Guts and Butts Crew

• GOOOOOODDDD MMMOOORRRRNNNIIINNNGGGGGG GUTTTTTSSSSSS AND BUTTTTSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok that was about all the energy I can muster at this time! its so good to see everyone back on!

Lets all have a great day!!!! keep fighting the good healthy fight!

Lonna

• Paper Towel Theory by Bob White

Let's assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with only 84 paper towels on it (one for each day of the challenge). You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your before/ picture).

The other one represents you (I'll call your paper towel you "Ed"). The core represents the lean Ed. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean Ed. For sake of argument, let's say that Ed wants to lose 21 pounds of fat, so (84/21) each sheet represents a quarter-pound of fat lost. Let's also assume that Ed loses his fat equally during each day of the challenge.

Each day during the first week, you tear a sheet off of Ed, representing the fat he has lost for the day. Next, you put Ed next to the full roll ("Big Al") for comparison. No noticeable difference!!! Even at the end of the week! This can't be working for me!

But, being a good Ed, you continue to follow Body-for-LIFE. At the end of weeks two and three, you continue to compare Ed to Big Al, and still notice very little difference. That stinkin' Bill Phillips MUST be a liar!

But Ed is determined! He works hard! Three more weeks go by, the sheets peeling off day after day, before Ed gets up the courage to stand next to Big Al again. Holy Myoplex! Ed is skinny! OK, not skinny, but less huge!!!

By the end of the 12-week Body-for-LIFE program, Ed is down to his lean dream, or somewhere near it. Ed is happy. We are happy. Big Al - well he's not so happy.

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around,that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same - your perception is just different! And you'll never see the inside, if you aren't patient while the outside is coming off!

I found this reading other post while on break - Thought it was pretty interesting -

Hope everyone is having a great day - Sharon

• LOVE it Sharon!

thanks for sharing!

Lonna

• Hey Guy - I'm so glad we have a few more back in our crew! Other than Lonna week 3 seemed to get to us all a little bit so I'm glad we're all here and we'll have a killer week 4 :)

Lonna - thanks for the pick-me-up!  I had a really good day today and yesterday so thanks for the positivity lol. congrats on your success this week - it's a really good thing someone had a GREAT week last week cause it will/has inspired the rest of us (at least me anyway).  And when you get the chance, post the recipe for the soup - it might be nice to have something I could keep a small amount of in the fridge and whip out when i'm too tired to cook! and PS I don't have anyone that I am responsible for so my crazy life is easier than if I had a hubby, boyfriend, kids, etc (although I have to say my immediate family is a little more demanding than normal peoples, but not like a significant other or kids!)

Sharon - cool story.  I think i'm gonna go get 2 rolls of paper towels and calculate out how much weight each sheet is so I can visually see what I'm doing (and use them as napkins) each week and how I'm progressing even if I don't see it in the mirror - I'm a VERY visual person so this was really great!

Michelle - Nawlins? lol I don't know how anyone would stay on track there - I mean, come on, great food, great drinks, and a casual laid back atmosphere!  Now you're back and on track and kudos to you for not quitting!

Sherry - Great that your here on this thread!  I was a little worried people wouldn't switch over but I think the movement is on the way and we'll be back to normal soon!

Alright going to try and catch a few zzzz's before I head off to work :)

bananas (cause yes, i'm crazy)

• Hi everyone!  I am still here, just been really busy.  Plus, we have web content filtering at work and this website is blocked, so I have to try and catch up on my blackberry or at home, and it doesn't go so well!

Anyone, I had a rough Week 3, but am trying to get back on track with Week 4.  Our little town has a fair, the Albion Area Fair.  It is a pretty big fair for such a little town and it was pretty hard to resist the fair food!  But I did good until Friday (it started on Tuesday)!  And then we had a slo-pitch softball tournament all weekend, and had to get home Sunday night and get my 3-yr old and 1-yr old's laundry done for the last 2 weeks!  Busy busy!  

But, I think I updated the spreadsheet.  I may have missed some posts about the spreadsheet.  Is there more than 1?

Well, if I don't post much, I'm still here. Just wanted to touch base!  

