Starting October 25 -- anyone want to join?

• Welcome to all the new posters!  We have a nice group of people along for this challenge!  

I want to take a minute to echo what fit4life said, but to put my own spin on it.  A few people have posted that they want to lose 30 pounds, and I think that's a great goal.  I don't think there's anything wrong with having that as a goal or a target.  But I want people to remember that we're in a marathon here, not a sprint, and we are literally on our first few steps of that marathon.  For those of us who have a good amount of weight to lose (personally I'd like to lose 20 pounds, and that's a good amount IMO), just remember that the weight will not drop off instantly.  If we view it as a 12 week challenge, if you lose 1.5 pounds per week that will be 18 pounds at the end of the challenge.  2 pounds per week is 24 pounds.  These are reasonable goals.  2.5 pounds per week is 30 pounds -- not impossible, but not necessarily a sure thing.

The big lesson I learned from the first challenge is that the mental part of it is just as important (and probably more important) than the physical part of it.  So I hope everyone just keeps that in mind, and maintains focus on the long-term goal.  If we all lose a pound a week we will be VERY successful.  Keep your goals realistic, and just remember that 12 weeks is a good amount of time.  But also remember that it's not the end of things.  The program is called Body for LIFE, not body for 12 weeks.  If it takes longer than 12 weeks to get to our goals, that's ok too.

My other big piece of advice (for now -- I'm sure I'll have more later) is to keep the focus on the long term goal, and don't beat yourself up for little blips of imperfection.  We're all going to have days that are less than perfect.  the big thing to remember is not to let a little bit of imperfection (i.e. eating something off the meal plan) turn into an excuse to go completely off the plan and get derailed for a long time.  Focus on each day, and just try to do your best on that day.  If you have mis-steps, forgive yourself and focus on being better the next day.

I hope no one minds my advice.  The truth is I offer it just as much for myself as for everyone else.  Today was day 1, and I had a less than perfect day as far as my eating goes -- wayyyyy too big portions, ate more than I should.  But I'm going to focus on the fact that I still ate better than I otherwise would have, and that I had a great workout, and tomorrow I'll try to do even better on the food aspect.

I lied -- one more piece of advice.  write things down!  Keep a log and hold yourself accountable with it.  During my first challenge I used this:   www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

And I loved it.  Easy sheets for the meal plan and exercises each day, and each day there is a different success story and a motivational blurb from Bill Phillips.    I loved the Success Journal, and I'm sad I don't have one for this challenge.  But regardless of what you use, keep a written record of your progress.  Oh, and TAKE BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS.  Even though I lost 22 lbs in my first challenge, towards the end I really didn't feel different, and didn't feel like I had changed.  It was only when I looked at my before/after pics that I could SEE what a big difference it was, and see the product of my hard work.  Taking those before pics is no fun, but they help you see your progress, and they are totally worthwhile at the end.

Ok, that's all for me for now.  Congrats to all of us on finishing Day 1.  Great job!  We did the hardest part -- we started.  Making the decision to change is the hardest part.  Now we're on the path, all we have to do is stay on it and keep moving!

• Anyone have an idea of a good protein to have with oatmeal? I'm doing my meal plan for tomorrow and right now I have turkey sausage, though I'm not sure its "approved"... any thoughts?  Typically I'd do peanut or almond butter in oatmean for a protein, but I'm not sure about the fat content...  suggestions would be appreciated! =)

• Hello there, I just started today, and I'm excited, but i know I'm going to need support.  Congrats for you.

• I'm with you guys for the 25th.  Let's keep in contact and motivate each other.

• Had a great day yesterday. Really good workout. Got to the gym for 6.30 and it was all lit up, doors open, but no-one to give my money to! As I was short on time - had to get to work - I figured I'd start working out and when someone turned up, join then...only no-one did! Wonder if anyone would notice if I turned up at that time every morning and worked out for free ; )

Working out at home this morning on my bike before starting my late shift, so will go to the gym tomorrow afternoon and pay them!

Steve - thanks for your words of wisdom. You are so right about focusing on the long-term. That's always been my dowfall in the past. I slip up, am disappointed with myself, think 'Oh, well, I've blown it now' and that's it. Now, I'm going to finish the 12 weeks despite the inevitable slip-ups. If I feel like I've blown it and want to give up, I'll come on here and moan to you guys, and you can give me a kick up the backside, so to speak! And I'll do the same for anyone else who wants a stern talking to!

