Body-for-LIFE Nutrition Specifics

• well I don't drink coffee so I don't know lol

But seriously, I am talking about a measuring cup.

So for beans, rice it's 1/2c cup. For oats, pasta it's gonna be 1/2c uncooked.

And for your fruits, potatoes just have 1. I believe I stated above that most potatoes bought in a 5 or 10 lb bag are a medium sized, which is the size of a computer mouse.

No such thing as a stupid question, keep em coming.

Go ahead and post your current meal plan and let's see how we can make it better suited for you.

• palm/fist is vague, but this is inaccurate for many people

using the gram method is accurate for everyone who is under 300 pounds and this method has been advocated by BFL

1 gram of carb and 1 gram of protein per pound of scale body weight

I am not talking weighing your food.

I am talking if you are 150 pounds then you would have 25g of carb and 25 of protein per meal.  3 oz of chicken is typically about 25 so that works for the average sized woman.

What to do for brown rice?  Look at the package.  If 1/3 cup is 33 grams and you are making a batch, then make 1 1/3 cups for 4 portions.  Now you will know what it looks like and won't have to look again. 

Using simply average methods does not work for so many people here.

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• Did you mean "bad" science and not bro?  My science is well researched.  Please share yours.  

• Jessica, apparently you did not read my above message when I stated I did not create this thread to argue with you or anyone else here on opinions.

This thread was created by myself to help other people who are not getting the desired effects they seek, to achieve those results. This is not a thread for you and me to argue about who is right.

I don't have the time, nor do I want to argue with someone who just wants to argue and accepts everything the supplement industry claims to be true.

You wanna argue with me, send an email.

• Charlie - Who is arguing?  ...besides you that is...

I like accurate information, both giving and receiving.  You attacked my information so I backed it up.  Just contributing something should not create such hostility from you.  Please check yourself.  

Oh, my information does not come from the supplements industry, it comes from scientific journals and I check who commissioned the study to make sure it wasn't for a supplement company.  You need to research more.  

People will get better results with good information.

Also, EAS / Abbott provide this site to you for free.  You need to be much more appreciative and respectful.  

• Then please start a nutrition thread teaching us of the accurate information from scientific journals so we can all learn.

Thank You.

• To Charlie -

I'm nearly 3 weeks in and have lost 9lbs in first 2 weeks, haven't weighed in this week yet.

My average day is like this:

7am  Gym

8am  Meal 1 (Oatmeal, 50g made with water and extra skimmed milk. 2 Scoops of Whey Protein with water)

11am  Meal 2 (Whole Skinless Chicken *** and Wholemeal Tortilla wrap with lettuce and green peppers, extra low fat mayo and a t spoon of salsa dressing)

1pm    Meal 3 (baked Potato and can of Tuna, broccoli)

4PM  Meal 4 (Myoplex Lite shake)

7.30PM  Meal 5 (3 eggs scrambled served with a wholemeal Pitta)

10.30PM  Meal 6 (1 large apple and 1/2/ pot of low fat Cottage cheese

I also drink 3 litres of water a day and have cut out coffee, alcohol, salt, and diet coke from my diet. I feel drink, but I sometimes think I may be eating too many carbs and not enough protein.

I am currently weighing 230lbs (was 239) and am 6ft 3" tall and have massive fists (why the whole fist /carb thing in the book threw me.) I know other guys the same size as me and have smaller hands.

Really focused on everything, just don't want to over do it with the carbs!

• Hey Charlie,

It's interesting that you recommend 4oz of protein and 1/3c of carbs (oatmeal, rice, etc). I used 2oz of protein and 1/2c of oatmeal or rice (or 4 oz potato) during my challenge. towards the end i changed it to 4 oz of protein and 1/4c carbs or 2 oz potato. I did this only because years ago, like 15 yrs, when I competed this was the meal plan my trainer laid out for me. I knew it worked so I followed it.

I'll have to try your suggestion now. I'm open to trying new stuff.

Jessica-Mighty-Max - I'm confused about the Natural PB comment though since it's on the recommended food list and part of the sample meal plan.

• Kim - Natural PB is not in the original BFL book.  The list has gotten more liberal since the book was written and that list on page 84 (I think that's the page).  It's not "evil", but doesn't add the kind of  value you would want.  It's omega 6 and you really need Omega 3.  Also, there's too much stuff in it that you don't need, like bad fat, versus something more pure.  Mike Harris wrote a great blog on natural PB.  Let me see if I can find it.

• Anyone know why Avocado and almonds aren't approved foods?

• I'm fairly sure it's fat content, but you know, moderation in all things. I use a little guacamole when I make burritos.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• almonds and avocado are perfectly fine to eat. I hope everyone realizes there are nutritious foods to eat that are not on Bill Phillips list. The list is a starting point, a guideline, it's not the end all be all of nutrition.

• Hi Charlie-

I am just starting out and am trying to understand all of this.  I found an online food/exercise tracker and after putting my info. in it tells me I should be eating 1457 calories a day....after logging everything going into my mouth and logging my exercise...it is saying that I am 530 calories from my daily calories.  Is this hurting me?  I started BFL yesterday and I LOVE the workouts, it's understanding the food that is a challenge to me so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank You-Jen

• Both plain unsalted almonds (22 is the avg servings) and 1/2 avocado would be acceptable servings of fat.  I wouldn't eat them both in the same day, however if you have the ability to adhere to portion control they won't kill your challenge.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Jen - please post your daily menu. 530 calories is really low and over the long run, yes that would hurt your efforts.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.