BFL! where to start from?

• excellent advice, you really summarized everything "at a glance"  - THank you

• Hi guys

I am just wondering that will it be ok to do the BFL while following the Jenny Craig diet stuff?

Also what is the best piece of equipment that I can get in my kitchen for making healthy diet?

Someone suggested that I should think about getting a steamer (too boring and tasteless) or a electric grill machine (hmmm cant have grilled stuff round the clock for next 4 months).

Also why pasta is always seen as something not so healthy?

Thanks.

• I am just wondering that will it be ok to do the BFL while following the Jenny Craig diet stuff?

I would have to say either you are doing one or the other...if you are referring to using the pre-packaged meals...I'd for sure say no. BFL OR Jenny... and if you care for my opinion...BFL all the way!

Also what is the best piece of equipment that I can get in my kitchen for making healthy diet?

I have a counter blender for protein shakes...that is it. You have a microwave? an oven and stove top? that's all you need IMO. Another piece of equipment I find helpful is a digital food scale.

Someone suggested that I should think about getting a steamer (too boring and tasteless) or a electric grill machine (hmmm cant have grilled stuff round the clock for next 4 months).

Oh, you'll be doing a lot of grilling AND steaming for the next 4 months and for life!! Things do not have to be tasteless. Use spices to give meats, fish and veggies pizazz...be creative!

it is not that it is not healthy. Often peope choose white pasta and do not practice portion control.

Choose whole wheat over white pasta and watch portions. No reason you can't have a 1/2c cooked whole wheat pasta as a carb and just add some chicken or fish with veggies and you have a great BFL meal!

• Mustafa, I replied to your post on the Canadian site but it may have gotten lost with all the spamming thats going on there.  There is some great advice given here already but I'll throw in my $.02 as well.  I agree that you do not need supplements.  My main 2 were Myoplex and whey protein, mostly for convenience.  I made the most progress when I was dieting for a bodybuilding show and not using any supplements at all.  The big drawback was it seemed that if I wasn't cooking or eating, I was cleaning up from cooking or eating.  I like the fact that Myoplex gave me 2 easy meals a day.  Plus I liked  having a shake 1st thing in the morning and right after my workout.

If you do decide to use supplements I would sit down and decide what you want to use and how much.  I figured using Myoplex twice a day and whey protein a few times a day I would need a couple 5lb tubs and 8-9 boxes of Myoplex.  I split that into 2 orders so it wasn't so expensive.

You might realize that the starter packs might not give you what you want at all.  The few that I looked at I found a bit pricey and had stuff I wasn't going to use anyways.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Train to grow, not for show!

• I am just wondering that will it be ok to do the BFL while following the Jenny Craig diet stuff?

Probably not, if it’s anything like some of the other brands, it may have high sodium count and not really fresh food.  What you want to do is learn to eat so that you can sustain the eating habit for the rest of your life.  Do you really want to eat boxed meals for the rest of your life?  Just from my personal experience, I did try another diet brand of food (before BFL) and it worked (I lost 20lbs) but the idea of always eating that food didn’t sit well with me.  So guess what?  When I stopped eating that food and ate regular food again, I gained the weight back and more.  I hadn’t learned to eat properly from grocery store food and I hadn’t learned to portion what was right for me.  You will learn to do that as you progress through the 12 weeks of BFL.

Here’s a great response from the late Mike Harris (2006 BFL Men 50+ Champion, http://www.mikeharris.org/) to someone who asked about using another diet brand of food while doing BFL.  Perhaps this will make it clearer for you. :-)

“…a BFL transformation is designed to do much more than just help you drop a few pounds. It helps you build the body that you want, including lean and dense muscle, good symmetry, healthy bones, a healthier biochemical/hormonal balance, and to essentially recreate yourself the way you want to be. If you look through the photos you will see that the champions have significantly different body builds than they had when they started. When you look at the [____] photos, you just see a smaller person than you used to see in the before photos. There is no muscle, just an absence of fat. So, it would be a lot better for you now and in the future to learn how to cook and prepare healthy meals for yourself so that you can live right instead of eating out of cellophane wrappers or foil bags and eating foods that have shelf lives longer than the life expectancy of an elephant! The Eating for Life cookbook is a good place to start, though you’ll need to be able to have time to read the entire book before you start using the recipes. One of the things that Bill Phillips strongly teaches about in the book is that we ALL have the same 24 hours in a day, and if we say we don’t have time to do something, what we are really saying is that we don’t want to make that something a priority. So, you DO have time to cook, to eat right, and to work out. What you’ve got to do is to decide whether it will be a priority in your life or not.”

Also what is the best piece of equipment that I can get in my kitchen for making healthy diet?  Someone suggested that I should think about getting a steamer (too boring and tasteless) or a electric grill machine (hmmm cant have grilled stuff round the clock for next 4 months).