EngineerAshley, protein powder is great stirred into oatmeal. I like hemp powder myself, but  have heard a lot of good things about Sunwarrior rice protein powder (really good, natural stuff).

Kate

• swagner2 - you are just over an hour away from me!  I am trying to lose 30 lbs. as well !  Good luck to all of us.

• iamsteve - I love your posts and advice!!  

Overall - I am hoping to lose 30 lbs., but that is "total" not all with this challenge.  With this challenge I would love to see a 15 - 18 pound loss.  I would be thrilled!

My day yesterday went pretty well.  Still trying to figure out my meal plan, but I think I did okay.  I wrote up my workout plan - but once I got into it I realized I didn't really have the right combination of dumbbells at home - so I think I need to go to the gym.  My work out was okay, but I did not push myself nearly as hard as I could have.  This morning though, my body can tell I did something, so that's a plus.

Here's to a successful day for all of us!  Looking forward to hear about everyone's progress.

• 1st day was great! I think if I say the word diet I get hungry so that is a challenge not to be consumed by thinking about food. How often should I weigh in? My wife decided to join me-that should help with planning and support.

• Finishing up Day 2!  I had a great aerobic workout, really pushed myself on the elliptical.  Ate well, maybe a little too much at dinner, but I kept to my plan all day.  

All the posts about realistic weight loss hit home with me.  The book "Champions for Life" mentions that weight loss can seem non-existent during the first six, eight, even ten weeks.  Basically we're replacing fat with muscle.  You need to lose a lot of fat before the added weight of the muscle is less than where you started from.  I recall feeling better, and my clothes fit better, but I didn't really see pounds come off until weeks 8 and 9.  I didn't finish well for a variety of reasons, but in the end I lost 11 pounds and have essentially kept them off for the past three months.  Patience is what I remind myself of every day.  It just takes time to see the difference, and I have committed to the long term.  Thanks for your email Steve; it was a great reminder of that.  

I wanted to share a website that I found a while back:  www.hussmanfitness.org/index.html

He's an enthusiastic supporter of Bill and Body for Life, and his website explains a lot of the science (generally) behind the BFL technique (specifically).  For me, I like the detail.  

I hope everyone is having a great Day 2.  

Amy

• Steve- I think you give some great advice, for me, i know that it is going to be hard to lose 30lbs in 12 weeks. That is my ultimate goal, and eventually that is what i would like to do. This is just a starting point for me. i have always gone to the gym, but never really had a plan. Now, i am hoping that with eating well on a regular basis, and exercising with a purpose that i will see some results.

Last time i did BFl, i did it with someone, and i find that motivation kept me going. I am hoping that the support from this group will keep me going too!

Went to the gym this morning and had a good UB workout. I found that towards the end of the workout i really had to push myself to finish it. I like cardio days better. I made protein pancakes last night, my favorite breakfast!  I love them. So going to bed last night, i had something to look forward to this morning!  :)

Here is my question:  Is there a certain time in which you stop eating? And if you hit this time and still have not had the 6th meal, do you just skip the meal, or do you still have it late?  Thoughts?

Happy day 2!   :)

• Hello everyone. This is my second challenge. I found it hard to start again, but I am back in it now.  I had a great workout yesterday.  I am fining it hard to get in all my meals and go to the gym.  I am using the bars because I am a teacher and I can eat those without any problems while I am teaching.  I was very dedicated my first challenge and lost 20 pounds. I am hoping to have the same results this time around.  Best of luck to everyone!!

• Hi IAmSteve,

We have EAS/Myoplex distributors in Trinidad and Guatemala, if that would help. Let us know if you'd like the contact information.

Best,

The BFL Team

• Iamsteve......great post....well said!!

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"

• EngineerAshley......From a veteran BFLer......stay away from peanut/almond butter. Save that for your free day. It contains too many calories. I mix vanilla protein powder with my oatmeal in morning for a healthy breakfast. Hope this helps.

• Big Hurt.....How often should you weigh in? Great question. The problem with "scale weight" is that a scale cannot tell the difference between fat and muscle. So....if you are losing fat and gaining muscle the scale will not move. If you are a "scale watcher"...how depressing! When I did my last challenge starting in March of this year I weighed myself on day 1 and  made a vow to myself not to step on a scale until day 84. I had no idea what my weight was during my challenge but I let my pants and belts be my measuring stick. "PANTS AND BELTS TELL THE TRUTH" If I could give one piece of advice for newbies to BFL that would be it. All the best to everyone!!