Body-for-LIFE Nutrition Specifics

• greek yogurt has a much higher protein count than regular.  would you still add the powder?  (12g/6oz) or is that what you are saying...just the greek yogurt with flavor added?

• 7am- Glass of water

8:30am- Workout

9:30am- Anabolic Protein Powder Drink

10:30am- Glass of water

12:00pm- Slice of roasted Turkey *** and small portion of white potato with a glass of water

3:00pm- cottage cheese with fresh pineapple

4:00pm- Glass of water

5:30pm- Whole wheat tortilla wrap with chicken *** (boneless/skinless), a little shredded fat free cheese, a little dab of fat free sour cream with a glass of water

7:30pm- Glass of water

That is what is going into my mouth today!  Like I said....food is my biggest challenge!  I don't eat enough.  I used to go all day not eating and then I would eat dinner.  So eating all of these small meals a day is hard but I am already noticing that with working out I am finding myself hungry during the day.

• Sorry, I should have added this to my last post....My food tracker says that my daily budget for calories is 1457, today's food is 1124 calories and my exercise burned 263 calories leaving me with a balance of 596 under.  I don't know if that's good or bad......Thanks for everyone's help!!!

• Jen, all I can ask is how do you make it through the day on such low calories. I'm getting hungry thinking about it LOL

Looks like you need to eat more, I only saw 4 meals there. Your meals look spot on, I would try to get those 6 in. Should help your energy levels too. Those food trackers are ok to use, but the whole calorie burned thing is something I would not pay attention to. No way are they accurate.

Just do the workout, eat the right portions of food, often and you will see results.

• Thanks!!!  I did add carrots to my dinner and I had yogurt with granola and fresh fruit after dinner as a snack last night!   I will try to add more food....it is really hard for me!!  But I will do this!!!!!

• Also take another look at the amount of protein. For example, how large a slice of roasted turkey at noon? You should be aiming for 3-4 ounces of lean meat. Likewise, yogurt with granola and fresh fruit will be light on the protein unless you add some protein powder to the yogurt.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• The B.F.L. for Women book (read several years ago) recommended only 5 meals a day for women.  It doesn't seem that most people agree with that on this forum.

Should I be watching out for hidden sugar?  Like today I had Balsamic Vinaigrette on my salad (has sugar).  

And last night, an eighth cup or less of dried berries...but the sugar is at 25 g. per quarter cup...

The sweet texture was wonderful to end my meal last night, but don't want to be sabotaging myself.  

• I go by the original book...either way I do 6 meals. Nice to have something in the evening...

Anyway, YES for sure watch for hidden sugars in dressings, sauces... sugar from fruit like eating berries or a piece of fruit is one thing but the sugars in packaged stuff is a no- no...

• I hope  this thread is not creating more confusion. I really wanted to try and simplify things because I know that when you read in the book about palm/fist method it does create a lot of questions. I know because I too thought it was a very vague guideline. As long as you are honest about a palm and a fist portion then of course it will work.

However, there is only one other way I know how to give a guideline in terms correct amounts of food.

I am no way a nutritionist or certified to give advice. I just am here trying to help. SO take this for what it is worth.

Line up your macros in each meal according to the ratios on your myoplex.

So for the ladies, most of whom I will assume are drinking the Myoplex Lite. The Lite has 20g of protein and 20g of carbs. So if you are having a meal of chicken and rice, get 20 g of protein and 20g of carbs.

Same for the men. 42g pro/19g carb/7g fat. I am looking on the RTD label @EAS.com. I am assuming the amounts of pro/carb are the same on the packets as well.

And yes you gotta watch out for hidden sugars in dressings and such. To me if I am in this challenge to get my best results, then I'm gonna give it my best effort and there are much better choices than granola an yogurt. Yes those taste good, save em for a free meal. Just my $.02.

Sugar from fruit is fine, as long as it's fresh fruit.

Also don't worry about BFL for women. Why? Cause there is only one BFL book and it's by Bill Phillips. Focus on that.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

• I'm a total newbie to BFL but have started this week.  My question is about eating and working out.  I'm not entirely clear.  The book says if you exercise in the AM do so before eating.  I assume this is the recommended way to proceed.  What is the window of time after workout for eating?  If the workout comes in the PM, is there a waiting period after eating and what is the window of time after workout for eating?  

I have a lot of body fat to lose and have been told that based on body type and behavior I am probably carb sensitive so I should eat fewer carbs in the PM.  I've also read that the insulin produced in response to carbs is needed for amino acids to be taken up by muscle cells.  So it sounds like if I work out in the PM I am better off eating protein and carbs afterwards to prevent muscle loss.

I have a feeling that due to differences between individuals any effort to optimize fat loss without muscle loss is probably not one size fits all.  

I appreciate any insight and thank you for your assistance.

Many thanks

Gordo

• I'm a total newbie to BFL but have started this week.  My question is about eating and working out.  I'm not entirely clear.  The book says if you exercise in the AM do so before eating.  I assume this is the recommended way to proceed.  What is the window of time after workout for eating?  If the workout comes in the PM, is there a waiting period after eating and what is the window of time after workout for eating? 