Grilled, baked or microwave is the way to go.   Aside from a stove top oven, a George Foreman like grill and a microwave would work.  You can steam things in the microwave but you’ll need a container that handles that in a microwave.  I microwave my sweet potato (poke holes, wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 2 min on one side and 2 min on the other), frozen Steamfresh veggies from Birdseye (they come in single servings) and oatmeal.

Pasta has more carbs and fat.  You can use whole wheat pasta in it’s place.  Here’s an article I found awhile back.  It includes suggested brands of whole wheat pasta and explains about cooking it. :-)  www.washingtonpost.com/.../AR2005092000388.html

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• :)  ayummymommy,Boltsfan and Super---Sharon--Wonder-Woman thanks for the replies, honestly all I can say is WOW, thanks a lot.

Ayummymommy and Super---Sharon--Wonder-Woman ---> I really find the replies very informative and helpful – you both cleared the clouds from my mind, I think you guys should collaborate and write a books on health and fitness, seriously think about it.. Including lorig2727 you all three are my perfect mentors :)

I think I was under estimating the key element of the BFL diet and felt that Jenny Craig would be as good as BFL (kind of easy way out) though after reading the replies I googled and did the comparison,  yep  you guys are very right.

All my life I have lived on a diet that was oily, fatty and no where near to the BFL style cooking. Always had 3 times of full tummy meals though now this new 6 small portion diet while keeping it low in fat, high in protein and balanced carbs – man this sounds like a life in a very controlled environment  (lab tests kind of thing) – ok maybe I am confuse but I am sure that with you guys on my side I will find my way.

I know how to cook though my cooking always include frying, oily style curries, full fat cheese etc. so it means I have to let go something that I really adore :(

Boltsfan we need to talk, you in Vancouver? Do you know any people in GTA who did BFL?

I am moving to a new place in next couple of weeks so stuff like electric grill and a steamer is on the top of my shopping list honestly appreciate the replies, thanks.

Thanks guys, you all rock.

• I'm in Winnipeg Mustafa but feel free to PM me any time and I'll help if I can.  I found that as the challenge went on you really don't feel like you are missing out on stuff.  Do you get cravings for certain things?  Of course.  But I found that if I did all I needed was a little taste and that satisfied my cravings.  Plus, eating every 2&1/2 to 3 hours you never really get the chance to get hungry.  And after a few weeks(it was only a week for me) you really notice how much better you feel by eating this way.

• hmmm @ Boltsfan I will agree with you because in past when ever I went on a strict diet then for me the first 10 to 15 days were always tough and later on everything was ok.

I used to be a chain smoker though I started to have problem with my breathing so I told myself that I need to quit and I replaced cigarettes with ice cream and later on ice cream with very cold water and now it has been quite a while that I am living a life of a non smoker.  

Right now the biggest worry that I got is how to stop myself from cheating when it comes on diet, workout and life style.

Mustafa

• Great job on quitting smoking Mustafa.  As far as cheating and changing the lifestyle don't get too worried about be too strict.  Someone posted a quote before that its not about perfection, it's about progress.  If you end up having a cheat or falling off the wagon a bit don't beat yourself up because we have all done it.  That's why the daily progress sheets are so important.  You can look back and see what you have done well, and maybe what could be better and make changes accordingly.

Also, depending on where you are starting from, and where you want to get to, you may not reach your goal in one challenge.  I know when I started I set some pretty lofty expectations.  I was a bit disappointed when I finished but then I looked at the changes I had made, both on paper and in the pictures, and realized just how far I had come.

In an earlier post you had mentioned taking a bit of time to get things planned out.  That is a great idea.  I know from experience that you want to get at it as soon as possible but I found that planning is the key to this program.  Take some time to figure out your exercises, food, and supplements if you decide to use them.  I found once I started, I took 5-10 minutes every night to plan the next day.  If I didn't do that it seemed almost like I was spinning my wheels that day.

Sorry if I'm rambling but hope some of this helped.  

• Mustafa I agree, great job on quitting smoking!!!!  : )   that's great!

• Hi Guys - I was away for few days so couldnt reply earlier.

Boltsfan you are very right about having realistic approach towards the goals and how to stay on the path, yes I do tend to have very frequent temptations for having fatty food and chocolates but need to be more focus and more honest with my own self. Thanks buddy. By the way I do plan to use the supplements :) it will help me to be more focus and more honest with my diet and workouts - kind of psychological impact :)

Luckylynda glade to see you here.

I am honestly very happy that I came to this forum, started this discussion and found awesome people, the replies in this discussion very helpful for me.

• Questions:

1 - White bread or Whole wheat brown bread? (I am more a white bread guy but can definitely make switch)

2. The MYTH of the Portion Size?  

3. Portion size of Cheese? (first should it be regular cheese or the low fat cheese - secondly does the fist size portion also applies on cheese or not?)

