved. Put cottage cheese, sweetener, protein powder, & cocoa into bowl & beat with electric beater until smooth and creamy.

2. Add the water & gelatine & beat again.

3. Place cupcake holders in muffin tray (or use silicon ones) and pour in the mixture & put in fridge to set for 2hrs.

BAKED LEMON/CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKES

500gm Ricotta 3 eggs 2 lemons Juice & zest**

¼ cup splenda 1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 180C.

Beat eggs then add all other ingredients and pour into your muffin tray (these ingredients make 12 muffins)

Bake at 160C for approx 25 minutes cool on paper towel and enjoy!!

**substitute lemons for 2Tab cocoa.

• hi there , I am starting today 14/3 . My goal is to lose 20 pounds, and fit back in to my size 32 jeans . I did my first upper body work out this morning and my shoulders and arms feel nice and achy .

• Thank you! Sounds great  and I bet tastes great! I will definitely try as I really crave for cakes!!

• Hi Ilana! Great start! I love the when muscles are sore, what means you really kicked them:)

• I am starting today, just got back from the gym. I am trying to set this effort apart from the other by not putting too much pressure on myself. I'm going to give my body time to adjust to exercising again and avoid overdoing it and getting burned out in the first week.

• I'm in...going to do my lower body first, it really needs it!   Excited to have support!

• On the 11th a friend teased me for having bingo wings. On the 12th I bought the book and read the whole thing. I started the challenge on the 13th. Bit dissappointed as I'm not feeling pain in my muscles today and I really thought I had reached a ten during my upper body workout. Cardio today was amazing though, kept sweating half an hour after I got off the treadmill! The fact that it's only 20 minutes long kept me going. I didn't take a "before" picture though. I live alone and there's noone I'm comfortable enough with around me to have take my picture while I pose in a bikini! Doesn't matter, I'm sure the image of my flabbiness with haunt me forever.

Good luck to you all!

• Once again thanks for adding your comments and joining me and yourself in this new chapter in our lifes . Yes I'm sore today and yes it's a great feeling of sore. Just remember if you think you hit your 10 s , I going to say it was only a 9 as when you get to hit 10 s you will have to dig down to that spot where all the teasing all the name calling fires you up to get that last rep ....

Today my friends we have done more then anyone has . We have decide no more . Gotten off our back sides and make that first step to a new us .

From here there is no saying " I can't " or  " I'm giving up"

I give you my hand and support  take it and together all of us will make a better us.  NO not better us as we are all better for who we are now let's say an improvement .

• Hi to all !

Today I really experienced how does it feel when u have a  great team of supporters and u r somehow accountable for what u do. As after I started my 30 min cardio session, little evil inside of me tried to convince to give up after 20, but the fact that I am really seriously into this stuff this time and I even signed in this thread keeps me motivated!

Thanks for all being here!

Keep me updated how are things going!

Achievement of today: back&tri, 30 min cardio, total calories consumed - 1500.

• Well, I started yesterday with my roommate. We did upper body (it was a push to finish all the reps) and today I am sore! But I feel accomplished. Today we did the first day of cardio. It was definitely harder than we thought it would be. We pushed each other and got through it. Even though we had breaks in between reps we feel accomplished.

I just have the concern that I am eating too much. That I take in more calories than I need to... does anyone else feel this way?

• Love2workout great job and keep up the good work. ... if you think for one sec that you want to give up , then do what i do.

i take 10 min out my time and think back to all the teasing,  all the name calling anything that has made you take this challenge in the first place i then look at myself and say what people think is true about me then i get fired up inside and i work harder and push myself harder. i find i always hit my 10's .

Acarter002 don't be concern with the eating part . to you it seem as it's  a lot of food but in fact to your body it's not....see every time your in the gym your breaking up protein or burning  calories so you need to feed them to heal ....don't forget after a workout your body continues to burn calories even if your sitting down watching tv ... when you do cardio the right way as told in the book . then what your doing is shocking the body into burning fat . then when you get off the bike your still burning calories . the whole day your body is so shocked from the workout that your body needs to repair it self by burning calories and fat . so not eating the 6 meals a day then what your doing is staving your body from the healing foods it needs so in fact your body then goes into a thing i like to call survival and stores its fat to make sure you don't stave i hope that helps you understand ......

see i eat 6 meals a day and i drop from 142.7 kg to 103kg in a year .... i myself just read the body for life book and I'm aiming to build a better body so only walk on my cardio days as i need the body fat to build bigger muscle ... need fat to turn into energy to build and lift heaver weight ... see I'm at 20% body fat and i will go down to 18% by the end if my 12 weeks then i will Begin step 2 challenge  12 weeks of lifting weights and cardio where i aiming to drop my body fat from 18% to around 9%

So remember everyone have a plan , have a goal then reach out for it and do it

NO TURNING BACK

• Did my first 20 minute cardio workout with my room mate today! It was way harder then we expected and had to take breaks in between but we finished! I am feeling very accomplished and I hope that everyone else is having a good Day 2!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT :) Keep the hard work up, we CAN do this!

