Starting November 22nd... Are You Ready?

• Welcome to mari and mama4fitness!

mama4fitness, you have already received great advice from these great people! I highly recommend that you keep the HIIT cardio as the 20 mins. This can really get your metabolism going for longer in the day. Also if you are really hitting your 10, you should not want to do much more because you should be spent by then. I know I am most days. What I have done in past is maybe add abs to cardio day but that is about all. AR is active rest. It is recommended to take 2 weeks after the 12 weeks of no weight training and some more light cardio or activities. That really helps your body recover from intense 2 weeks. During those 2 weeks (some of us have only taken one) you will still eat clean and plan for the next weeks whether another challenge or maintenance stage. I have completed 2 challenges since June and now moving into more of a toning and muscle building stage.

Mari, dont worry too much about not finishing the 1st one. This is a new one and we will be here to help you finish since its such a great goal to accomplish that boosts confidence! You can do this.

Looking forward to sharing the journey!

• Thank you so much 2conquer!!  

• HI EVERYONE!

Im new here and just wanted to say that I am GAME for starting on the 22nd with you guys! I would like to lose at least 30 pounds and get really really toned...especially for next summer. Are there any tips, pointers...ANYTHING ..having to do with eating, food, working out or even your daily routine with making sure you record your daily foods and work outs that might be helpful for me? Also, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much..I cant wait to start and see my results at the end of the 12 weeks!

• Thank you for the welcome.  I'm in and I'm looking forward to really getting focused for 12 weeks.  Yesterday I went to buy the Body for Life book - the original - and I couldn't believe how expensive it was.   $40 in my Chapters.  So I bought Body for Life for Women.  I'm impressed by this site and how many free resources there are plus of course the amazing people to advise and support on these forums.

I have a lot to lose but in the next twelve weeks I'd like to lose 25 pounds.  I know that will be a challenge considering that it falls over Christmas but I think it's doable.

I have a strength training workout I've been using that is a five way split set up by my trainer.  This morning at the gym I decided to try using the BFL format for the muscle group I was training (hams and calves).  Even though I thought I was starting too light, OMG I was sore after!  I will have to rework my schedule because right now I do, like I said, a five way split with weight training and cardio every day.  I also need to get a watch or a timer.  Actually I found this site through the gymboss website because I wanted to get a timer to use for my intervals anyway.  

Looking forward to the next 12 weeks!

• Butterflytatts, WELCOME!! Wow, I could write a book on tips but I guess the book is already written. I can share with you what has helped me the most:

1- PLANNING IT ALL. I am one that works best with a routine and a purpose. For the 2 challenges I completed recently, I bought the BFL Journal (you can find it on Amazon or bookstores). This was key for me. I planned everyday out (including food) and could see what I have followed and what had not worked so I can adjust as I went along. I took measurements and kept up with what I was maybe not seeing yet but feeling. This doesn't have to take long to do. A few minutes a day is all I spend on it.

2- Have a specific goal. For example, the pants you want to be wearing by the end of a challenge, lbs you want to loose, or Fat% you want to achieve, or not miss a workout in 12 weeks. Something that can be measured but realistic.

3- Prepare food on weekends- I prepare my food Sundays for the week. I do chicken on the slow cooker so I can have plenty for the whole week. That way if one day I come in and there is nothing in the house, I can always have my chicken. I take it for lunch to work too.

4- Maintain focus, on your goal that is. But if you falter one day or one meal, move on. Dont let it ruin 2 days or a week. This is how people quit early.

These are thinks I have learned and have worked for me. I am sure you will receive many other suggestions from our Group Warriors.

• How exciting to see all these posts.  