4. Rice - yes or no? (if yes then what is the most healthy way to cook rice and also the type of rice & its portion size)

5. Grilling Red Meat - Rare, Medium Rare or Well Done? (I prefer well done)

6. Shall I use Cod Liver Oil capsules during the BFL along with EAS supplements? (good for joints)

7. My cooking usually includes lots of Olive Oil and Butter for, can I continue with that during BFL or not?

8. Vegetables - boiled,  grilled or steamed? (seriously first time in my life I am forcing myself to have vegies at least once a day, it isnt as bad that I thought to be).

9. Ranch Dressing - yes or not? (for a guy like me it makes the vegetables eatable)

I am waiting for my heros to jump in and help me :)

Mustafa

• Answers:

1 - whole wheat IF you must have bread at all

2 - there are a lot of myths, which one do you mean

3 - there really isn't any approved cheese, unless you count fat free cottage cheese.  If you are talking that string cheese, which isn't a great option, then absolutely low fat.

4 - steamed long grain brown rice - about a 1/2 cup

5 - it doesn't matter

6 - fish oil is a great supplement - I would consider it mandatory - YES

7 - NO butter - yes to olive oil, but not a lot.  You are not frying in it, just coating the pan

8 - pretty much anyway except boiled - that ruins the nutritional value of veggies and then what would be the point

9 - fat free ranch - learn to use great seasonings instead

Have you read all of the original BFL book?

What else my friend?

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Questions:

1 - White bread or Whole wheat brown bread? (I am more a white bread guy but can definitely make switch)

If you eat bread I would suggest Ezekiel. It is made from sprouted grains and has an excellent nutrient profile (Food For Life brand or here for us Torontonians...Stonemill is GREAT too)

2. The MYTH of the Portion Size?

What do you mean by Myth? This is all about portion control and eating for life.

3. Portion size of Cheese? (first should it be regular cheese or the low fat cheese - secondly does the fist size portion also applies on cheese or not?)

Cheese is not the best of choices but in moderation I would say a bit is ok. Hummm prob a low/no fat would be the best choice... but just a bit

4. Rice - yes or no? (if yes then what is the most healthy way to cook rice and also the type of rice & its portion size)

SURE! Brown rice is great...about a 1/2 c coked is a portion. Boil in water as directed.

5. Grilling Red Meat - Rare, Medium Rare or Well Done? (I prefer well done)

I don't think it matters, yet red meat in moderation. Better to choose lean cuts if you do choose red meat. Best choices are turkey and chicken breast (boneless/skinless)

6. Shall I use Cod Liver Oil capsules during the BFL along with EAS supplements? (good for joints)

Don't know much about them...don't see why they would hurt :)

7. My cooking usually includes lots of Olive Oil and Butter for, can I continue with that during BFL or not?

I would not use alot of the olive oil and butter not a good choice. Best is to spray a pan with Pam and save the Olive oil for dressings etc.

8. Vegetables - boiled,  grilled or steamed? (seriously first time in my life I am forcing myself to have vegies at least once a day, it isnt as bad that I thought to be).

Fresh raw is best, but all of the above are great, limit the added fats (oils)

9. Ranch Dressing - yes or not? (for a guy like me it makes the vegetables eatable)

personally I would pass, but if you could find a fat free/sugar free one (maybe Walden farms) then again... MODERATION is the key here!!

I am waiting for my heros to jump in and help me :)

Great questions...keep 'em coming!! This is the only way you'll keep learning!! Remember this is about living life!! you are doing great!

• A lot of my answera are going to be the same but I'll chime in too.

1. I would go whole wheat or multigrain, if you must.

2. I'm not sure about the myth either.  Portion of protein is about the size of your palm.  For carb portion I did a 1/2 cup of brown rice, or something about the size of your fist.  Veggies I never got too concerned about.  Started with a cup but I'm sure most meals I was pushing 2 cups.

3. Can't really comment on cheese cause I never ate it.  Would definately do it in moderation though.

4.Brown rice is pretty much all I ate.  Rice cookers are pretty cheap and you can usually get a rice cooker/steamer combo that you could steam veggies in if you want.

5.I've heard rarer is better but I'm not sure it matters.  Besides you have to eat it so you might as well enjoy it and cook it how you like.  But, in moderation as has been stated.

6.Not sure about cod liver oil.  If you are looking for joint help a glucosamine supplement may be better but I'm not sure.

7.I always stir fried my veggies in extra virgin olive oil.  But a cooking spray may be a better option.

8.I stir fried all my veggies.  But of the options you gave I would say grilled, steamed or raw.  

9.I was the same way.  The only way I could eat raw broccoli is with ranch dip.  If you are using ranch use very little if you can.  This is where I will disagree with the previous posts.  I used to always buy the fat free or calorie wise dressings.  But if you compare the labels there is barely any difference between them and the regular varieties.  But depending on the brand, check the labels and see.  I know some fat free or lite dressings taste a lot different than the regular kind, and if the nutritional value isn't that different, go with what tastes better to you.  Again though, in moderation.