In this for LIFE... because I want my "body for life"...

• Hi, I am going into my 4th week on the program. I am not seeing much weight movement. I may be getting a bit more defined, yet nothing major and clothes definitely not falling off me!

Any advice?

Here is a typical day of food for me:

7:30 AM: 1/2 cup dry oats and 1 scoop protein powder

10:30AM: Post Gym

1/2 cup fat free yogurt with 1/2 scoop protein powder and  a fruit

1:00 PM: Tuna on 2 pieces ezekial bread OR 1/2 cup egg whites plus one egg with mushroom, onions and a bit of feta cheese with 5oz sweet potato OR egg/oat pancake (1/2 c egg whites plus 1 egg, 1/2 cup oats and fry in pam sprayed pan)

add cucumbers and carrots to any of the above

3:30 PM: 1/2 c fat free cottage cheese and a fruit

5:30PM: Chicken or fish or ground beef, 1/2c cooked quinoa or sweet potato and veggies with olive oil

8:00PM Protein powder in water, broccoli

Please let me know what you think.Any help is appreciated. Maybe my expectations are just skewed...

I do the 3 weight workouts and 2 20 min cardios and 1 spin class each week. I work HARD when I am in the gym!

Thanks!

• Congrats on being 4 weeks in!!!

Stick to the BFL plan by the book for all 12 weeks and you will see results. Don't get caught in the trap of watching the scale every day. 12 weeks is actually a very fast time frame to see results. Set your sights on day 84 and you will not be dissapointed. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

As for food I am a firm believer in the BFL book. 6 meals spaced 2 - 3 hours apart each one containing a portion of protein the size of your palm and a portion of carbs the size of your clenched fist. at least 2 meals should have lots of veggies and drink two glasses of water with every meal if not more.

BFL works! Keep up the good work you have been doing and you will be successful and achieve the results you want!!!

All the best with your challenge

Orrin

• I have heard many times that some women will not see the progress they are making until late in the program, perhaps as late as after the 8th or 10th weeks. So the advice I am giving you is the same as I keep giving myself . . . be patient. It looks like you are on track with your diet and exercise.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Sometimes I feel as if I can be eating too many veggies with a meal... does that make sense? I feel I need to increase the veggies so i won't be wanting other stuff (ie sweets etc.).

I am just a carbophobe and scared.  For me to be eating even "good carbs" (ezekial bread, oats, sweet potatoes, quinoa) at every meal is a mental challenge more than anything else. To get over that carbs bloat me or make me fat is the hardest part. I guess I need some reassurance that I am eating the right things, and if I watch portions and keep my workouts great than I will do great. It is the food that worries me the most. On this plan as I laid out above I feel good, energetic and do not crave sweets as I did before. I do not feel deprived. I may have a few  almonds in addition at a snacktime but otherwise I think I stick to the plan.

I am hoping I will start to see more significant things soon. I have a skirt that I keep trying on that is not seeming to be getting any looser. I kind of thought it would have by now.

As for my "free day" it is not really free.  I will have some of the things I like, or dessert, but really the only difference is it is a bit less structured than the 6 other days of the week.

I would just like to see some results. They don't have to be on the scale necessarily but I want the clothes to be getting looser and the confidence to be there.

Mentally I am really struggling...

• ayummymmommy,

Don't be afraid of carbs. I understand and it is perfectly normal to feel that way but carbs are actually your friend. With BFL your body becomes the machine it was meant to be. Your metabolism is revved up and you burn fat and build muscle. Carbs are the fuel for the machine. Depriveing your body of carbs will have the opposite effect than you want. I tried to cut carbs in an attempt to lean out but it didnt happen. I lost all energy, therefore my performance in the gym nose dived, and my body, senseing starvation, held on for dear life to everything and anything I had or fed my body. in my second challenge I lost that last bit of weight and body fat and it was due to a few things: 1) I ate exactly as the book describes without 1 single cheat or extra anything. 2) I did my cardio on an empty stomach and stuck to the 20 min HIIT and pushed myself beyond my percieved limitations on the treadmill. 3) for me supplements really helped my body push hard and recover sooner. not that you need supplements to achieve your personal goals but they have really helped me. Start in the kitchen though. nutrition is 80% of a BFL transformation. if the eating isn't right all the supplements and work in the gym wont make a difference.

Know you have the strength within you to change your life, be successful and reach your goal!. BFL works!! It was changed the lives of thousands upon thousands, It has changed my life and it will change yours.

If you can get your hands on the BFL success journal it will help you immensely. not only does it have all the forms to plan your daily work outs and meals but has a page dedicated to what I think is the most important part of BFL - the power mindset. you write out goals for each day and keep track of your daily successes. It is great! It also has an inspirational word from bill phillips for each day as well as a success story. My success journal keeps me motivated and on track. I highly, highly recommend it.

KEEP GOING! Keep doing all the good things you have been doing.  Push yourself further because each of us is capable of so much more than we think we are. Stick with the BFL plan and you WILL be successful! you WILL see results!

Sorry this is so long

I hope it helps

Orrin

• Orrin... I love your info and the longer the better!!! It means to me that you have a lot of valuable info and you care enough about others to share it.

I wish I could do some fasted state cardio. My problem is I wake at 6:30am, prepare my 4 children's breakfasts, eat myself at 7:00 or so, do carpool at 8:30 and get to the gym for 9:00 or so. I have to have eaten before I go. Is there any strategy I can use to mimic the fasted state cardio?

When you say not one single cheat... that does not apply to free day right? what do you eat on your free day?

I know I need patience and persistence... I just tend to feel a bit discouraged when I am not seeing any measurable differences...

• also, what is your opinion on the one spin per week in place of the 20 min HIIT? Should I try doing the HIIT instead of the spin for a bit?

