Hungry all day

• I started the program yesterday and noticed that I seem to be hungry constantly from lunch through the end of the day. Here's what I ate yesterday and today:

Monday: Meal 1, 8:30 am,Oatmeal, skim milk, banana, dark choc chips.

Meal 2, 10:45am apple

Meal 3, 12:30pm Orowheat sandwich thin, 1 portion turkey ham slices, 1/4 cup spinach, 1 roma tomato, mini babybel lite cheese

Meal 4, 4:00 pm Myoplex shake, 6 oz Dannon greek yogurt

Meal 5, 5:30 pm 1 portion baked haddock, 1/4 cup steamed sweet corn, 1/2 cup brown rice

Meal 6, 9:30 pm Myoplex bar, cookies and cream

1451 calories total, 192g carbs, 113 g protein, 29.1 g fat

Tuesday: Meal 1, 7:00 am Oatmeal, skim milk, banana, dark choc chips

Meal 2, 11:20am, Myoplex shake

Meal 3, 1:00pm, 1/4 cup corn, 1 portion haddock, 1/2 cup brown rice, Dannon greek yogurt

Meal 4, 4:00 pm, 1/2 EAS chocolate chocolate chip bar, 1 cup fresh cherries

Meal 5, 6:30pm 1 grilled chicken ***, 3/4 cup mixed veggies, steamed, 1/2 cup wild rice

1412 calories, 196g carbs, 116g protein, 21g fat

First I'd like to say that I know the dark chocolate is not on the diet list but it is dark chocolate and I'm really careful about the portion. I don't put any kind of sugar in my oatmeal (just cinnamon). I think I need to work on the veggies too as I'm not sure corn counts as a veggie more than a carb. Also, I'll probably have another meal before I go to bed tonight for meal #6 for Tuesday.  My water intake is pretty good getting 8-9 cups of water a day.  My problem is that from meal 3 until I go to bed I am absolutely starved and my head starts hurting. I finished meal 5 about an hour ago and my stomach is starting to growl already.  I actually never felt satisfied in the first place.

I'm 5' 3.5", 150 lbs, female, and want to lose 20 lbs of fat. I really want to stick with this program but I can't spend the next 12 weeks with my stomach trying to eat through to my backbone.  I might add that the exercise isn't new to me. I also study martial arts 2-3 times a week and I bicycle maybe 2-3 times a week depending on my work schedule. The only real additions with the BFL program is the weight training and the cardio method (I've been a runner for the last 3 years, just never paid attention to the intensity like this). I don't know if I'm just not eating enough for my activity level or if I'm not getting the right mix of nutrients.  Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

• Hi,

It looks like you are having too many Carbs at one time and not enough protein, with your oatmeal you should be havng some kind of protein, not just the milk and banana..if I'm right they are all Carbs...also the apple by itself is not good, you should be having a protein along with it, same for the Haddock dinner, I see you have the corn plus the rice plus a yogurt.... you only need one of them, I'm sure someone else will explain it better....

If you just have a Carb you are going to be hungry, also add some good fats in there, olive oil  is a good one, read about it all it the BFL book...I found at one point I suddenly got ravenous all day and figured i needed to up my protein...good luck and I'll be interested in what others ahve to say. :)

• I agree with snow dog.  You aren't eating enough protien, especially at breakfast.  With your oatmeal, try a 1/4 cup egg beaters egg whites.  Or maybe mix some cottage cheese in with the oatmeal.  I know for me, if I start my day with a breakfast high in protein, I feel full all day.  Also, on the suggested foods list, corn is in the carbs section so technically your Monday meal 5 did not have any veggies but instead two carbs.  The suggested food list can be found in the challenge kit or in the BFL book.  And finally, there may be too much time between your meals, especially your 3rd and 4th meal.  If you can, try to make your timing of meals more consistant.  But I know it is hard when life interfears.  Good luck!

