Anyone a former Low Carber? Need help!!

• I did the LC Way of eating for a while, fell off and decided to get back on and do BFL at the same time. My brain has been so hardwired that I feel I need to start with induction. If you did LC before and are now eating the BFL way, how did you change your mindset to OK those carbs? Did it affect your progress in anyway. Mind you, even if it slows my progress that is fine because I am READY for this challenge!!

Thanks SO much for your help in advance :)

Tia

Tia~

http://journeytosix.blogspot.com

You can choose the pain of discipline or the pain of regret...

• Tia, please don't get so hung up on "changing your mindset."  Just eat more healthy as prescribed by BFL.  Get the book, read the book, plan your meals and exercise as prescribed by the book.  

Extreme low carb eating is not sustainable for a healthy life.

• Tia,

I spent 15 weeks on the Anabolic Diet (high protein/high fat/low-no carb) prior to switching over to BFL. I found it effective in the short-term, but after awhile, I became concerned about cholesterol with the amount of red meat and whole eggs I was consuming. While my strength increased greatly in the gym, it became evident to me that my long term health and wallet could not sustain that lifestyle.

The switch to BFL was a relief in that the carbohydrates were explained very well. More than that, however, was the years of proof and thousands of success stories that convinced me that a balanced nutrition plan made more sense to the "life" part as well as the "body" aspect.

Once you submit to the plan and have faith that what you're going to do really works, the mindset shift is immediate. Buy in to the program and your progress will only be affected by your food choices and consistency (and quality) of exercise.

• Hi Tia, I am on C1W8 don't remember the day ;) but I used to live LC style life. Never a very low one though because the first time I tried Atkins I realized how bad it was, and it was just crazy the need to count your lettuce!! So I stayed in the Zone for many years with very good results.

Last year  I gained 10 # and for first time wasn't able to lose them I also have problems with my thyroid and an allergy to gluten. For a year couldn't lose them. But always following my eating plan and excersising. I am 38 years. I tried BFL because one very precious friend I have, she is beautiful she almost 60 years!!! and looks like a doll. Great body, and looks so young. so talking to her, to see her workout routine  she told me about BFL first I just wanted to try the excersise routine but I decided if I was going to do it, do it right.

So sort of scared, but looking at her, and I thought well I have a year with no results at all after many good years, so I will try it and see if it really doesn't work for me. Knowing it could take even longer with my health issues.

At the beggining I gained 3 pounds, but just recently I lost them, but I have also lost inches! and my  legs are toned, my body is a little bit different. So I can see it is working,  I have been eating like the plan.

I supposed if you are scared, you can choose for your carbs just starchy vegetables and fruit.

But to tell you the truth, I am enyojing my pasta and GF bread, after maaany maanyyyyyyy years. And I love it.

I think you need the carbs to be able to have energy to do the routines.

I thought the hardes part would be missing mozzarella cheese.. but now I am fine, having the free day I can see it has many advantages.

Try it all!!! I believe it is a good plan. I understand how you feel, just try not to be worried, and think about your health and not the weight.

I wish you the best

• I did a very LC diet (only 1 portion of starchy carbs at lunch) before BFL and had great results (lost 7lb of fat in 4 weeks) however, after 4 weeks they only thing i could think about was carbs. This ended in a weekend of carb binging resulting in me gainin 4 of the 7lb back!

After this i decided that my bdy couldnt cope without carbs and took up the BFL way and, whilst the loss is slower, I am losing body fat and getting leaner. I am in week 6 and dont feel deprived at all this is so much more achieveable and I know I can eat like this for the rest of my life. There was no chance of that on the LC diet

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh

• Thanks everyone! :)

James-I have the book, read the book and I just needed someone to share their experience having done what I have :)

I didn't do and extreme LC diet I did Atkins. I ate carbs, I added them back in, in steps. Many things that are acceptable on Atkins are also allowed on the BFL diet just sooner.

I know that your body NEEDS carbs. You definitely can NOT function without them and anyone who tries is going to pass out and go crazy!

Monasasha that was perfect. I'm definitely ready to give cottage cheese a go! LOL  I don't like the way it looks but I'll know I'll end up loving the way it tastes :)

Tia~

• Suenos, I was eating a relatively low carb diet (only fruit and veg, no grains, with lots of eggs and meat). Mentally, I sympathise with you. However, once I started B4L, it didn't take long to realise that I needed the additional energy form the carbs. Also, carbs and protein mix is very Zone, which I believe is still healthy. If you need some convincing, grab a copy of some of the Zone books. The other thing to remember that this is not a high-carb endurance style diet. If you watch your portions, the amount of carbs you are eating is not all that high. I haven't had any real stomach or digestion issues from reintroducing processed carbs and dairy, well certainly not as much as I have from supplementing creatine!

