Starting November 22nd... Are You Ready?

• Good afternoon:

I do have to say that I am typically a very positive, glass half full type person, so excuse the negativity for this post:

I went to the new gym this morning with a positive outlook, and left hating it!!  There are so many things I don't like about it.  The weight room was packed.  They only have v-grip bars, no straight bars at all.  My last gym had incremental weights (12.5, 17.5, 22.5, 27.5.....).  This one only goes up in increments of 5#.  There were so many women on machines and gabbing to one another while on them.  I asked one woman, who was sitting on the seat for the lat pulldown,  if I could work in one set.  She informed me that she was using it, as she continued to sit there.  All of the cardio equipment is upstairs, looking down on the weight room and machines.  They don't have any changing rooms in the locker room, and I tend to be a bit modest, so I had to change in a restroom stall.  As I was leaving, a water aerobics class was letting out, so there were 20+ naked senior citizens walking around the locker room.....not my cup of tea at all.  Guess I am going to have to start shopping around.  I don't even feel like I got a good workout in.....

Anyhow....I hope you are all having a wonderful day.

Grandpa:  sounds like a nice weekend.  What treadmill are you eyeing?

Cuervo: I totally hear you.  My sister has 80+ pounds to lose and when we talk, I try to remind her that when she gets there, she is not done; she will always be in maintenance mode.  I was thinking about that when I was making my meal plan the other day....I thought, "this is what I am going to have to do for the rest of my life if I intend to stay fit & healthy."  I got down a little bit thinking about it, but then came to my senses and realized how good I feel when I am in control of my own health.  One time will never hurt you, it is when that one snowballs into many more.

Brick:  Wow, day 71 already.  You go get 'em at the gym.  We expect you to come crawling back tomorrow in pain.

2C:  So glad you were able to enjoy those nice temps.  We are cooling off this week, after being in the 70's last week.  I have lost 2 of the 4 pounds I wanted to lose, but won't hit my goal tomorrow.  After having lunch out with my dad on Saturday and going to lunch with my sister tomorrow, and eating a cupcake my daughters made for me, my weight isn't going to be reflecting any losses anytime soon.  But, I am in week 6 of this challenge, so intend to really hit the last part of the challenge hard.

Staats:  Sounds like a fun weekend.  Missing a cardio session isn't going to hurt you.  You will jump right back in the saddle.  My food has not bee very good.  I went to lunch with my dad and ate what I planned, but then ate little bites of unauthorized foods during the day.  My daughters made cupcakes for my birthday, so I had to eat one.  Then I go out to lunch with my sister tomorrow.  I already plannedo ut what I am going to order, I just have to stay good after that.  I am supposed to do weight & measurements with my trainer on Wed., and I really wish I had a week to "detox" this food first.  Oh well, it is what it is.

Parson:  thanks for the constant reminders to push ourselves, eat healthy and drink our water.  You are such a great leader for this group.  I am sure you are all anxious for a little R&R.

Well, have a fabulous day, Warriors!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• THOSE WHO TRY TO DO SOMETHING AND FAIL ARE INFINATELY BETTER THAN THOSE WHO TRY TO DO NOTHING AND SUCCEED!!!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• BDMOM- Sorry to hear that your new gym was not good. you will find a new place in no time. The things you mentioned are exactly the reason I started working out at home. It took me a few years to get all the equipment i have now, but you can certainly do an entire workout and stay healthy with just basic weights.

As far as the food, I typically do not have a free day (maybe a free meal every couple of weeks) and food is no problem recently, but working the afternoon shift and having the vending machine there, being out late coming home from work etc,etc just made me have to exercise restraint. It was just a reminder that you can go backwards easier than you can go forwards. I think I will always have to be mindful of what got me where i was (unhealthy), and where i am now (much healthier, but not where i want to be).

Have a great day everyone!!

• BDMom, Oh yes, that would also frustrate me big time. So, time to shop for another gym for sure. Many people like to socialize at the gym, we are there to work! I hope you find soon a gym that fits your goals!

Great that you are seeing the results you are looking for! Way to go! I am sure you are choosing the best foods available when you go out. And that cupcake, well if your daughter made it for you bday: you had to eat it. And, it wont make a difference, as long as you dont go for more :) It would be tempting for me!

You will rock the second part of this period!!

• BDMom, I'd be livid. Some gyms just have no rules.

I rocked those weights tonight! It was like they were happy to see me! Of course, it was nowhere near my old totals (usually around 15000) but not too shabby (13000 +) for living on such a calorie reduction. Felt great!

There's a girl out there warming up with your max.

• Morning everyone,

I punished the weights last night. It wasn't pretty lol. Seriously, had one of my better workouts last night. I too am ready for a little break I think. In the past, I would always take a break after 8-9 weeks. I really noticed last challenge that I seemed drained for the last couple of weeks. This time isn't as bad, but I can still tell it is time. I hope you all are doing well lets continue on strong. The finish line is in sight. Have a great day.

• Good Morning WFL's!

One more workout in the bag for me this AM!  I did battle with the iron this AM!!!

Cuervo - glad to hear that the CHOP House was dishing out punishment last night!

BDMom - I laughed at the thought of you having to endure naked senior citizens.  It's not funny, but you know what I mean.  I'm sure you will get settled somewhere soon....or learn to workout with a blind fold.  I figure if we don't laugh at our situations sometimes we will go crazy!

Staats - hope the weather cooperates this week with you.  You have some awesome workouts in store for this week, I just know it!

Brick - Glad to hear you punished the weights last night too.

GPH, 2C...everyone else - this is your day.  You are going to accomplish great things in the gym and in the kitchen.

