Sleep Problems

• Hi there

Nearing the end of week 1. All going well managing to keep to the meals and the workout and have cut out coffee and cokes completely but I am having a lot of problems sleeping.

Usually I get "the sleep of the just" but with all the water I find I am getting up a few times in the night to pee (never used to). I am also waking up about 2am quite anxious about nothing in particular and can't get back to sleep for a few hours.

I do eventually get back to sleep but then have missed getting up for workouts at 6am as planned. I also feel that I haven't had a quality rest which Bill P. says in the book is so important in the BFL book.

That situation is not so bad this week as I am on holiday but will be a real problem next week when I am back at work - I would end up missing a morning workout if I don't get up at six.

Anyone had similar problems - any advice??

A

• A-Been there, done that...All 3 challenges it happened to me, still happens occasionally. It's pretty much a phase with your body adjusting to all the good changes you are making.

Something you might try is get all your water in before dinner time. I have a 1/2 glass with dinner then I'm done with fluid intake unless I have a rare protein shake as last meal.

Also try melatonin; I've taken this and I've slept like a baby those nights.

Congrats on your 1st week! Keep pushing yourself!

Hope this helps! =)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Hi Antinous,

I can certaintly relate. Some mornings I was more exhausted than the night before and it certaintly zapped my energy.

I had a difficult time sleeping for several weeks and would wake up a 4 a.m. and could not go back. I ended up linking the problem to those energy shots that I was taking on occasion. My body is sensitive to caffine and once I stopped the 5 hour energy shots my system gradually got back to normal. I found Melatonin to be helpful. I would take it 30 minutes prior to bedtime. It is 100% natural and has no side effects.

If the problem persists you might consider visiting your physician to rule out any health problems. Also, since your going to the bathroom frequently consider stopping the water intake after 8:00 p.m. Have you seen any other differences in your health? Are you under more stress than normal?

Regards,

Lori

• Antinous

I'm not as knowledgeable as many here but I'd like to jump in on this one...

I started my challenge 5 weeks ago back in December.  My sleep was "confused" to say the least.  I was sore from workouts and anxious (nervy?) about whether I was doing everything right.  I am getting up at 4:30am to do my workouts each day.  What I had to adjust was going to bed earlier (8:30-9:00pm)  That was hard for me  (Didn't my grandpa used to go to bed at 8:30? lol)

Anyway, I made it through my first week.  Now, something has happened that hasn't in a very long time:  I am actually having dreams!  That means I'm getting into REM sleep.  My wife says that I snored the first week but no longer.  I am certainly more refreshed each day.  

I still have some restless nights but I think for different reasons:  Last night was a prime example.  Last evening, I re-optimized my UBWO routine for this morning.  Sounds geeky, but I was actually excited about it.  Because of that, I woke up at 3am thinking about it and the wierd dream I had just had.  I was able to go back to sleep and my alarm woke me up.  BTW, my new workout routine was the BOMB!  I am worn out.

Granted this is from a guy's perspective.  My wife too has trouble sleeping sometimes.  She uses a Wal-Mart Equate brand sleep aid.  The problem is that it leaves her groggy in the morning.  Thus, she breaks them in half.

What I'm ultimately trying to say is, stick with it.  I suspect your sleep patterns will work themselves out the more you get into shape.

• Thanks all for the advice improving a bit now. RedDawg - am dreaming a lot more too. Clearly lots of advantages to BFL programme!  :-)