upset with BFL and wondering about 2nd challenge!?

• I just ended my first BFL challenge. I kind of fizzled out the 12th week because my pictures showed VERY LITTLE results! You really couldn't tell which one was the 1st month and which was the last week. I really don't think I need to lose much weight, maybe about 10 or 15 pounds and tone up. I'm really wondering if I should even try a 2nd challenge!? I followed the plan to a T and hit all of my tens (though for about two weeks I did a wkout video instead of cardio). If I do plan on starting, it will be on July 1st. Any suggestions? similar stories? I pretty upset with BFL and myself right now. 

Stacy Lynn

• I didn't get the best results in this first challenge. (I am still in week 12 and finishing strong) The last time I weighed myself I was only down about 12#, I had 40# total to get off so I do have a lot to lose. But personally I know when I look back over my twelve weeks I had more than a few missed workouts and a lot of unauthorized snacking one bite here or there over time.  I am doing another challenge for sure and I will be sticking to it and will be giving it 110%. I think you should do another challenge, because as they say the 12 weeks time is going to pass anyway so why not??? Hope this helps, actually finishing the challenge is an accomplishment in itself, regardless of what the numbers say!!!!

Tisha :-) “Running won't kill you, you'll pass out first!"

• If you can look back and honestly say that you followed the exercise and eating plan and you are heinously dissatisfied with the results... well, then I would think this plan for whatever reason doesn't work for you.

• I'm in week 10 and have only lost 5 - 7 lbs ( it fluctuates) and I'm still a size 14, and if you look at my pictures, not a big difference, BUT, I honestly feel if I keep going I will get to my goal! I feel good about what I'm doing, what I'm eating and I'm proud of my commitment!

All the work I put into the gym benefits me and keeps building my muscles and the way I like to think about it is - the bigger your muscles are, the more "little pac mans" they send out to eat up all the fat! Silly, I know but I like the analogy! (Are you old enough to remember Pac Man? Showing my age again!)

There is so much "learn as you go" that now that I'm in week 10, I can't wait for cycle 2, to do it so much better because of all the trial & error & learning from my mistakes and little tips I've learned along the way!

My mistakes - LOVED the Free Day - all day! Used recipes from Eating for life for the 1st 8 weeks. And I have a glass of skim milk with whatever I have for breakfast. And for my 6th meal I ate 1 oz low salt mixed nuts, 1 oz beef jerky and air popped popped corn.

But so far I've never missed a meal or a workout! I workout hard!

What will I change for cycle 2? Tone down my free day. Eat from the authorized list as much as possible. I've already removed the nuts but the popcorn & jerky Is my "treat" at the end of the day and I love skim milk in the AM but will try to use it as my carb so we will see how cycle 2 goes! My husband does BFL with me and he is just as committed as I am. So we are happily going to do another cycle because it sure beats all the crazy diets out there, diet frozen dinners, medifast, workout tapes that get boring after a while etc. We like do do our own thing in our "home gym" in the basement, listen to music on our IPod and have fun challenging each other!

Good luck to you and I hope to be right behind you in cycle two!!!

Live   Love   Lift!

Dee :)

• Hi Stacy,

I can only speak for myself, but in 4-1/2 years of following BFL, the only time I have been unhappy with my results is when I'm taking little liberties - portion sizes, a little treat hear or there, leaving a rep or two in the tank and calling it good enough.  BFL has been proven to work on all types of people with all types of extenuating circumstances.

If you've truly hit your 10's, eaten clean, and followed the program to the letter, and haven't seen any results or lost any excess body weight, then I'm at a loss for how to help you.  This is the first time I've ever heard of it not working for someone who has followed it faithfully.  Of course you're free to try another program.  But I would suggest doing it again.  This program works.  There isn't any doubt about that.  I would definitely expect you to get better results after round 2.

Best of luck to you,

Dave

• You haven't lost any weight?  Any inches? Gained any muscle?  See any definition you didn't have before?  Or is it that you didn't see the results you thought you would see?  I cannot imagine you saw no results at all.  

If you really saw no results then it's time to get real honest with yourself.  Did you eat 100% from the approved list?  Or did you make a few exceptions every now and then?   Did you truly hit your 10's?  Really?  Could you have pushed it harder or were you settling for good enough?  If you do a second challenge then make a promise to yourself that good enough will not cut it.  Give it 100% and it will work.  Unless there is some underlying medical reason I just cannot imagine this program not working.

• Hi Stacy,

I just read something that might help you.

I am married to my best friend and have a beautiful little girl. 
    I'm a special Ed teacher and an aspiring writer.  
    I joined Body For Life in search of more energy, a stronger body and a gain of confidence!
    So far, I have yet to be disappointed!  
    I want to be a healthy role-model for my daughter and family.
    Thank you all for the support and encouragement!

So remember why you're doing this.  It'll work for you, just keep working at it.

I'm just trying to support and encourage you.  :-)

Myra

• Hi Stacy815 - i was talking to my husband about you this morning and he reminded me that i was "there" at one point - being frustrated, in fact i have been there quite a bit at times BUT the key is to never give up, easier said than done when you feel like you have pushed, pulled, suffered and sacrificed and there is nothing (everyone has their own version of "nothing" =) ) to show for it. that's why i like to mow the lawn, instant gratification and i started out as a "truly instant" girl.

