Hi Im Elizabeth new to BFL

• Hi Im Elizabet V.No I havnt even got the book yet but I will next week.Im a fan of New Kids On The Block and I know Danny Wood recomends this program thats how I heard about it.he recommends BFL For Women for women though. i need to lose weight and need a good specific food plan. I read at Amazon.com women complaining about the BFL For Women book because they said they dont really give a good specific food plan its too vague. But they said they recommend BFL cause it has more of a clear food plan in it, So i decided to get BFL instead.

I weigh 340 pounds, i started out at 366 and went down to 334 on my own diet but failed and gained 6 pounds back and am slightly anemic right now I  am taking vitamins though. Even though Im a big fan of dannys really the reason, this diet appeals to me is because Im so addicted to carbs and junk food that quite often I have to deal with anemia and malnutrition, Im sick alot and especially when I go on diet and lose weight real quick quite often I end up sick in the docters office sick! This plan does strike me as quite healthy and with 6 meals a day hopfully Ill get enough protein and

fiber to not have to worry about it. I do have a few reservations though. Ive heard some say that its not a great diet for those of us trying to lose alot of weight, and I do have alot to lose.Ive also heard some say itys great for losing weight. I also read one blog by a weight trainer who said hed lost weight with it before but also lost weight with Weight Watchers, but said if you need to lose weight go to WW first then come back to BFL. But he also said if you want to lose weight with Body For Life you should count your calories with the program?So does anyone have an opinion on weightloss with Body For Life?Ifyou have any good advice for me please share it.

I guess in the end all I can do is give it a shot for a month or 2 and see if I see any weight loss results.

• Yeah theres a question! For everyone who has lost alot of weight (im looking to lose ten kgs - get down from 68kgs to 55kgs and have a 6pack) did you guys count calories or portions or both?? What would you recommend the most??

• I don't count calories.  Its too time consuming.  If you can eat 5 meals a day you need to remember that all of the meals are small.  Each meal should have a protein and a carb.  You do need to implement portion control though.  To lose weight you need to BURN more calories then you CONSUME.  I use the small plates and my protein will be the size of half my fist and my carb no more then my fist.  

I think WW is good for people who really don't know what foods and in what portions they should be eating. WW helps with portion control by assigning points to every thing.  WW allows for very complex and processed foods though and you will not learn to curb sugar or carb addictions that way and it will not do your glucose levels any favors.  WW does help people learn portion control though by assigning points to everything.  You will lose weight with WW you will not probably however do it with the healthiest foods possible when you know you can go to McD's and only eat a small fry.

I'm biased towards the body for life program...BUT WW is a good place to start.  I have a digestive disorder though and the cleaner I eat the better!!!! WW allows you to eat whatevery you want as long as you don't go over your points....I don't like that....for me.  Hope this helps.

THE CLEANER YOUR DIET the better you will feel and the more healthier your weight loss will be.

• I have to say I disagree Tiffany and would strongly advise against WW especially if you are a carb junkie and junk food kinda person.

WW doesnt help you to stick to clean, nutritionally rich food as you can eat whatever you like as long as you dont go over your points. Personally when i did WW I would always stick to my points but often those points would be consumed in a white toast for breakfast, a piece of chocolate cake for 10 points in the morning, no point soup for lunch (to make up for the cake) and pasta and tomatoe sauce for dinner. Nutritional...... I think not! Within my points............ absolutely.

The other key issue with WW is that protein tends to be siginificantly reduced in most peoples diets due to it being high in points. WW also doesnt really push affect of High GI foods on your insulin and thus fat loss.

Yeah you'll loose weight but you'll put all of it and more back on. BFL is a healthy, nutritional plan which will help you loose FAT not weight and thats what more important. Its just that fat loss is much harder than weight loss and most people want an easy option (myself included before BFL).  

Stick with BFL Elizabeth, lots of people have made huge losses on it Sharon-Wonder-Woman and Champster are two that come to mind immediately and you can too.

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh

• WW seems like Dieting made too simple. I could eat my allotted points on junk and lose weight but then it would just leave me skinny-fat and unhealthy. BFL is not a diet. It is a NUTRITION and EXERCISE program designed to lose fat (not just weight) and build strength.

Build good habits dont rely on someone else's point systems. Everything has a label on it these days so we dont need points.

Here is a fact:

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories.

Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories.

Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories.

I shoot for 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and then make carbs = protein.

Here is some simple mat.

I currently weigh 180 lbs

180 x Protein (4 cals) = 720

180 x Carbs (4 cals) = 720

So ideally 1420 calories from Protein and Carbs.

I shoot for 1800-2000 cals a day

So that leaves me 380 to 580 calories left over to consume.

One thing missing from this is vegetables. Usually 30 cals a serving.
    I shoot for 4 servings (120 cals)

That still leaves me 260-460 calories

Now to calculate the fat

260 (extra cals) / 9 (cals in fat) = 28 g of fat
    460 (extra cals) / 9 (cals in fat) = 51 g of fat

So lets recap
    1800 cals, 180 g protein 180g carbs 30-40g fat (I try to have healthy fats like omega-3) the rest is vegetables.

Ok so that seemed harder that counting points but atleast my nutrition is taken into account.

With six meals a day if I average it out equally.

300 calories

30g protein

30g carbs

5g fat

I shoot for a 40/40/20 Protein/Carb/Fat ratio.

GIVE IT A SHOT FOR ALL 12 WEEKS

Bryan

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• I have done WW over the years. What it taught me was how to be skinny/fat and saggy. Tired, weak and mentally exhausted. I had noodle arms and floppy thighs. I thought I was ok, because the scale told me I was at a healthy weight for my height.