• Ok for all who likes  Chicken and Barley soup this is a :clean meal"

134 calories 3g total fat

0.5g total carbs

3g fiber

11 g protein

200mg  sodium

24mg

cholestrol

2 medium sized boneless skinless chicken breasts

2 Tbsp extr virgin olive oil

2 cloves garlic finley chopped

1 small onion chopped fine

1 large potatoe peeled and cubed

1 large carrot peeled and chopped into small coins

3 stalks of celery chopped into small slices

1 large tomatoe chopped into small pieces

1 tsp dried thyme

1tsp celery seed

1/2 pearley barley

2quart low sodium organic chicken stock

1/2 tsp sea salt1/2 tsp freash ground pepper

1. place barley in bowl with just enought water to cover it

2. heat olive oil on med. in 8 quart stockpot

3.add the chopped poion and garlic to the oilve oil cooking for 5 minutes

4.add the chicken to stockpot along with salt and pepper and brown for 5 min

5.add chicken stock veggies and spices to pot

6. drain the water from the barley and add barley to soup.

7. let soup boil for 30 mins on medium heat.. and serve.

I really like this soup.. I swear it made me feel better!!!!

I hope everyone likes it!!!!!

Meridith I am happy you are back!!!! a lot of people had a hard week 3, but you are doing the right thing just jump back into it and act like you never stopped!!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!

I hope everyone has a great night!!!

I hope we all have dreams of smaller GUTTS AND BUTTS!!!!!!

Lonna

• Good morning everyone!  Getting ready for work so don't have time to respond to all messages but all I can say is you all are AWESOME!!!!  Thank you for your posts and the motivational things you say/write.  It really helps.  I have had a great week so far and thanks for helping me to get motivated again.  Just finished my workout and feeling great!

I wanted to see if anyone was going to take pictures at the end of week 4.  I am debating but wouldn't mind seeing if there is a difference.

Hope everyone has a great day!  I will write more later.

Mel

• 4 week pics huh??? ohhhh I am so not sure about that one! LOL

I will have to think on that one!

great idea though!

Lonna

• Mel - I'm def gonna be taking pics at the end of week 4!  Its really important to imitate the originals (lighting, distance from the cam, position, sucking in/pushing out, etc) but I think if it's done right it can show progress you don't really see on a daily basis.

Lonna - thanks for the soup recipe!  I will probably try to make it at some point - I'll have to let you know how it goes :) And you should def think about 4 week photos.  If you truley believe it will not be motivating for you then don't, but I think you might be surprised by the fact that you can see some of the 'paper towels' coming off!

Meredith -  Good to know about you being in and out of the thread, we'll still be cheering you on for whenever you log on, that way you will get a big pick me up when you are able to! WOW fair food is yummy - congrats on getting through that week!!! oh and yes there are 2 spreadsheets: 1 marks workout progress and the other our stats...they should both be on page 1 or 2 of this thread posted by me (I didn't make them, just the link, zack and michelle did I believe)

I just had a good arm work out. it was really good actually! I'm glad that today is wednesday, I'm working for a strong week - so good luck guys!!!

Bananas

• Hey everyone - what a week. I switched up my WO's this week and I couldn't believe how much the difference made. I really felt weak. Couldn't do what I expected myself to be able to. I guess that's normal but I really had to fight with my mind. Almost frustrated me in thinking I wasn't doing good. Really Strange feeling after feeling good about what I have been accomplishing so far. Then I couldn't get on the site for a few days - which like totally sucked - WOW Valley talk. lol

Any ways, How's everyone doing? Has anyone actually sat down and counted their calories intake. Just curious. I have a problem with not eating enough sometimes and so yesterday I put all my food in dailyburn.com and it said 1100 then did the same with myfitnesspal.com and it said 1334. Just wondering if anyone knows theirs and what it is.

Hope everyone has a great weekend - My is very busy - Puppies go home Sunday.

LBWO today - looking forward to it. Hope I do better than Monday's

Sharon

• Hi G B Crew,

Sharon:   "What A week" is right. Haven't done anything all week (so far) workout/family room  is a DISASTER area from putting in new drop ceiling, and it has just discombobulated my whole being.  My whole house is in an uproar. (i have adult a d d - and instant change takes awhile to reorganize (LOL). But my attitude is good, and the down time  helped me to concentrate on my eating clean.