I have been keeping a day by day account of my journey on b4lexperiment.blogspot.com ,  and you can see some comments on diet particularly in the early days.  I have also written down what I am eating each day.

Good luck, let us know how you go.

• Thanks Jaypee! I think I'm pretty much mind ready now. I have the stuff I just haven't been able to eat it completely. I've been eating the portions and BFL approved things...in an LC way but I'm going to add that Whole Wheat Bread back in. That stuff just scares me because if I can eat one piece of bread I can eat 1,000! I love it sooooooo much lol

That's why I think it's better I stay away from it but NOW I think that I will be able to control it especially since I have a greater goal in mind. Your posts really helped everyone :) It doesn't take much for me I just needed that "Hey, yeah been there done that, this is where I am now" :)

Tia

Tia~

• Here's my biggest piece of advice on all foods...  

Never, ever forget that YOU control the food, the food does not control YOU.

It doesn't matter which nutrition corner you've backed yourself into that's the bottom line.  

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• me me me.

I followed low carb way of eating for YEARS. I would never bash that way of eating.  I also have severe hypothyroidism and have really suffered with it.  There have been periods in my life where I could not stop gaining weight no matter WHAT I was eating.

Can you clarify though?  Are you doing low carb right now? It sounds like you aren't... if you're just following SAD (standard american diet) right now I'm not sure why you're worried about starting BFL?

For me I came right off of low carb and onto BFL.  Here is what I did:

I had my roomate take away my scale. I am sure that there is some weight gain adding carbs back in and do not need that random number generator messing up my program. I also started with the carbs SLOWLY.  I chose carbs from the list that I felt most comfortable with.  For me that was yogurt, corn and yams.  I increased my carbs each week until by week three I was at 100g of carbs per day.  I'm on week four now and have added another source of carbs which is ezekiel sprouted grain tortillas. I'm getting close to my target of 120g of carbs per day.

I wil probably never eat pasta or potatoes. I don't see a need to eat those types of foods. I suggest carefully choosing the carbs that you are most comfortable with and starting with those.

• Love your food advice Michelle! Ain't that the truth!!!

Live   Love   Lift!

Dee :)

• Yes PIrata :)

I started LC again last week and then decided to do this as well at the same time. I did both before together and I was definitely seeing results but I stopped because of the scale not moving!

So I was planning on adding back in my carbs as I did before. BUT today I realized that it's OK I can eat what it says in the book and do it  "my way" kinda. I am doing EXACTLY what you said!! LOL I actually decided that before I read your post.

Just like you I came to the conclusion that there are things I won't  eat like pasta, potatoes, and rice I really don't even care for them anymore.  I am DEFINITELY kicking that scale out!

One day Michelle, one day... :) Believe me I try and that hunger kicks in...I try not to make it whatever is around. I've been doing good to much on broccoli or a piece of chicken. That helps a little.

I was never hungry on LC, I was very hungry today even with my protein and carb and my 10 ounces of water. Today I will have eaten 7 times before the day is over which I'm sure is fine but that's new to me. I drink water all day everyday. I don't drink anything else. My water for today is already 120 and at the moment my body is calling for more.

Tia~

• okay awesome we're hella on the same page.

I was worried about it too... thus the ditching of the scale for now.  I had some encouragement from others who have made the transition.

So far so good on the transition! I'm now in week four and up to almost 120g of carbs per day.  I use corn, yams, sprouted whole grain tortills, yogurt and even count the carbs in carrots towards my carbs.

I also feel like I'm getting plenty to eat. I come in usually just south of 1500 cals per day but don't really get hungry except sometimes right before meal 3.

Keep me posted on how it goes for you!

• You're my new former LC migrating to BFL eating partner! lol

Maybe my portions are too small? I think I've got it right. I dunno.

Tia~

• Back in April I did a no carb all protein diet for 3 weeks. I know the only way I made it was because in the end I got a reward..... 6 treatments of laser lipo suction for free. I was part of a study that a local doctor was doing. I lost 18 lbs and a total of 10 inches from my waist and hips. The diet helped change the way I look at food. I no longer crave bad carbs or sweets....I eat clean and healthy and so does my husband and children. If I had the choice to do it again now I would say NO WAY but if I had it to do over again I WOULD!!!! Two weeks after I interoduced good carbs back into my diet my wonderful sister gave me the BFL book. Of course I jumped right in!!!!!! The first week was really hard as I was not used to eating so much and I had not had bread or pasta in 5 weeks. I do eat WW pasta, bread and rice but not at every meal.  I am in week 6 and I feel wonderful and I have almost dropped 1 size.  Stick with the plan it works!!!!!