They did not teach me the importance of strength training or building lean muscle or the importance of hydration or balance of proteins and carbs. I would save my weekend points and drink wine - because it worked.

That gets boring after awhile, I had no muscle to help me burn calories and I gained all my weight back and more. See in order for people on WW to continuously lose weight, they have to continuously eat less and less. Fat cells shrink, yes, but they have no power - they just sit there. Lean muscle is alive, it needs fuel to live and burn - it's energy we need.

I am so PRO-BFL after living the WW thing and continue to see my skinny fat sister agonize over why she cant stay thin....she is blaming her thyroid now - that's the latest. She walks for about 1.5hr a day at a slow pace, no sweat and thinks she is doing a workout - because WW says she is. Uhhhhh!

I could go on and on...my point is I have been there and done that - dont waste your time, BFL works and it will leave you feeling strong, healthy, hydrated, awake, energized, proud and fit. Yes it takes time, but THINK ABOUT IT, you are turning a chuck roast riddled and marbled with fat into that sirloin steak - tender and strong - the best cut around.

SO - Saturday I am visiting sister and her pool. I am taking with me my Aquasize excercises that I learned last night and going to show her a real swimming workout - I will let you know how soon she has to give in. !!

• Tanks fo nall th ehlp. i dont blieve I could do that multiplying my weight by protien calories I weigh 333 accordin to mys cales that would be like 1300 and something calories for protien and 1300 something for carbs it too much i couldnt eat that much if I tried!

• Use an achieveable goal weight to calculate the protein and carbs.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

• Don't give up on it before you even get  started. This is not the first time I've entered the challenge. The first time I did really well (lost 2 clothes sizes) and didn't really give 100%. This time I intend to give myself 100% first by giving body for life 100%. I know you're concerned about having to lose a lot of weight, but try to set some realistic short term goals. This is why I like the challenge. It gives me the jump start I need. I think 2-21/2 lbs is a realistic goal and I'm starting at 170 lbs. Once you get used to eating equal quality protein and carbs and plenty of veggies your cravings for the junk food will start to disappear. I would also recommend EAS CLA if you can afford it. bodybuilding.com has a special buy one get one, or at least they did 2 weeks ago. It really helps with keeping your body from absorbing the fat. Just remember"Body For Life" is just that.A lifestyle change not a diet. The principles are sound if you only stick to it.If you can make it a lifestyle, then you will realize your long term goals of losing a lot of weight.Having done this before, it's even easier this time around.I wish injuries hadn't set me back before. And if anyone goes hungry on this plan they're doing something really wrong. Eating good quality proteins and carbs satiate you a whole lot more than that junk food.This time around I am trying to be aware of calorie intake as well but I'm not spending a lot of time on it. I try to stay below 1450 calories a day. I split them up into approximately 250 breakfast,300 lunch and dinner each, and 200 for in between each. I have a pretty good idea from past experience how many calories in most of the foods I eat. It's hard at first to get used to 6 meals a day, but once you are used to it you will be hungry every couple of hours. It's great for your metabolism. The AdvantEdge ready to drink shakes are really good and very handy. I snack on beef jerky, fruit, carrots, and small portions of nuts. I also try to do a little more exercise than I expected of myself, push it a little farther cause it's a great confidence booster.But I can't stress enough how important "crossing the abyss" is for me. I know the reason I wasn't as successful before as I would have liked is the mental part of it. Journaling is really helping me this time, especially these forums. One more thing I learned in the first challenge: Free day does not mean free for all. It's more like a free meal or a special treat. We would eat anything and everything on our free day and pay for it the next day on the scales. Besides it just reinforces negative behaviors.

Good luck.

• exercise,exercise,water,water,water and muscle burns fat.

• 2-21/2 lbs. a week that is

• HOLY M&*HER FU&*ING CR%P I JUST GOT WEIGHED AT THE DOCTERS OFFICE. I LOST 10 POUNBDS WENT DOWN FROM 339 TO 329 WOOHOO DOING CARTWHEELS AND BACKFLIPS ALL OVER THE COMPUTER.IVE HAD ONE FREEDAY AND IVE BEEN DOING THE PROGRAM WRONBG JUST OT THROUGH READING THE BOOK,. IVE BEEN EATINNG TOO MANY CARBS, 7 OR 8 A DAY INSTEAD OF 5 THE 5 THAT INCLUDES 2 FRUITS AND 2 OR 3 WHOLE WHEATS (IN BFL FOR WOMEN IN ONE PLACE IT SAYS 2 WHOLE WHEATS A DAY IN ANOTHER IT SAYS 2 OR 3)WITH 4 WHOLE WHEATS A DAY.

IVE GOT TO CUT BACK TO 5 A DAY WITH ONLY 2 WHOLE WHEATS BUT WITH ALL THE WEIGHT IVE LOST I DONT THINK ITS GONNA BE ENOUGH CARBS SO IM ADDING ONE MEAL BAR A DAY EVERYDAY FOR ONE MEAL JUST TO MAKE SURTE IVE GOT ENOGUH CARBS I DONT WANT TO LOSE TO FAST.

BUT HIP HIP HOORAY YOU GUYS IM THRILLED OUT OF MY MIND WOOHOO

• Awesome keep the momentum going!

• Hi Brent,

First time poster here as i am planning on starting the challenge in September. While I understand the math-are your calcs above based on maintaining your current 180 weight? If you wanted to lose 20 lbs would you then change the 180 to 160 to get to what your daily intake should be? Also, does the factor change for a male/female?

Appreciate your feedback!

Regards,

CC