• Meal 1, 8:30 am,Oatmeal, skim milk, banana, dark choc chips.(Where is the protein? Milk does not count. Bananas are questionable and not a listed fruit I think. Choc chips are a no no)

Meal 2, 10:45am apple (No protein portion? Can of tuna perhaps?)

Meal 3, 12:30pm Orowheat sandwich thin, 1 portion turkey ham slices, 1/4 cup spinach, 1 roma tomato, mini babybel lite cheese Looks Good, some day including me to avoid cheese or dairy.

Meal 4, 4:00 pm Myoplex shake, 6 oz Dannon greek yogurt Depending on which myoplex this is too many carbs (Unless its the low carb Advantage Edge)

Meal 5, 5:30 pm 1 portion baked haddock, 1/4 cup steamed sweet corn, 1/2 cup brown rice Awesome!

Meal 6, 9:30 pm Myoplex bar, cookies and cream Good choice

1451 calories total, 192g carbs, 113 g protein, 29.1 g fat

Cals from Each Source

1g of Carbs = 4 cals

1g of Protein = 4 cals

1g of Fat = 9 cals

Carbs (192*4=768) 51% of Cals

Protein (113*4=452) 30% of Cals

Fat (29.1*9=261) 17% of Cals

I shoot for and BFL should be a 40/40/20 Ratio.

Meaning equal amounts of carbs and protein in grams

1g per pound of body weight.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• The protein needs increasing.

The carbs should be no more than 150 grams per day.

The dark chocolate chips will kill your program. 

Read the BFL book carefully to see how you can easily pair your food. 

Many of your meals have 2 carbs.  I think the hunger is really insulin crashing because it was spiked with so much carb in one sitting.  Really...reduce the carbs, increase the protein and you will be less hungry.

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• a portion of carbs and a portion of protein the size of your fist in each meal

Bananas are fine and they are in the book

I dont think the bars are the best , too much sugar, shakes are much better,

• I agree with the above regarding protein.

i would not eat the banana they are sugar bombs.

Also where are your fibrous veggies? zuccini, romaine. string beans, broccoli, etc.

You can really bulk out your portions by eating your vegetables.

• ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Why do people keep spouting the same crap, bananas are sugar bombs.this statement is prue and utter crap, yes bananas have sugar the same sugar thats in apples, oranges,starwberries, pears etc its called frutose a very low glycemic carb,bananas are a natural food , do you really think a food found in nature is bad for us

Bananas are even mentioned in the book for God sake

Even if you see the bodyforwork video you will see Bill taking a hotdog out of one of the champions hands and handing him a banana

im  just sick of people with their suborn ways

• There are plenty of foods found in nature that are bad for us, so that's a poor argument.  I'm not completely against bananas, but feel many use them poorly.  They are higher in fructose than many other fruits, so that needs to be considered.  The GI is not the be all end all.  It's impacted by your protein anyway, so a poor reference.  To say "the same sugar" makes things seem like apples to apples, if you will the expression.  Bananas are not the same as raspberries.  Raspberries are a better choice. Pineapple is a horrible choice as an example.

I would argue though, that bananas are approved.  They are mentioned in the book.  Nothing mentioned in Eating for Life is valid to me because of many reasons, but bananas are in the original BFL book.  Be mindful of portion, timing, etc.

• Ok first of all ... ditch the chocolate.  I don't care if you are careful about the portion ro not.  If you are serious about putting in an all out effort, you will save it for your free days.

Secondly, I will echo what most are saying, your meals are slanted more towards carbs.  You need to keep the protein and carbs close to the same amount (in grams - ie 20gr carbs and 20gr protein)

Also, on the banana, a typical banana that you buy at the store is more than what is considered 1 portion.   If you really have to have one, make sure to weight it to know how much you are getting.

Get the protein up and the carbs down (equalize) and make sure to drink enough water during the day.  As a point of reference I go through 80 - 128 ounces a day and it helps keep the hunger pangs away.

• There are plenty of foods found in nature that are bad for us, so that's a poor argument

Would please give an example?