First off...welcome!!

With regard to working out, true the book recommends working out in the am and for cardio days in the am on an empty stomach. That is not always realistic for people so if you are not prepared to get up at 5:00am to do your workouts, just do them when you can. I believe the waiting period after you eat for workout would be about 2hrs or so prior to workout have some protein and complex carbs.

As for after workouts the book recommends waiting 1hour after cardio, and 30 min after a weight training session to eat. At that time you have a portion protein and a portion carbs.

I have a lot of body fat to lose and have been told that based on body type and behavior I am probably carb sensitive so I should eat fewer carbs in the PM.  I've also read that the insulin produced in response to carbs is needed for amino acids to be taken up by muscle cells.  So it sounds like if I work out in the PM I am better off eating protein and carbs afterwards to prevent muscle loss.

You can do something called carb tapering which is basically reducing your carbs towards the evening. For example make the last two meals veggie carbs vs. having complex carbs (rice, sweet potato, quinoa). And YES, I agree, if you workout in the PM you should still have a complex carb after (esp. after weight training).

I have a feeling that due to differences between individuals any effort to optimize fat loss without muscle loss is probably not one size fits all.  

this is true. Sometimes some minor tweaks to make the program more personal to you is all it takes. And the idea is to lose fat and not muscle and that is why it is so important to make sure you are getting enough of each macro.

Good luck!!

• Gordon - don't worry about what others tell you. Just do it.

Eat as soon as you can following your workout.

• Charlie,

I'm really grieving over portions...  I totally understand the fist/palm and 1/2 cup , etc portioning.  I did this program a long time ago and used the fist/palm and it worked fine.  (I can't remember when the weight started pouring off but it did - over 30 lbs of it).  I'm 6-1, started BFL at 210# and am 49y/o (does age make a difference metabollically (sp)?

What I'm struggling with now is that 1/2 cup or even a fist of cooked brown rice looks huge.  For instance, last night, I made stir fry chicken.  (No oil used just ff spray).  I specifically measured the portions by weight.  

Chicken 7.3 oz

Stir Fry Vegetables 8 oz  (half of a 16 oz frozen bag)

1/2 cup of cooked brown rice

I served all of this on a regular sized dinner plate.  It completely covered the plate!  Of course I ate it all.  In addition, I had a raw spinach salad with FF dressing.

I was as full as a tick and when my evening snack came around, I had to force myself to drink a shake.

Woke up this morning and I was just as full.  It was HIIT day so I waited 1 hour after workout till I drank an 8oz protien shake.  2 hours later, I had 1/2 cup of cottage cheese microwaved into 1/2 cup dry oatmeal  (sounds gross I know but I'm used to it).  

Thus, my question:

ARE THESE PORTIONS CORRECT?  

AM I EATING TOO MUCH?

Regards,

Red

(aka "Worried I ain't doin it right....")

• Red,

1. You say you used the fist/palm method when you did the program before and it worked. So why do you want to change it? I say if it's not broke, don't fix it.

2. You are wondering if your portions are correct and if you are eating too much? Well if you are losing fat in the 1-3 lb range weekly, then Yes your portions are correct. If you are not losing body fat then your portions are too big.

Whatever your portions are right now, keep em that way and at the end of the week, when you weigh in and take your bf%, let your results do the talkin. All your weigh ins are is feedback.

I typically weigh in Sunday morning, especially if I am taking a free day. Which ever day that is, just keep it consistent.

Charlie

• Charlie,

Thanks for the reply and I'll try not beleaguer the point but I'm at week 5 with only 6 lbs lost....

1.  Fist/palm did indeed work but that was over 10 years ago and I've forgotten alot since then.  (I kept records but now I can't find them...)  I'm also 10 years older and at the dawn of 50 next Fall.  Do you think age greatly affects metabolism?

2.  I haven't checked my BF% since day one because I didn't want to get into an expectations game.  I plan on doing that at the end of 6 weeks (1 week from Sunday).  I do try to limit myself to a weight scale check each week.  This is where the problem seems to be coming from.  As of 5 weeks, I've only lost 6 lbs.  I "think" I've lost inches but won't tape measure or check BF% until next week to compare to my original measurements.

You mention a "1-3 lb range" per week.  I do remember experiencing that during my last time through (remember that was 10 years ago).  I just don't remember WHEN it started happening.  But, when it did, I was indeed losing 2-3 lbs per week.  It was amazing.  

If I'm expecting too much too soon then a note of encouragement is needed here...  Or, if I need to just shut up, keep my head down and keep plugging along, I need to hear that too!

I do know I'm working out harder than I ever did.  My HIIT''s have improved vastly.  I went from holding on for dear life to the bars on the sides of my treadmill to not having to this week.  (A big accomplishment for me).  I'm lifting more weight and my cadence feels correct.

I won't feel successful at the end of 84 days unless I reach where I was the first time I did BFL.  I want to do everything I can to ensure that success... In order for me to do that, I need to make sure I'm doing everything correct. 

Thanks for your help and this is a great post!

Red