What to eat when workouts are in the evening?

• Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on what to eat before and/or after a workout in the evening?  Just the way my schedule works out, the only time I can get in the workouts are in the evening around 7pm.  When should I eat before the workout, any suggestions on what to have, and what about after the workout?  I don't want to end up eating too late, but I have been trying to eat my last meal around 4pm before the workout, and so I feel pretty hungry by the time I am finished at the gym.

Thanks for the advice!

• There are sooooo many different thoughts about this from what I've been reading.  Most people I think will agree it's more important to get a routine going so you can exercise without worries and just let the meals fall as they may.   That will make it much better for you to be able to get your plan done without falling into the trap that I just ate so I cant exercise, or I'm so hungry I dont want to exercise etc etc.  

• I just had an evening like this last night.  I usually workout in the am, but yesterday I had to fit it in at 5:45 PM.  My last meal was at 1:30, enchilada chicken salad, so I was still satisfied when I hit the gym.  I had an hour workout (intense), weights and cardio, and was feeling very jittery after the workout, even with drinking a ton of water.  I had a EAS choc protein shake about 15 minutes afer I was done.  Then just before bed I had 1/2 apple and a rice cake.  I woke up this morning at 4:00 (without an alarm) and had tons of energy and had a great cardio workout.  Hope this was helpful.