DebbieMO's "Step it Up for Spring" Group

• DebMO,

You got that right!  I did not realize this until we started talking about it at the the meeting Tuesday.    Well, I am making changes to my diet and I am adding more protien.  Maybe thats why I was constantly hungry  around week 2 and 3.  

Week 4 I had gained a couple of pounds.

Week 6, right  before the meeting I weighed and measured myself.  I was excited that I lost 3 pounds.  I was real excited about losing 3 inches off my waist.  Thighs and calves stayed the same.  Arms and chest stayed the same.  I wish I could start building some size in my arms and shoulders.  I'd like to get rid of these Olive Oyl arms.  I'm lifting to the 10's, so maybe the next 6 weeks will be more definition.

Have a great Friday!

• Is anyone else having trouble eating enough? Margaret told me that one egg + 2 whites was not enough protein at breakfast, so I have added another white. I might have either toast, oatmeal or hash browns along with them, and it just seems like so much.

Yesterday I made the protein pancakes with egg whites, cottage cheese and oatmeal. I could not finish a serving. I ate somewhere around 3/4 of what I should have. (I'm also not crazy about the pancakes.)

Maybe it's mainly a breakfast thing for me and I should not worry about eating a little less as long as it is balanced between protein and carbs. Except that meal 2 is also the one I am most likely to overlook because I am not hungry.

Anyway, one more day and we are half done already!

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Velvet and Sara- Yes, you want to shoot for at least 20g of protein for every meal; 1 egg and 2 whites is only 13g...if you aren't feeding your body the protein it needs, the muscles can't grow.

Looking at the 28th for the BFL cooking party if you all can make it; I will send a msg out this weekend on FD, while I'm working on mid-terms...yay...not! =)

Michelle-thanks for stopping by!! ;o)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Mid-terms?? Already? My word, time is flying.

At cardio this morning, I could tell I was flirting with breathing trouble at the end of the third interval, so I did two minutes at level six at the start of the final interval to let my heart rate and breathing slow down just a bit more. Then I was able to proceed as normal. I am wondering whether this is a tweak I can regularly use to increase my speeds a bit more in the weeks to come?

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• I think I have finally (only took me 6 weeks) figured out my ultimate breakfast on my cardio days. This morning I had oatmeal (1/4 cup old fashioned oats, about 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar, about 3/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of water) microwaved for 1min 30 secs. Then I added about 8-12 frozen blueberries. I scrambled 1 egg and 1 egg white,salt and pepper; and then added 1/2 scoop of EAS Vanilla Whey Protein powder to my coffee. ( I also added 1/2 packet of truvia sweetener to my coffee)

Coach Roz, is this a good BFL breakfast? I could eat this easily every cardio day;~)

By the way, thanks for the meeting Tuesday. The get togethers help me bring the motivation to succeed up to a higher level!  

• Sara,

I would do that with the level 6 if it makes you feel more comfortable with your breathing situation. Yes, mid-terms already! Before we know it, your all's challenge will be over!! Woop!!

Kathy-That breakfast looks good, but I would not do the brown sugar, try the other 1/2 pack of the sweetner...Glad you were at the meeting...AND just think, the BEST is yet to come! Keep on Keepin' On!! =)

• Six weeks down, six to go. Keep up the good work, everyone!

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Hey all,

I use dumb bells for most of my lower and upper bwo.  When I hit level 6 rep with my weight with my arms, I am to the point I do not feel safe with the 20# DB's hanging over my head.  I feel like I need a spotter.  Like for cp and shoulder press 15  lb DB's are to easy for level 6 rep, and 20 to hard.  I wish there was a 17 pounder.  I do not care for the nautlis (?) machines and only use them occasionally.  Also, the barbell at the Y is 45 lbs that is probably level 8 rep for me.  Anybody have any suggestions?

And as for as enough protein for my meals.  I bought a digital scale to measure grams.  I took a turkey burger and broke pieces off until I reached the  25 gram mark.  This is the amt of grams I should be eating per meal based on my weight.  The burger was much, much smaller.  If I used the palm method I got alot more burger.  So which is right?   Hmm, not sure.  What do you all think?

Thanks,

Velvet

• Hey Velvet,

I was the same way going from 15's to 20's. Get those wrist wts from Target or Wal-Mart; they have 1# and 2# increments. That way you can have 17#'s in there.

On the bar, ask the trainers if they could get a 15# bar; we use them at our gym and I wouldn't think they would be that expensive.

Protein, that is good that you are weighing; the palm method is just a general rule of thumb; now you know that your palm is slightly over what you should be having and you can make your portion sizes better. I would go with the weighing method until you can guesstimate better on the sizes. FYI, for my lunch and dinner portions, I always ate a little bit more protein and kept my other meals around 20g.

Keep on asking questions!! And keep working hard!! =)

Have a GREAT day!! =)

• Velvet, if your fingers are long enough you can try crossing a 15 and a 2 to get 17 pounds.

Debbie, adding that extra minute at level 6 at the beginning of the fourth cycle is making all the difference. I hit 7.4 mph for level 10 today, a personal best.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Sara, that is awesome that you are hitting 7.4 mph on the tread mill.  My best is 7.0 mph and that about kills me.  I struggle with cardio, I just don't love it.  I wish I did. Thanks for the advise Sara and Deb, I will give it a try.  The other option would be to drag my husband to the gym with me to be my spotter.  I don't think that is going to happen.

Have a great Wednesday.

Velvet

• I look forward to cardio days mainly because I am in and out of the gym in half the time of weight days. I get so impatient waiting that minute between sets on weight days. Also the gym is getting more crowded as the weather gets colder and invariably someone gets on a machine right before I need it. There's a lot more planning needed to get through weight days than my poor little brain can handle at 5 am.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Way to go, Sara on the 7.4! Shoot for that 8mph mark! hehe!!

Velvet, want me to have a go around with Jeff and get him to the gym?? haha! Those wrist wts. aren't that expensive; I used my 2# ones quite a bit in C3...

Hope all is going well in the other areas of the challenge for you guys! 5 1/2 weeks to go! Stay STRONG!! =)

• If you can get my husband to the gym, you would be my hero. After I'm done with BFL, I am going to work on him.  After all he is going to have a new hot wife, with some muscles.  I wonder if I can beat him in arm wrestling.  I better hit the weights harder.

• High point was still 7.4 this morning, but I increased my cycle speeds from (4.2, 4.5, 4.8, 5.2) to (4.2, 4.6, 5.0, 5.4). I was a bit annoyed at the treadmill this morning because although the screen showed that I finished a little more than 9 quarter-mile laps, I only got credit for 2.24 miles. My next mini-goal is 2.25 miles and I thought I had made that. Phil, Hanna and I all three noticed that the timers would lag from time to time as well (usually when we were going really fast and ever second counts!) I need to remember that my body gives me credit even when the machine doesn't.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.