Protein Pancake Question

• Today is my first day on the challenge. I am looking for some portable meals to take to work. I want to try the Protein Pancake recipes I have seen posted. Most recipes make 2-3 pancakes. How many would be a meal serving?

Thanks

• Hi Paula:

The recipe I use (1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 3 egg whites with cinnamon, almond & vanilla extract) makes 2 large pancakes or 3-4 smaller ones.  I count it as one serving.  However, I haven't made just one batch in ages.  I always triple or quadruple the recipe, and usually get 10 pancakes.  I use 2 for a serving.  Technically the oatmeal will be about 27 grams carbs, cottage cheese 15g protein, and egg whites about 10.8g protein.  Works out to be almost perfect 50/50 split.  Best of luck to you on your challenge.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I use the same basic pancake recipe as BDMom and it made 3 heavy duty pancakes.  Halfway through I started thinking this CAN'T be one serving - I was full.  I actually put one aside and had it with another meal.  But based on the ingredients it should be one serving.  Next time I'm going to cut the parts from 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup.

• OK - so I know this is probably a really lame guy-type question, but how do you cook these pancakes?  Do you mix up all the ingredients into a batter, and then ladle it into a skillet on the stove?  Is the cottage cheese reduced fat, full fat or no fat?  Also, I'm interested in a recipe for whey protein muffins or mini-muffins.

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• That's exactly how I make the pancakes, Jacium, with reduced fat cottage cheese.

Here is a muffin recipe: bodyforlife.com/.../dessert-pumpkin-chocolate-chip-muffins

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Hi Jacium:

I mix mine up in my magic bullet or blender, and then pour them on a hot griddle, just like any other pancakes.  I use no-fat cottage cheese for mine.  I have tried making pancakes with protein powder and don't like the texture.  Haven't tried muffins yet.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Thanks to both of you, saralynn & BDMom.  Both the pancakes and the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins look really good!  I'm going to try them out soon.

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• I haven't tried the muffins because they contain chocolate, which I can't have. But my kids all liked them, and we plan to try them with vanilla protein and white chocolate chips next time. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• the pancake recipe also works in the waffle maker!  so yum, these are like dessert, and FILLING!  for some reason my hubby didn't like them though...  he's picky with his texture.  Wants them like the kind you get in a restaurant.

oo, I've gotta try that muffin recipe too!

• oh, for the punpkin muffins--how many servings does that make?  it says make 6 large muffins-but based on the amount of egg whites and oatmeal... i can't figure it out.

• Six servings, OptiGirl. You can see the serving size when you go to the list of recipes. i have started a separate thread asking the BFL team to put the number of servings on the actual recipe pages.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• K, baked up the pumpkin chocolate muffins this morning.  I didn't have the LARGE muffin tin, but used the standard smaller size.  I also supbsituted 2 T. regular sugar for the sugar packets.  they turned out good, kinda bland due to the less sugar.  But the chocolate chips in it make up for the sweetness.  So next time I won't add any more sugar.

Hehe, another thing I learned is that since there is no oil or butter called for in the recipe, how IMPORTANT it is to use cooking spray on the tin!!!  I used paper liners, thinking those would peel right off.  But 1/3 of the muffin is stuck to it!  oh well, trial and error.

easy to make!

since my muffins turned out so small and couldn't scrape the excess off the paper liner, I ate 3 with a cup of skim milk and protein powder.

• Hello Paula,  I eat the protein pancakes 2 to 3 times a week. I mix in fresh blueberries. I bring them to work for a snack. My thing I do is use the same recipe, tripple the amount and make 9 muffins. Fridge them and bring 2 to 3 a day to work. Fast and easy. Hope you like this idea. Noel

• I make the protein pancakes almost everyday because they are so tasty and filling. But I haven't tried making a large batch at one time and freezing (stay at home mom means I have access to the kitchen all day). Great idea though. I think I'll try that this week!