Starting November 22nd... Are You Ready?

• GENTLEMEN (AND LADIES OF COURSE) START YOUR ENGINES.

The green flag drops Monday everyone. No looking back. Just put on your blinders and look to the future and envision what you will be in 12 weeks. For the regulars, you know what amazing things can happen. Lets live up to our potential. For the newcomers, buckle your seatbelts because you are about to take one helluva ride. Stay close with the group and I guarantee you will find the support and motivation to push you to a level you can't even imagine.

Have a great weekend.

CUERVO IS IN THE HOUSE. LOL.

• Hey, newbies, that's Cuervo. He's awesome. Hi, Cuervo! Nice to see you again!

Huge surprise at the gym tonight... I went to just poke around and stay strong... After 2 sets of 12 at 180 on the leg press, I thought, jeez, if I can do 180 24 times, I can do 300 once, right?

RIGHT!

In fact, I did 300 SIX times! Woot! Gotta work on my maxes for next week!

There's a girl out there warming up with your max.

• Brickhouse --- you are right .... we can all do more, last longer, lift more,etc.  if we just get out of our comfort zone & do it.

Speaking of comfort zones, I finally got the nerve to post my C1 before & after pics on my profile. I met some of my goals, got close on others & missed a couple. If I had met all of my goals I would be thinking that I set my goals too low!!

I realize now that I did not eat as clean as I should have & could have in C1..... time to buckle down for C2. I have set new goals, am re-reading "the book" and am ready & anxious to go!!

I am going to Play It Again Sports this AM to look for some heavier weights.

I will be checking in here daily to listen for the honking!!

• Honk Honk....hope you are all having a great Saturday, and planning for the week ahead.

I had an egg white burrito this morning, and after that digested, I went for a run (practicing for my 5K next month)...I am so not a runner, but will do this with my sister since I committed.  I plan to do another one in Feb, just to try to beat this time (whatever it turns out to be) but may just stick with my HIITs for running after that.  I also made banana nut muffins & pumpkin muffins yesterday and had a pumpkin one a little while ago.  My kids have been bugging me to make these, but I wouldn't while still doing my challenge.  I finally got them made last night and put a few out, and froze the rest to put in their lunchboxes, or for them after dinner.

I am doing laundry and cleaning house for the week ahead; a house full of company starting Tuesday.  I am going to a women's self defense class today, and then will have about 30 minutes to get ready for dinner with hubby after that.  I bought a great dress to wear tonite; can't wait.

Cuervo:  sounds like you are ready to go!!!

Wow Brick:  You are an animal.  Can't wait to see your lifting numbers this time around!!!  I hope you enjoy your dinner out with your hubby tonite.  I get to finally go out with mine!

Grandpa:  You have made wonderful progress.  You have definately lost in the middle, and you arms are much more defined.  Keep going; this will be the challenge you meet all of your goals!  Best of luck to you.

Have a wonderful day!!!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Honk honk!

Well, my nice, relaxing cardio with the hubby just wasn't meant to be this morning. Don't worry - if this wasn't still AR, I'd be there anyway. As we were getting ready to leave, we discovered a pretty serious problem in the basement with the drain. Suffice it to say it's nasty. I spent all day throwing out wet, gross stuff. My husband is very handy, but I think this one is beyond his scope. If anyone has any experience with old cast iron drain pipes, please inbox me! Of course, these things only happen on weekends. Well, at least it's not NEXT weekend.

I'm feeling a little pep in my step because, oddly, I'm seeing changes in the mirror this week that have me stumped! Especially throughout my mid-section. These are things that I thought I'd see before AR, but I suppose it just goes to show you that the changes keep happening when you're not stressing about them.

Not sure if date night is still happening tonight at this point...

• Aw too bad Brick.  That sucks.  Hope date night will still be on.

I was supposed to have a date night - kinda - with someone I haven't met yet.  Not in person anyway.  We talked last night for a long time and then he asked me if I wanted to walk the dogs this afternoon and then go for dinner.  He's leaving for Aruba next week and I was really hoping I could put off meeting him till after that.  Do you think I could lose 50 pounds in three weeks?  LOL  Anyway, he got called out of town for work but he hopes to be back tomorrow and if so, we may hook up for a walk and dinner then.  

Okay I went to the gym this morning and had a great upper body workout but as I was doing it I realize I  am not clear on a few things.  So I have a question:  This is what I did.  I think it's wrong.  Example: dumbbell bench press and incline db press

1 set of 12 with 7.5 lbs.

rest one minute

1 set of 10 with 10 lbs.

rest one minute

1 set of 8 with 12/5 lbs. (I forgot to stop at 8 and went to 11 by mistake)

rest one minute

1 set of 6 with 15 lbs.

rest one munite

1 set of incline press with 10 lbs.

immediately

1 set of 12 bench press with 15 lbs.

Question:  does the new exercise go AFTER the last set with the first exercise or between the 6 rep and 12 rep?

Question:  do you rest after every single one for 1 minute or are there any ones that you do immediately after the other

Question:  when you do the final 12 with the main exercise - which weight do you go to?  The highest or do you choose a lower one if you don't think you can do the full 12?

I misjudged my weights I think.  I might have been able to start higher with some of them, triceps for example.

It was still a good workout though.  Too bad it's a cardio day tomorrow because Sunday is my fav day to work out - so relaxed.

Thank you for your help.

• Grandpa Hiker, checked out your pics and can totally see the change.  Especially in the arms.