Also.... drop any cream in coffee? (only 1 tsbp, but maybe 1tbsp too much?)

• for cardio what I do, and others may do it differently, is this. I am up at 5:30 and have two glasses of water. I get to town and the gym around 7:45 and run by 8. first meal is at 9. not everyone can do this. Now not everyone can run in the moring. what do people who run at night do? they don't eat in the three hours prior to their run then wait an hour after cardio to eat again. You will have to find what works best for you. maybe don't eat at 7am or eat a smaller meal or a protein shake. on cardio days I only get 5 meals in beacuse my first meal is so late. I have started to change that because I have leaned out and dont want to affect muscle mass.

when I say not one single cheat I mean for 6 days of the week I ate bfl 100% of the time. I also, but this was a personal choice, cut out all bread, alcohol, sugar, and caffine. I drank minimum 4L (1 gallon) of water a day as well. Free days were free but not crazy and definatley not binge days. I would make blueberry bran muffins in the moring and have them warm with a smidge of butter, i would have some chocolate and usually some hot wings with franks red hot sauce. I would still eat 6 meals a day and kept them spaced 3 hours apart. I was also carful not to eat too many starchy carbs (potato, sweet potatoe) for my last 2 meals. still had carbs but from fruit sources or nutritional shakes.

As for cardio I would say for the duration of your challenge stick with 3 20 min HIIT sessions. once you are in a place where you are happy you can mix it up a bit. That is what I have done anyway. nothing burns fat like 20 min HIIT.

You are right about patience and persistence. I understnad about wanting to see a difference. Think of a big cruise ship. It is sailing along then one day the captin realizes they have been sailing the wrong way! well they cant just stop and turn around right there. it take time to slow the ship down and turn it around. then they have been sailing the wrong way for awhile so they have to head back the way they came for a time then finally they start making progress in the right direction.  

make sense?

You ARE making progress. We are our own worst critics. Trust me, give all 12 weeks everything you got AND more then compare your before and after pics. you will not be dissapointed.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! I know you can!!!

• Mommy...it sounds like your doing great and  your menu seems fine to me. I am on my last day of my fourth week. On the scale, I have lost 9 pounds, but My clothes do not seem any looser and I sure as heck don't see any difference when I look in the mirror, LOL...However, I have noticed, that I have much more energy, generally feel great, have a better outlook on life and my problems with Low sugar have disappeared. The benefits I have reaped in 4 weeks have been awesome and I am stoked! I was planning on taking some 4 week pictures but am unsure now..Might wait till the 8th week in case the pics don't show a difference and It brings me down! Keep up the great work :)

• ok, this is all some great advice. I was thinking on the cardio days to just have a protein shake in the am before and then continue on my day... humm something to consider.

And as for the spin vs. HIIT... maybe for the next 4 weeks I will try the HIIT instead and see what happens.

At dinner I will have a starchy carb such as sweet potato or quinoa but the last meal I have kept a protein shake and veggies. Just can't get myself to have a starchy carb before bed.

What are your thoughts on diet soda once in a while (diet dr. pepper keeps my sweet tooth at bay)...

i know I am making some progress. Workouts are definitely improving and energy is great. Just have to keep my eyes straight ahead and not get down by not seeing numbers on the scale change or not seeing change as rapidly as I'd like. URGH! Frustrating.

• So I have ordered a BFL Success Journal (I write everything down already in an Oxygen Mag journal) and I will try on cardio days to simulate a "fasted state" cardio by having just a protein and veggie at my 7:00 AM meal. I will also swap the tuesday spin for the 20 minute HIIT for 4 weeks. I will see how that all goes.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for all the support and tips...keep 'em coming!!

• You are doing fine, and are right on track.  In my 4-week pics, I was so discouraged that I considered not continuing on.  I didn't see substantial changes until weeks 10-12. Orrin and everyone else already gave you fabulous advice.  If you folow the plan, you WILL get results.  It's been proven many times over.  As far as cardio in a fasted state....the only day I did that was Saturday.  On Tues & Thurs, I'd eat a regular full breakfast at 5:30 a.m., and then do my cardio at 8:30 a.m.  I would then wait an hour, and drink a protein shake.  Also, don't worry about eating too many vegetables...there's no such thing, in my opinion.  I would have my regular portion of meat, and carb & then fill up on veggies...broccoli, carrots, asparagus, salad, etc.....I would often have two veggies with two of my meals.

You will love the journal for so many reasons; it became a "bible' to me during my challenge.

Best of luck to you!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I did not even take pictures at 4 weeks, or 8 weeks, which I just passed. I took measurements, but I think that they under-represent my progress so far because I have lost the most in an area that is not even measured (that pesky little belly roll between my waist and hips). I figure the rest will follow in its good time.

I truly think the best thing to do is commit in advance to finishing the twelve weeks regardless of interim progress. It can't be a waste of time to take better care of ourselves.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• ayummymommy-

So many of us have been where you are now!  Those middle weeks can be VERY frustrating but keep doing what you are doing.  You will see a difference, it just takes time.  All the advice you have gotten here has  been great---and I've heard it from many of the same people when I wrote my  own "frustration posts". :)

I'm near the end of my challenge now and am certainly seeing the difference.  Don't forget to take photos too---sometimes what you can't see, the camera can.  For whatever reason, in my challenge, I would not see much change and then one day I'd wake up and my clothes would be more loose.  My transformation has gone in stages like that.  Seemingly no change and then some real progress. Everyone is different in terms of how their results show up but if you follow the program, you will see the change eventually.  Stick with it, sounds like the other positives (energy, mood) are already showing.  

Hang in there!!!!

• Thank you!! I love all the feedback and support!