I track my food intake on sparkpeople.com and most food I track are the ones that I imput myself, so I know the accuracy is better.

Sounds like puppies are healthy, thats good.

Have a great week end bfl'ers

Melissa

• Hello all!  Just finished my day 26 LBWO.  Feeling good!  My workouts are still going strong.  I took my free day for eating on Wednesday even though I worked out that morning because I took my son to Marineland that day with some friends of ours.  I packed food and did well for the first part of the day, but then I decided we'd stay and have dinner with our friends, who were staying overnight, before heading back.  So basically I had one non-BFL friendly meal.  That means on Sunday I will still take my rest day but I plan to follow the BFL meal plan.  That will make for a pretty long stretch to my next free day...I'll have to be strong!

I hope you're all still doing great and forging ahead!  

Sherry

• Thank GOd and Finally!!!!!!! Helloooooo Gutts and Butts!!!

I thought I was gonna lose my mind not being able to get on here. I Misseed you guys!!!!!!!!!!!

Banana- Way to go and keep up the good work!!!

Sharon, I have not yet counted my calories..kinda scared to... I guess I really should.. I will try to get on that site and see where I end up. It's a good thing to do! I need to. Thanks for the ideas! I am going to try to switch up my work out too and I know its gonna be hard. And I am sorry the puppies are going home but it sounds like it is going to make your life easier!

Melissa, I am so sorry you are having a rough week, It does sound like your life is in an uproar, I hope that the ceiling goes on fast so you can get back to your usual life stuff!  I also think it is a full moon!

I am sure you will jump right back in and get it together!!! You CAN do it!!!

Sherry   Way to go!!!! Sounds like you are doing great!!!!! Way to go with the planning! You can do it keep up with the good positive attitude!!!

Well I am having a tougher week but its ok, I feel like my right leg is out of place making it slightly uncomfortable to walk but it gets better then starts up again.. I have still done my cardio and weights..done pretty good eating but just not as myuch umph this week as I had last week.

Mel, I took my week 4 pics but I just have not had the courage to look at them yet.LOL!!!

well I gotta go clean aroun the house.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!!!!

Lonna

Life is a grindstone either you let it grind you down or polish you up is entirely up to you.  My mom has always said this.. sometimes it really drives me crazy other times I see the truth and beauty in it.

• Hey B&G's!  

Lonna - be careful with that leg! you don't want to have an injury that sets you back! I understand about the 'umph' - BFL was about all I accomplished this week...it took all of my energy to get my meals and workouts in.  

I weigh in tomorrow and I was really excited about it 2 days ago but now I'm kinda nervous...what am I gonna do if I STILL don't see any results??? Hopefully I will and won't have to deal with 'turning that into a positive'. Sigh.  

Anyway - great job this week everyone, lets hit it hard next week!!!!

Bananas

• Hi Butts and Gutts!

Well I have been honest with everyone so far soo.... today is my freebie day and wow have i had a bad for me food day. But on the good side I have walked and run allllll day. I did my weigh in this morning and I am now offically down 10 lbs!!! yeah!!!! I am also down quite a few inches!  

I cannot wait to get back to my clean eating.. I sure feel better when I do. but I think it is important to have these day s to show you how you seel and to let you taste  chocolate and cheeseburgers again!!!

I swear those are the only things I really miss.

Bananas.. I just love the name!!! my leg is really sore today better than it was tho so I am going to spend some time in the Hot tub tonight. I found out why I have been so tired this week. Apparently I have been having like nightmares and getting up and doing things in my sleep.. or as my husband calls it just having a loud chat session with myself.LOL sounds like me...hee hee

Banana have you measured yourself?? That has shown me more results than weighing. I am sure you have taking of inches and toning up! I am hoping for you that you have a wonderful weigh in. Youare so positive and upbeat I am sure you will do well!!!

I am ready for a new great Gutt and butt kicking week!!

Have a great night all!

Lonna