DAY 1

• Off and running this morning!  UBWO went well and I know I will be very sore tomorrow evening!  M1 on track and organized for the rest of the meals for the day.

I think there are a few others starting today, are you well planned and ready to rock?!

Mar

• After reading posts for 2 months, I have decided to start today!  Mine is very  modified as I'm 31 weeks pregnant.  But I wanted to get the healthy eating down now so I can hopefully have all the tools to really push hard after the baby comes.  

I did my UBWO this morning, I was a bit shaky after but now I'm feeling fine.  I'm wondering if I lifted heavy enough?  

Made all my meals last night and ready to go today.  One meal already down and going to get my second one right now!  

• I was supposed to start today but my son was nice enough to share his stomach flu with me so if I feel better tomorrow I will be starting then.

We will all succeed................together!!

• "After reading posts for 2 months, I have decided to start today!  Mine is very  modified as I'm 31 weeks pregnant.  But I wanted to get the healthy eating down now so I can hopefully have all the tools to really push hard after the baby comes.  

I did my UBWO this morning, I was a bit shaky after but now I'm feeling fine.  I'm wondering if I lifted heavy enough?  

Made all my meals last night and ready to go today.  One meal already down and going to get my second one right now!  "

Hi! Congrats on the baby to come. I have 4 kids myself. I really would like to urge you to go easy on the weight training now. DO NOT try and lift heavy or hit 10's. This is NOT a time to be training hard. Make sure you speak to your OB and review the program as well with him/her.

I tell all my preggo friends this and I told it to myself... pregnancy is only 9 months, you have your whole life to lose weight and get in shape. Eating well is one thing but the rest is better left til later.

I did workout (cardio and weights and variations throughout depending on how I was feeling) through ALL my pregs and I was over due for each. I even went to the gym in those over due days... but I significantly scaled down. There is NOTHING more important than that little being inside you, depending on you to nourish it and keep it safe.

I urge you to speak to your Doc and take it easy...especially cuz you are in the home stretch.

• Ugh, sorry you're not feeling well Sandra, hopefully tomorrow will be a go!  Congrats Krissy, go easy!

• Hi, All!  

I decided that today was the first day of the rest of my life!  DAY 1 of this BFL challenge!  I want to join you all in your success!  

I have attempted this BFL challenge in the past but have yet to complete even one!  I have a tendancy to get frustrated when I don't see or feel results or make excuses.  NOT GOOD!  I need a mindset change overhaul!  A big thing that has crept up on me this last year is now an obstacle in completing the challenge - I travel 75% of the month for my job.  That means eating out - a LOT - and in the car.  I can tell you that I have eaten a sit-down meal only a handfull of times within the last year.  That means a LOT of fast food - and there are only so many times you can eat the same salad in the car for finger food.  I need helf from anyone who has completed this challenge and traveled for a living.  But, most importantly, I also need the help of all of you who are just starting out.  We're in this together.  WE CAN DO IT!  I CAN DO IT!  YOU CAN DO IT!  Let's do it together!

• Hey Nola

Today is also Day 1 for me and this is my 4th maybe 5th attempt ... of uncompleted challenges. I travel alot as well. Will be in Houston next week. If you would like a buddy to bounce things off of.. I would be happy to do it. I am serious about this as well. This is a new year and only great things are going to happen. Good Luck and Much Success

• Nikki:  I hear you on the  number of times you've started the challenge but didn't complete it.  I don't want to say that I'm going to "try" this time.  I WILL DO the challenge this time.  Maybe we can help each other out through this process.  In the BFL book, Bill Phillips talks about how most of the energy and fuel it takes to propel a rocket into space from earth is spent just getting the thing going - very little energy to keep it going.  We've GOT to start strong.  The first few days/weeks might be our most difficult, but I believe with all my heart that if we keep going (and getting back on the horse if we fall), it will be a breeze to continue.

I am SO GLAD to hear that we're going through this together as work-travelers.  That has been my biggest challenge this past year.  I will possibly be in Houston next week, as well, but my schedule is up in the air at this point.  Maybe we can connect!

You go girl!

• Hi everyone, I started today aswell. I live in the Netherlands.

I started with the cardio, i ran on the treadmill in my lunch hour. I will do my weights tomorrow, i dont see anywhere if i am meant to do a 2 min warm up for the weights, as we have to for the cardio. Can anyone help?

YES WE CAN DO IT!!!!

• Hi, Randip!  

I would do at least 5 minutes of warm-up for weight-training days.  Your mucles will be hit really hard in this work-out, so a good solid warm-up will help prevent injury.  I only know this because I used to be a certified personal trainer (I just let myself go since then).  

Great job with doing your workout today!  One meal, one workout, one day, one week, one month, one challenge at a time!  Just a step up the ladder to the top!  Keep it up!

• Thanks Nola, i will make sure i do a warm up tomorrow :)

I had my baby girl 2 years ago and i am still trying to losing the weight but more importantly be toned and healthy. I need more energy to keep up with her.

Thanks for your kind and encouraging words.

Bring on day two!

• Hi Nola or anyone what is doing the challenge,

Can i ask you something about the weight section. There seems to be a different understanding of it between myself and my sister.

The one minute resting, is that done in between each set of reps, or after the first 4 sets of reps and then you do the last 2 sets.

I hope you don't mind me asking this.

• You rest one minute in between each set and then two minutes after your very last set (after you do your second exercise of the same muscle group and hit your 10).  

For example, yesterday for my chest exercise portion of the upper body workout, it looked like this:

*  Dumbbell Incline Press x12 reps (exertion of 5 on scale of 1-10)

*  Rest 1 minute

*  Dumbbell Incline Press x10 reps (exertion of 6 on scale of 1-10)

*  Rest 1 minute

*  Dumbbell Incline Press x 8 reps (exertion of 7 on scale of 1-10)

*  Rest 1 minute

*  Dumbbell Incline Press x 6 reps (exertion of 8 on scale of 1-10)

*  Rest 1 minute

*  Dumbbell Incline Press x 12 reps (exertion of 9 on scale of 1-10)

*  Dumbbell Flyes x 12 reps  (exertion of 10 on scale of 1-10)

*  Rest 2 minutes (then go on to your next muscle group for upper back)

The reason for the rest is to give your muscle fibers a chance to recover so you can keep going.  You're working them harder and harder with each set.  If you don't rest, you won't make it through the workout.  There's also physiologial reasons for this, as well, but I won't get into the details.

Does this help?

• Also, notice that there's no rest in between your last two sets.

• I started as well.  I was pretty healthy all my live, but never fit, and now not healthy.  I thought the workouts were going to be too easy as I’m still pretty muscular, with lots of protective “padding”.  For the same reason I was sure the meals were going to be too small and be the most difficult part of the challenge.  On day two now, and it hurts to move!  I can’t wait until Thursday as I’m sure I won’t be able to walk!  On top of this,  I HAVE to eat in a half hour and I’m not looking forward to it (still full)!  Have a great time surpassing all your goals, especially you travelers who have your work cut out for you.

Oh, and yes martani, I have meticulously planned and am heavily rocking.