Mama4fitness:  You should know by now, since you have already done BFL that it works if done the way it is laid out.  It is so easy to want to tweak the system, but there is really no need to at all!  If you do cardio and weights on the same day, you will not give one of them your best effort, plus your muscles won't have the adequete time to repair before your next lifting session.  On cardio days, I would do my 20 minutes of HIIT, and then I'd usually drop the speed on the treadmill to 3.5/3.8 and walk for 10 minutes to bring down my heartrate.  I also did abs on Tues, Thurs & Sat after my cardio.  I didn't feel that once or twice a week on LBWO days was enough..since that is an area I really needed to work on.  If you give your workouts the full out effort, you won't want to do more than what is recommended....plus you really don't want to get burnt out.  It looks as if you had tremendous success the last time you did BFL...you can do it again!  

Butterfly:  Welcome aboard.  I would highly suggest you get the BFL journal; it is beautifully laid out for you and helps you plan and prepare every day. There are motivational stories on every page, and you do your mindset exercises, as well as exercise and meal planning every day.  I always planned my meals ahead of time, went shopping on Sundays and prepped food for the week.  Also have your workouts ready to take to the gym with you and your gym clothes laid out and ready.  The best advice is to read the original BFL book from cover to cover and refer back to it often.  If you do the plan as laid out, there is no way you won't succeed.

secretmini:  Go to Amazon and buy the book or half.com...it is far better than the one for women, and you can get it for a fraction of the cost.  Maybe you can return the other one.  It is so much better written and laid out.  I was like you..working out with weights and cardio every day and was hesitant to follow the BFL exercise plan as written.  I am so glad I did.  I was able to do cardio harder than ever and lift weights heavier than ever since I did them on alternating days.  I was maintaining but not burning that extra fat I wanted to get rid of.  Also remember to change up your workouts every 3-4 weeks to keep those muscles guessing and challenged.

2Conquer:  I am hurting today!!!

Welcome to all of you and best of luck on your journey to a better you!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Mari:  Welcome.  I know you will finish this challenge.  You won't quit early this time.  The last month is when all the magic happens.  Stay strong and you will get there and feel so proud when you do.  We are all here for you .  Best of luck.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I am re-reading chapter 5 "The Eating-for-Life Method" of the BFL book in preparation for begining C2 on Monday. All I can say is that it is amazing at what can be missed with just one reading! I am learning so much more the 2nd time. I think I'll re-read the entire book.

• Grandpa Hiker, I was just saying the same thing on another thread. I need to consult "the book" more in C2. Just going through the exercises listed made me realize how much more sense it makes after you've lived in the program for 12 weeks.

There's a girl out there warming up with your max.

• thanks BDMom, that's a great idea.  I will look on amazon.  

This morning I went to the gym for 5:30 in the middle of a minor snowstorm and sat there for 20 minutes before I gave up and went home.  No one showed up to open up and the parking lot was full of cars with people just sitting there waiting.  On top of that my trainer can't make it to our usual session tomorrow so I think I will do cardio today - after work - and then tomorrow do my upper body workout as per BFL.  See how that goes.

I really have a lot of fat to remove, especially around my middle so whatever has been proven to work most effectively is what I want to do.  

I think I will try to take some pics this weekend.  I'll have to be careful then not to get into a depressed binge after that.  LOL

• Grandpa Hiker, So very true about missing info on the book and its a great idea to reread it. I will do the same.

secretminime, Aweful that noone opened the gym. Have fun later on cardio.

Everyone else, have an awesome day!

• Everyone here is so helpful.  Thank you for taking the time to be so helpful.

Thank you BDMom!!  You are so right!  All I need to do is follow it to a T and I know I'll get absolutely AMAZING results...even better than the first time around...since I actually only got to the gym an average of 3-5 days during that challenge and my 1 cheat day a week turned into 2-3 cheat days a week.  I can't believe I still got results when not following it exactly.  So this time I am going to follow it exactly and I can't wait to compare my before and after pics!!  

I've continued the workouts pretty much since 2007, but tried different workouts inbetween here and there.  I always go back to the BFL workouts and I've always seen amazing results with it!