As i thought about you this morning these were my thoughts exactly - some come from MY past experiences:

1) did you write down everything you ate - good way to catch those things that can hinder our progress

2) are you sure your portion sizes are right on

3) did you stay on the authorized list

4) did you change your exercisesery 4 weeks

5) did you read the whole BFL book front to back - and hopefully refer back to it often

6) did you write down your goals

Again i know what it feels like to be at the place you are - there is nothing more frustrating BUT take it from someone who has been there and come back =)   don't quit, maybe take your 2 weeks of AR and read through the book again, surf this site for help and guidance, continue to plan and be organized and journal your next challenge - from start to finish - it's a good way to make sure you are staying on the right track.

The next 12 weeks - after your Active Rest - will go by and you really can choose how you want them to pass, if you choose to ditch the BFL way of living i hope you come back, we will always be here for you, if you choose to lace up your gloves and get back in the ring we will be here cheering you on, helping you over come those obstacles and celebrating with you when you complete your 2nd challenge because we know you are a winner.

I thought of myself this morning and what my "end of challenge 1" will look like and i have to remind myself of these things:

1) i didn't get to "this place" over night and i won't get back over night

2) this is for the rest of my life and i will constantly be learning - more about my own body, health and fitness as well as the "way of life (BFL) i am choosing to live

3) i have determined that it may take me a year to get where i want to be - no worries a year will come and go, i have the time

4) it's not a race - i have to remember to not set myself up to fail - celebrate every success - most days that looks like getting my WO in and eating clean and drinking my water - that is a success and should be celebrated

5) i have to "get ready" to be in the new body i am working towards - my thinking, my self talk, etc etc - if i am not ready to take care of the new me then i have every good potential to go back to the old me and that is not acceptable.

I have gone on and on but mostly i want to say "I have been there, please know you are not alone" if you want a buddy or someone to go through the next challenge with let me know, or better yet let us all know because we are all here for you - you have a HUGE rah rah section at your disposal.

Have a good day Stacy, keep that little bit of hope in your heart, don't loose sight of it and don't let that other emotion win out and take you away.           =)

Cory
    Life IS Good
    Not in BFL challenge currently

• Wow Cory!

I don't know about Stacy but I'm motivated by your wonderful encouraging words! C2 is going to be great!

Live   Love   Lift!

• Fantastic response Cory.  And I will be honest about this thread.  The title of it upsets me.  There shouldn't be any upset with BFL.  BFL is a TOOL  to HELP YOU reach your goals.  It's not a miracle cure.  It's not an easy button.  It takes really open self honesty and a lot of hard work.  

I did three challenges 2001-2002 and then went into what is referred to as "wandering".  I wandered around the gym, I wandered around clean eating for 7 years.  I gained back 20 pounds of my initial loss by wandering around.

In 2009 I finally had the epiphany that MY success is based on MY implementation of the tools being offered.

A positive mindset plays a huge role in all aspects of success, not just with BFL.  Negative attitude, negative mindset and self doubt, be it about the program or everyday life leaves that escape route of being able to say...it didn't work for me.  

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• I know for a fact that BFL works and will not let you down if you truly follow it to a T.   After my challenge I have inspired several of my friends to start BFL and one of my friends is not eating right and really didn't change up much of her diet and has still lost 10lbs just because of the HIIT and the weight lifting.  

BFL is a "challenge"  and it does work.  If you are not satified with your first challenge then do another.  Refresh yourself, read the book again, write down your goals and don't cheat yourself.  You can do this!  Remeber the 84 days will pass regardless of what you do, you might as well give it your best effort!

Stay possitive and keep a journal of your food and your workouts.  This way if you are having trouble you can go back and see what needs to be changed.

I love this quote!

"The limits you are living with right now, in every aspect of your existence, have been created by your mind. They are perceptions. And they are holding you back. You are capable of far more than you think you are." -Bill Phillips

• Cory!  

I agree with Dee...fantastic response.  We should all print that out and refer back to it often!!  How incredibly inspiring.

Julie

C2W8D52

• Your absolutely right Michelle!

Live   Love   Lift!

• Thoughts of what I thought would happen at the end of 12 weeks. I had the ambition of following this program to the "T", but things happened and it, didn't happen. I told myself  I'll try harder the next 12 weeks.....again I lied to my self and it didn't happen. Then I got hold of Bills book and read it from front to back...including the credits. One of the things I read was "Honor your self promises".  This was 10 years ago and the day I really got the job done was July 2003. It took a lot to admit I was not doing all I could to complete my goals back then and now I'm starting all over again. You can start over also and get the job done. Give the BFL program a chance to prove to you it is the best program there is. This is not ment to say that you did not give your all, but to say did the program give you it's all...... there are a lot of your friends out there giving you great advice and the advice I want to give to you is " try harder and you will see the results". John

• Hey Stacy, remember those carbs; especially the hidden ones.  That is the key, in addition to working out with weights and cardio.  Cut your carbs down to 20 grams while you balance your protein.  Maintain a sensible exercise routine.  Take your supplements for recovery.  You will find yourself shaping up.  Good health to you. Fit for health