• ok here is what people say about HIIT

now keep in mind this is for a 10 min target but it does tell you what happen when u reach your HIIT target goal (Remember people you need to do 20 min)

Let’s Lose Some Fat Mass…

Okay ladies and Gents, the aim here is to lose maximum fat mass whilst at the same time holding on to as much muscle mass as possible.

I'm not a fan of calorie restriction as I am a fan of calorie expenditure through exercising. Of course not all workouts are created equally. The type of exercise you need most now is a type that would speed your metabolism, preserve as much muscle as possible, whilst at the same time help you to lose some fat mass off your body.

So it's maintain muscle, (not worried or concerned about building here yet), and lose fat. That in itself would speed your metabolism since muscle cells require much more energy to operate than fat cells, (which are just happy to tag along all day and night). I’m assuming you’re already involved in some weight training program here which goes a long way in preserving your muscles. You see if you use it, then you won’t lose it; simple really.

Dropping calories drastically is dropping energy. HIIT requires every ounce of energy you can master. No point starting a workout feeling super strong at the outset only to fizzle right down with your head feeling like it weighs a ton as time passes by.

The HIIT that I have in mind is based on timing more than the choice of exercises you decide to choose for yourself. I'll give you an example of timing first then I'll give you a variety of exercises you can do (if you like them that is).

1. Your total exercising time is 10 minutes and only ten minutes.

2. The more 10 minutes blocks you can do in a day/night the better

3. It goes without saying that this is a 7 day program/everyday and as I said above, preferably done few times a day (twice or thrice) especially on days off work/Uni etc.

4. The way I like to structure it seems so so easy yet it is very effective for what we want to achieve (super fast metabolism)

5. You warm up first by walking briskly for 5 minutes or so or riding a bike for 5. This would serve to raise your core temperature which is important before going all out at 100%.

6. You exercise all out (at 100% of your ability) for 10 seconds.

7. You go through an active recovery period of 50 seconds. That's 1 minute up already (taking away from our initial total of 10)

8. Continue with this "easy" pattern until the 10 minutes are up

9. Done!

10. Total time spent in a flat out mode is 100 seconds, or 1m, 40 sec.

Yes, we can increase the intensity by adding few more seconds to the 10 and making it 15 or so. That comes later on as your body adapts to the first wave of 10 seconds and you become more comfortable with the whole idea.

Now what exercise? Take your pick really. Sprint on grass for 10 then walk back for 50. Skip for 10 then walk for 50. Punch a bag for 10 then walk for 50. Burpees for 10, followed by 50 walking. Explosive squat position star jumps for 10 followed by 50 walking. Stationary bike all out for 10. Box jumps for 10 then 50 walking etc...

The short amount of time spent in the high intensity zone won't be enough to catabolise your muscles. And no, you won't be using much fat if any whilst performing such a HIIT workout. But then, I never concern myself with what fat I'm using or losing whilst exercising; it's what happens when I stop that really matters. And what occurs after you stop is that your metabolism would have kicked up a gear. I'm not getting technical here so as to keep it simple and keep confusion out. Sounding sophisticated is not my aim now; positive results are what I care about and nothing less would satisfy me so…

Okay, just to reiterate; HIIT would be the way to go for no more than 10 minutes.

And no, you would not want to do it before weight training but after. You can also do it on your days off weight training, again for strictly 10 minutes. There is a reason why I don't like the "killer" workouts that take your lactic acid build up to great heights; they can actually (wait for it), decrease your fitness/aerobic level. So Lactate threshold workouts are not something that I would go along with. Yes you feel like you're about to die, (thinking that it's all for the best) where in fact it's for the worse.

Hence, I advice a 10 minutes HIIT where you only go all out for about/between 20 to 30%, or 2-3 minutes out of those 10.

So to have an edge on all those “secret” programs out there, do it the smart way and that does not mean running for miles on end or the "killing yourself with an acid bath" way, (been there done that).

Too much lactate tolerance (high acidosis) training can cause aerobic performance to decline; hence I’d like to limit the high intensity component of HIIT to between 10 to 20 seconds max out efforts. Anaerobic training that only stimulates moderate accumulated lactate levels enhances anaerobic performance and maintains aerobic fitness.