We have somethings in common.  I just turned 60 on September 29 and I also have high blood pressure.  My mother died of a massive stroke (after many other strokes) two days after my birthday.  So I am really wanting to get to a ripe old age in better shape than she did, or her mother and father for that matter.  One difference btween us:  I'm a woman LOL

Gross story:  her mother lived in england and lived alone, she had a massive stroke and died and wasn't found for 3 weeks.  My worst nightmare since I also live alone.  However unlike her I have friends.  And a dog and cat who would probably eat me anyway.

Yes I know I'm sick!

• Secretminime, this is an example of what you do:

Bench press for sets 1-5 (12,10, 8, 6, 12) with one minute rest in between, immediately followed by one set of 12 incline presses. The book recommends going down to approximately the weight you did your set of 8 with for your final 12 of the main exercise. I don't go up on weight for the last two sets (12 immediately followed by 12) UNLESS the second exercise is much easier than the one I started with, like when I start shoulders with lateral raises and finish them with shoulder press. Even then I only increase the weight when I move to the second exercise. Sometimes I can't do 12 at the weight I used for 8. You'll figure out your groove. It takes about 2 weeks.

The only way to lose 50 pounds in three weeks is to have some limbs removed or something equally drastic and I'm guessing you're not going to want that option... :-)

Don't worry too much about your before pics. They are a necessity. Mine made me sick and still do when I look at them. They will likely become your strongest motivation.

Good luck with your challenge. You have found an amazing and supportive group of people to fly with!

Honk, honk!

Michelle

The only real obstacles in life are those you place in front of yourself. There is always an alternative or another way around, even if that alternative is just looking at the obstacles in a positive light!

• Sceretminime --- I'm so sorry about your mother. That must be very hard for you. My 86 yr old mother lives alone also & I worry about her a lot.

I like you also plan on living healthy to a ripe old age. BTW, have you read Sherman Goodrich's story. 70 years old & looks better than most 40 yr olds.

bodyforlife.com/.../sherman-goodrich

Honk!! Honk!!

• Ready, set, GO!!!

Date night happened despite the plumbing emergency. A temporary fix is in place until we can get a professional in here. Yikes.

So glad that we were able to have our special Mommy & Daddy date because just as we were seated, the guy at the table across from us got down on one knee and proposed to his girlfriend! It was so sweet! I was all teary! If that restaurant was there when we got engaged, we'd have done it there!

I've gone through my exercises and numbers from C1 and I'm ready for a spectacular UBWO tomorrow to kick off my C2!! What kind of weight increments is everyone else using? Some of mine are only 5 lbs. at a time, and others are 20 or more at a time. 5 pounds makes a big difference with say, arm curls, but 20 pounds is sometimes not even noticeable on leg presses (of course, not on the same day).

I've got a small shopping list so I don't run out of the essentials: turkey, yogurt, lf cottage cheese... I'll be heading out to the supermarket in a little while.

I'm really excited to see what C2 holds for us all, and I'm so happy to be sharing this latest adventure with all of you! Honk if you agree!!

• What made you decide to do BFL? Have you ever done any other programs? I want to make a change in my life. For the rest of my life.So tired of having burden on my shoulders and the thought "ok next year I will be at this _____ weight".  

I will be joinong in tomorrow. Do you keep up with your calories just to see how much you are really eating? I also have to make the committment to get back to the gym (which I have been paying my monthly dues for the last 4 yrs). I walk 5 days a week but I really want to get back to being a runner.

Thanks

Kay

• Hi, Kay! Congratulations on accepting the BFL  challenge and committing to your health!

Personally, I've used several weight loss programs, and had success to some degree with most. Until the weight came back! The best learning experience on a weight loss program I ever had was last year on a popular low-calorie meal replacement program.I learned a great deal about eating several small meals a day and nutrition in general. I lost my last 50 pounds in 5 months, after taking 5 years to lose the first 50 pounds. However, as soon as I began eating a normal amount of healthy, clean food (1200-1500 calories a day, as opposed to the 850 or so I was eating on that program), I began gaining weight pretty quickly. I decided I didn't want to stay on a diet for the rest of my life, and I wanted to get strong, too. So now I'm building muscle to stock my arsenal with metabolically active tissue. Yes, it weighs more, but it's working for me and burning my fat. I try not to rely on the scale at all as a measure of my success. I didn't weigh myself at all in C1 and won't in C2. Some people weigh daily. It's a personal decision. But the scale moves very slowly, and sometimes even moves the wrong way, when you're strength training.

So long as you stay with the original authorized food list, you don't need to count calories. However, I've tracked mine and I usually end up with between 1500 and 1700 calories.

Lots of people on these boards run. I've always wanted to love it but I'm not there yet. For my cardio in C1, I used the Arc Trainer at my YMCA. I will likely mix it up a little in C2 and i hope to say I did some running at the end of C2.

Glad to have you on board with us and I'm looking forward to cheering each other on!

• Has anyone ever been to the www.realage.com website? It is really cool. You are asked a bunch of questions about your physical condition, meds, life style, exercise, family med history, etc. The site then calculates your real physical age. When I started C1 I was chronologically 59 years old. According to realage.com my real age was 55.6.  I was pleased with that but felt it could be better. After finishing C1  I went back through the real age questions. My chronological age is now 60, but my real physical age is 53.4!! I can’t wait to see the results after C2!!

Honk!! Honk!!

• I've done my Real Age, but not in quite some time. When I was 42, I remember it saying my real age was something like 59. Of course, I was 250 pounds, and a 2-pack a day smoker who ate poorly and got little to no exercise. Then, I did it again when I was almost at my lowest weight last year and my real age was LOWER than my actual age by several years. I'm going to take it again and see what it says!

• UPDATE!!! My RealAge is 42.8! I'll be 47 on Christmas Eve!