.  I'm not completely against bananas, but feel many use them poorly.  They are higher in fructose than many other fruits, so that needs to be considered.  The GI is not the be all end all.  It's impacted by your protein anyway, so a poor reference

Its not a poor reference, the reason high sugar foods are bad for us is because processed sugar is high glycemic and this is why people fear bananas because they believe this about them too

.  To say "the same sugar" makes things seem like apples to apples, if you will the expression.  Bananas are not the same as raspberries.  Raspberries are a better choice. Pineapple is a horrible choice as an example.

Actually pineapples are good for you too, heres proof taken from wikipedia

Pineapple is a good source of manganese (91 %DV in a 1 cup serving), as well as containing significant amounts of vitamin C (94 %DV in a 1 cup serving) and vitamin B1 (8 %DV in a 1 cup serving).[5]

Pineapple contains a proteolytic enzyme bromelain, which breaks down protein. Pineapple juice can thus be used as a marinade and tenderizer for meat. The enzymes in raw pineapples can interfere with the preparation of some foods, such as jelly or other gelatin-based desserts but it breaks down in cooking or the canning process.Though some have claimed pineapple should not be consumed by people with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, or kidney or liver disease the quantity of bromelain in the fruit is probably not medically significant being mostly in the inedible stalk.

Consumers of pineapple have claimed that pineapple has benefits for some intestinal disorders, and others believe it serves as a pain reliever;[6] still others claim that it helps to induce childbirth when a baby is overdue.[7]

www.carbs-information.com/.../pineapple-gi.htm

I would argue though, that bananas are approved.  They are mentioned in the book.  Nothing mentioned in Eating for Life is valid to me because of many reasons, but bananas are in the original BFL book.  Be mindful of portion, timing, etc.

bananas have more calories then most other fruits but stachy carbs have more cals then bananas, and being mindful of portions is whats asked for in the first place

• There is no such thing as "proof" from Wikipedia.  Get me a scientific study.  Most everything has a benefit, it's a matter of how much in comparison to what.  Heck...cocaine has some benefits.  You want to believe what you want to believe, but I remind you that your goal is, according to your name, to get a 6 pack. You don't have an attitude aligned with that goal. 

Also, please research the GI, it's not as simple as sugar content or that would be our only point of reference.

• Using Bill P taking a hot dog away from a guy and handing him a banana doesn't scream "Bill thinks banana's are better than or equal to apples!"  

What it says is he was taking a unhealthy hot dog away and giving the guy a piece of fruit.  Any fruit is going to be a better choice than a hot dog.

I don't really know much about the GI properties versus apples, but I do know that portion size is an issue with what you buy at the store ... and that can go for apples too but it seems like it is really prevalent with banana's.

• Wow,

I guess I'm late to the "bananas are sugar bombs" party I started.

RE Pineapple. BP specifically says "tropical" fruits are excluded so lets drop the pineapple argument.

RE Banana... to get to the 20g of carbs recommended for a woman the OP's size the correct serving size of banana is 5.5 linear inches.  Probably the lenght of her hand.  That serving size has 2.3g fiber (all this info per fitday.com)

Wether or not bananas are a good choice, hey to each their own. The fact is that they ARE made of sugar.  She asked for input and thats my recommendation. Drop the banana. It causes an insulin spike which causes hunger. fact.

Apples are a 38 on the GI index

Bananas are a 54

Apples are lower GI and therefore a better choice. :)

• Im sorry but you dont know how wrong you are

Firstly do you mind directing me to where Bill Phillips said tropical fruits are excluded, he actually said in a recent transformation radio that he often has lowfat cottage cheese and pineapple, not pineapple from a tin mind you but the real thing

As you said bananas are made of sugar , but I dont dismiss that as I said they are a healthy sugar, and if you still are to uses that argument then you have to include apples oranges and grapefruit because they are made from the same sugar

Your last point is the GI rating of 54 for bananas, this is actually quite moderate, I mean if you use that point then you would have to exclude alot of starchy carbs that are approved on this program which exceed 54 on the GI scale

Also I was a bit harsh in my last post, I apologise for that