It's funny because my hubby is very big and muscular.  He recently became a certified personal trainer.  Well, about a year ago he wanted to workout with me so he did my BFL workout (which he had never tried before).  IT KICKED HIS BUTT!!!  He couldn't believe it!  He's used of doing less sets and reps and much higher weight.  He's impressed with what I'm able to do.

I am going to search for this journal that you all are talking about.  I love journaling my workouts and food.  What I did for my first challenge was...

1) I copied the "Your 12-Week Training-for-LIFE Schedule" and highlighted each day as I completed it.  I loved doing this because I could visually see my progress on paper of what I was completing.

2) I copied all the papers for the "Daily Progress Report" and filled it out for each workout I did.  On each page I was able to document my workouts and my mood for each day.

3)  I used a 3-hole punch on all the pages, put the "Schedule" on top, and put them into a folder.

4)  To track what I ate I used a notebook, wrote the date, my weight, my goal weight, and how many glasses of water I drank in the top right hand corner of the page.  I wrote my meals on the page and what time I ate.

All of these things I did are what kept me on track.  I'm on the run alot since one of my children has to see several Dr.'s...so I keep protein bars on hand.

• Whew! Happy Friday, everybody! I'm getting all kinds of jazzed about Monday!

Mama4fitness, it sounds like we're spending our Friday in very similar mindsets! I took some time today and printed the meal schedule and training schedule. I collated them, copied them double sided and 3-hole punched them and made my own journal in a binder. I bought the journal for C1, and it was great! I just don't have the $25 to spend this time. Now I am spending time on another site (feels like cheating) where I can create meals and see the nutrient ratios as I go, so I can balance my ingredients for some BFL-friendly meals. I am planning to go totally by the book for C2. Of course, I thought I was by-the-book for C1, but hindsight is 20/20, I guess. I feel a little more clarity and understanding, having done it once already. That's a good feeling.

It's so weird, but I've been in a funk for this whole second week of AR. Yesterday I noticed a little bit of a positive change in the mirror... Weird thing, but I looked a little less soft and puffy. That gave me the shot in the arm that I needed to start snapping out of it and to begin setting my sights on Monday.

It's another Kids' Night Out at our YMCA tomorrow, so it's date night for hubby and me. We're usually able to make some healthy choices at the restaurant we love, and I plan for tomorrow to be no exception. I may have a glass of wine to toast C2, but that will be the extent of it. I'll already have a pretty high water table.

I noticed something that deserves to be mentioned, since we will likely have at least a handful of new people in our group. The BFL-authorized food list mentions Kashi as a complex carbohydrate and i think it's VERY important to point out that this isn't the cereal called Kashi. Kashi is whole grain buckwheat (or buckwheat groats). The cereal (the regular kind) isn't really a BFL-friendly choice. In one cup ofthe regular GoLean, you will find 30g of carbs and that's before you even add any milk.

There's a girl out there warming up with your max.

• I found you!  I found you!  **happy dance**  I just caught up on all of your posts.  I'm starting to feel like a fish out of water.  Monday, get here quick!

Welcome to all you newbies.  You're gonna love it here!

• Thought I'd check in on you all.  Sounds like everyone is gearing up for Monday...Yay for you all!  2conquer and I are almost through our first week of brutal workouts...ha.  They are intense, but feel great.  My eating is getting better.  I've had a few setbacks, but I am doing well now.  I've maintained pretty well.  Challenge 1 ending weight was 109#; today I am at 111#.

Remember my friends, do your best with this challenge, especially those of you going into a second challenge.  There are going to be many temptations out there, but you are all stronger than those temptations....and if you look at all that sugar and fat and feel like you are missing out on something, remind yourself that you ARE.  You are missing out on being fat, having high cholesterol and high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer...should I go on?  Plus, you want to be able to fit into those "goal" clothes after the holidays.

Remember the analogy..the first challenge is like a new relationship (fun & exciting).  Challene 2 is more like a marriage (takes more dedication and commitment).  You can all do this.  I will be your cheerleader along the way, and will be joining up with you the end of December.

Go team!