I just realized that we are a little less than 2 weeks a way from finishing our 2nd challenge!  If only 5% of people finish one challenge.  We are a rare breed in deed to finish two of these.  The days are coming when we will no longer be able to count "challenges".  Our victories will be too many to number!!!

• Well, no gym for me today.  Or tomorrow, by looking at the size of the weather system headed our way.  They closed campus, so at least I'm home and not on the icy roads.  I'll dig out my hand weights this afternoon just so I don't lose the workout.  Then tomorrow, there is always the dreadmill!  I hope everyone stays safe and warm!

• No time for replies this morning.  I am heading out to meet my sister to get fitted for some good running shoes (we are running a 5K on Feb. 19th), which reminds me...I don't think I ever answered your question, Staats.  I am doing nothing more than HIIT to prepare for the 5K.  When I start running longer distances, I will probably have to add some add'l training.  Then we are going to Whole Foods (my favorite store ever, but not too close to home, so I have to pick up some dry ice on the way), and then she is taking me out to eat for my birthday.  Yes, my birthday week is almost over (ha).  Why not drag it out as long as possible, right?  I probably won't be home until close to when kiddos getting home from school, so if I don't check back in today, I def. will tomorrow a.m.

Have a great day, everyone!

• Good job everyone on killing those weights!!! I also had one of my best workout today. I killed the weights (lower body sore also from yesterday) and did some 15 mins cardio to get the legs those legs to loosen up. Felt a great jolt of energy after that!

Susan, sorry about the nasty weather. Be safe and yes, put those free weights and dreadmill to use at home!!

PB, Its great to be part of that small group that actually sticks with it! Warriors 4ever...

Everyone have a great day!!

• My cardio yesterday was shoveling this snow! Another couple of inches fell overnight (on top of yesterday's 8") and we're expecting another 8" today and then ice. YUCK. My arms were not happy with me when I was shoveling yesterday!

Everything is closed today, even my office, and everyone is advised to stay off the roads. Feeling like a true Warrior today, although I'm not venturing out!

Keep your eyes on the prize, Warriors! A week and a half left! Make it count!

There's a girl out there warming up with your max.

• Page 4!!!! I thought you all had kicked me out!!!LOL

I obliterated the weights yesterday. They were laying in the floor crying when I finished...Seriously, things are going great. I got up at 4:15am and ran 4.15 miles. Instead of HIIT, I decided to go a little farther this morning with LISS Cardio for 30 minutes.  Food is going good, feeling energized, and just all around on top of the world. Haven't missed any workouts, gaining strength.

I have been reading a little and changed my lifting slightly. I have not changed my workout and am still doing my normal routine, but I have been reading on the way you perform your reps. I usually go slow and controlled up and down when lifting. Recently, there have been many articles and thoughts around about being explosive in the positive portion of the lift. Basically you push or pull as fast as you can on the exertion part of the lift (all while still keeping correct form) then the negative is slow and controlled. Explode the force from the bottom and bring it up fast, then let it back down slowly. Boy this really makes you feel differently. I am spent by the time my workout is done. I get a huge pump and feel like I am going to explode. Just shows that the exact same routine can be altered by one little thing and totally change the results.

I hope everyone is doing great. give it all you have and you wont be disappointed.

Have a great day.

• Good morning gang!

Brick - Sounds like my kind of cardio this AM for you!  Shoveling is good stuff...at least my dad thought it was good for me when I was younger - LOL!

Cuervo - 4:15AM for cardio...There is a Warrior in the house today!  Makes my 6am run look kind of weak!

Alright everyone....we are just about to round 3rd here.  Have a great day!

• Good Morning all:

Another busy day here, but didn't want to get rolling without checking in with all of you first.  I am eating my egg white burrito and 1/2 grapefruit right now.  I will head out in about 90 minutes for my first official training appt. with my new trainer.  I know I will be feeling new muscles tomorrow (well ones I have neglected anyway).  I am then heading to Trader Joes (small market) and then back home to make cookies for my daughter's super bowl party, and then to school to pick them up.  It is really cold here today for Phoenix (highs in the 40's).  It's been a funny weather year for us.  

Parson:  Your dad was right.  I just read an article not too long ago about how many calories one burns while shoveling snow.  I don't remember, because I know I won't be doing any of that here..but it was significant.  My husband had the same reaction when I mentioned the naked senior citizens.  I was rambling on about all the things I didn't like about the gym, and when I mentioned that, he got a real kick out of it.

Cuervo:  I read a few articles last year on explosive training, and talked to my trainer friend about it.  I did it for a few weeks, but didn't feel I was getting the most from it...maybe I was doing it wrong.  Will have to revisit that sometime, I guess.  Sounds like it is working well for you.  I think changing it up, whatever it takes, is what matters.

Brick:  Enjoy your day "snowed in."  Stay warm and enjoy your time with your family.  If you keep getting snow, you are going to have the best upper body at the end of this challenge.  Don't think Bill Phillips ever put "snow shoveling" as one of the exercise options, but he should have.

K...gotta run.  Have a great day.  Who is posting pictures after this challenge???  I can't wait to see.

• Good morning! Cardio and abs were great this morning. I have a hate/love relationship with the cardio: hate it as I start and love it when I am done! Its certainly worth not thinking about it and just get started!

Brick, we missed all the snow and I am glad we did. I dont envy the shoveling workout! Its a tough thing to do in cold....

BDMom, have a great workout with the trainer!

Cuervo and PB, ok so my workout started at 6:30 AM. You guys are just killing it!

GrandpaH, miss your great inspirational quotes!! Where are you??

SusanC, still stuck at home? did you give the free weights and dreadmill a lesson?

Staats, hope you are doing great today!

Everyone else reading, be your strongest today.