A Nervous Newbie

• I am about half way through reading the Body for Life book.  I am already convinced this is what I need to do!  I started at 198 lbs and am currently  at 163.  I have been plataued for the past 8 months.  My doctor tells me that my body is accostomed to the activity I currently do (running 20+ miles per week).  He suggested I shake up my work outs.  A friend referred me to the Body for Life program and I am ready to commit to the challenge.  My biggest fear right now is taking my before pictures. I am not afraid of the eating plan...I know I can eat healthy.  I am not afraid of the workout plan...I can do anything for 45 minutes a day.   I am afraid of the reality of my body's condition.  I would love to hear some of your thoughts on how to face my fear of my before pictures.

• Betty: You are just afraid to see yourself as you THINK others see you. It is important to take that first picture and to also take a whack of measurements. If you are that afraid - take the darn picture and put it in a place you cant see it for at least 4 weeks. I have NO DOUBT you will get results with BFL if you follow it by the book and when you take your final pic after 12 weeks, BELIEVE me when I say, you will be PROUD to post that before picture along side the new and improved Betty!

Without facing your fear, there will be no change.

Name that fear, and kick it to the curb!!

• Focus on what you've already accomplished. We're all more critical of ourselves than others are. Besides, how will you see how much progress you've made if you don't have the befores? They won't matter once you have great after photos!

• For me...knowing it's temporary and that it will be different in 12 weeks.. :-)  I agree with what has already been said as well.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• As painful as those before pictures can be, they are IMO the critical first step on the journey. Before you can commit and make the changes needed to reach your future goals  you need to face head on the past and the present.

As much as I shuddered and looked in almost disbelief at my before pics, those pictures pulled me through some tough times. Times where I didn't feel like going to the gym, or eating yet another Chicken ***.

Now 10 weeks in,  those pictures provide a whole different purpose. Instead of a source of motivation, I can look at the progression and my happiness and pride that I have stuck with it gets me to the gym and helps me to eat clean.

• The best part about those "before" pictures are what you go through on your journey to the "afters".

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Betty-I just got sick and tired of the way I looked and just finally put it out there! Just do it! I keep my before pic on my profile to remind myself of how far I've come and as reminder of where I NEVER want to be again!!

You have accomplished a lot in the last 8 months and it will only get better from here! BFL is the way to go!! =) Best wishes for your success!!

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Thanks everyone!!  I think I just needed some reassurance.  :0)  I called this morning and scheduled an appointment with a personal trainer to take my measurements and teach me how to do the strength training.  That is my area of weakness and I have NO idea what I am doing.  I will take my before pictures this weekend.  Holy moly...makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it!!

• Betty, my daughter and I are starting DebbieMO's Christmas challenge Monday. There is a thread here for it if you'd care to join the group for support.

I'll be doing the same as you this weekend, taking before pics and recording measurements. I don't think I even have a two-piece swimsuit anymore, so it may be gym shorts and a sports bra.

I have been lifting weights for about ten years, and it is my favorite part of a workout. I tend to favor it and neglect cardio. I am looking forward to BFL shaking up my routine, because I know I need it. I'm glad that you have consulted a trainer because form is important.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Saralynn - I would love to join your group!!  I think I joined the right thread.  Please let me know if I didn't.  I will definetly need folks on here to help keep me motivated!  Sounds like we are each other's opposite.  :0p  I can run all day long...ask me to do a push up and I am in trouble!!  I don't have a 2 piece suit either.  Mine will be in shorts and a sports bra.  

I will be going this weekend to get my first week of healthy food items and planning my meals for the week.  I am excited about that part.  I am a planner...I thrive on knowing what lies ahead.  I think that is part of what appeals to me with this program.  I need a clear defined goal and action plan in sight.  

I am hoping my local GNC store has the Myoplex and EAS products in stock so that I don't have to wait on them to arrive through the mail.  I looked online and they were available through GNC, hoping they have some on the store shelf.

• GNC is Waaaaay overpriced...go to allstarhealth.com to order your stuff or bodybuilding.com. I usually get my stuff within 3 days...better than paying like 300% markup (sorry to any GNC employees!)

Glad you are with our group!! =) WooHoo!! too bad we can't photoshop your head into our pic on Sunday! I guess we could, but I'm a little out of time and talent these days!!

Great with the planning, write everything down too so you can look back!! Can't ready to get going with these people!!

• My daughter took my before pictures which are still on the camera and I'm not even going to look at them until I finish. I am currently starting week 5 and have photos of week 4 on the camera now too.

I am not in the comp. as it isn't open worldwide so I didn't strip down to bikini, I was just wearing singlet and 3/4 track pants...good enough for my records :-)

• Ok, today I have a new anxiety.  I have been working diligently to train for a full marathon in January. I read the chapter on the 20 minute aerboic workout.  Am I going to have to cut out my distance running????  I don't want to lose all the ground I have worked to hard to build.  Thoughts???

• Can I possibly do my 20 minute workout in the morning and run in the evening???  I REALLYwant to do BFL right, but I LOVE my distance running!!

• Kendra, The HIIT is used to burn fat; what are your goals for this challenge? If you don't want to get burned out and lose energy, in order to stay with the challenge, then I would stick with the HIIT and do your distance running on your free day and possibly one other day like an UBWO day.

It really depends on your goals...

I just started running 5k's in May and the only training I do is the HIIT and Tabata Sprints...I know a marathon is much more, but it's how much you want to complete this challenge...imo...