2-7-11 THIS IS NO DRILL

• Busynurse / Nicole96:  Yes, you can keep exactly the same protocol for the next UBWO.  You may want to change it up after about 4 weeks, however.  That may make things more interesting.  However, your muscles won't know much difference, so you don't have to.  As a general rule - if your getting comfortable with what you're doing, it's time to change things up.  But for now, everyone starting their first challenge has a lot to deal with and learn, and just need to settle in.

My UBWO was... nondescript.  I only felt half done.  That's 'cause I had switched my routine to whole body workouts (WBWO) in early Dec., and had done about 18 of them, every other day, and I really love them.  I may decide to switch back.

I see lots of posts here, and lots of familiar names and faces, and I just want to wish you all the best.   As far as DOMS goes, well, it doesn't last forever, and it's a sign that you're doing something good.  Some folks take an Advil, and others drink more fluids.

One "trick" is to do something every day.  My gym closes early on Fri nites - so if I don't have time for the full UBWO, I'll swap and do cardio on Friday and UBWO Saturday, when I have more time.  Eating-wise, I've been dead on, frankly junk food tastes like junk once you start eating real foods (but I do crave things like raw fish / Sashimi).

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Thanks Jacium.  This forum has been extremely helpful for me.  I do miss some messages though....what does DOMS stand for???

• Busynurse,

DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness - that dull, achy really sore feeling your muscles can get a day or two after you exert them. The whole point of the weight lifting is to work your muscles to the point of fatigue (which causes microscopic tears in them), so they will rebuild themselves and become a larger proportion of your body mass.  No more than that.  We also learn to recognize the good pain from the bad pain. Our joints will not last forever, and can wear out from overuse and abuse in the weight room.  

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• I'm the same way!  It seems like the 20 minutes of cardio is when I'm just getting started.  It takes me longer to get out the door and get to the gym than it does to actually be there...LOL!!

• Jjooddyy-  Hey, thanks for the info.  I appreciate you checking that out!  I think I will do my boot camp classes Monday nights.  Sundays are my free days so I'm sure my body will have the extra calories to burn the next day.

I too love Pilates...  It's very therapeutic!

Good luck with that left quad!

• Hola all,

Been super busy with work (thank goodness) but I did get in my upper body yesterday (felt tight today but in a good way like I did something). I did just get my cardio in today (which I discovered is my Kryptonite and causes many parts of me to complain). I have stuck to my meal plan and have cut my soda intake by oodles. Drinking lots of water and it is running right through me.

Keep it up yall. I figured I would feel like crude the next week while my body complains but I am in. It is personal now.

• Thanks...appreciate it.

• Hello there,

I'm doing well and uber committed.  I actually look forward to my workouts...that is until todays DOMS from my LBWO Monday.  I persevered and I was proud of myself!  

• timetochange - you should be completely spent by the time the 20 minute cardio is done.  Are you feeling that?  The only thing about adding extra cardio is you rob your muscle building a bit and you really don't want to do that because muscle is the main course in buring fat.  Cardio helps but muscle is better.

In case you aren't sure about your cardio, here is how it's done.  The routine can be done on a bike and an elliptical as well.  Also check out Emily Alvers blog for other HIIT cardio options (http://www.emilyalvers.com/high_intensity_interval_training.html).

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Thanks Sharon,

This is a great help now I get it I think? Can't wait for my next cardio day which will be Thursday.

• Hey guys

Came in from my lower body workout.  Almost hurt my back again.  Im too tall for the Korean machines.  im 6'3 (1.9m) tall and these machines seem to be made for shorter ppl.  Any other tips for doing quads?  Been looking at the bodyforlife book.  The thing where you sit on a chair and lift ur legs is the exercise i do for my final 12.  I do leg presses with my feet at angles for my hamstrings as well as lying leg curls.  I really dont want to hurt my back again!  That was hell and for the last 4 weeks of my first challenge i couldnt exercise my legs.  Also hurt when i did cardio and was just not a pleasant experience.  Lost 500g muscle that way!

Anyway, feeling good!  

Opti, how you feeling?  How did cardio go?  Moxie, you there with us fighting along?  :-)

Timetochange, i agree with Sharon.  After i finish my 20 minute cardio im puffing and heaving and sweating.  I hate cardio and would love to do something diff but the bodyforlife system works.  Just look at the ppl around us who have completed the challenge.  Ive also heard that if you do too intense cardio you can actually start eating muscle (i dont know if thats the right way to describe it).  Basically you dont build muscle so much.  I do think if you going to do it after your free day that would be best.  I hate it when i had a free day and i get on the scale and im heavier.  Takes 3 days for me to just get back to where i was before the free day!!!

• So, day 2 is down. MattM and I are loving life right now!!! The foods we have eaten are all from either this website or the Eating for Life book and everyone in my family is raving about the food!

We have been spot on with all aspects of the BFL plan! (well, except today my 4th and 5th meals were slightly delayed slightly due to a parent conference and then being stuck at the gym because of keys that wouldn't work). But, onward and upward!

The best in between meal I have had was 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and splenda! It was just like a pie!

My HIIT for the teadmill was good... I felt like dying afterward... Isn't that the goal? HAHA!

Anyway, good luck everyone!

• Develope - You are right about everything.  :-)

On lower gody, have you tried squats using dumbbells?  I gather you have an injury but since I'm not sure I can't really make suggestions.  Here is a great website with several exercises (and video on how to do them) using different types of equipment including your own body weight.  Hopefully you can find something that works for you.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/main.html

• CyanideFury - Be careful with the Eating-for-LIFE (EFL) book.  It's very hard to judge protion sizes in some of the receipes.  Most of us use the EFL book for free day meals.  Certain pages are great.  Here's a a post I put up a while back with the best for while in a challenge.  These are only suggestions.  Feel free to use as you wish. :-)

http://bodyforlife.com/community/boards/bfl/f/13/p/238/2852.aspx#2852

• By the way, when Mike wrote that info, he was writing for a woman.  Men do not need to make the adjustment he mentions.