Sabotaging myself without realising

• I have just finished week 4 and although my body is changing its not as quick as I hoped. I've spent the last 4 weeks telling myself that i'm doing this to the letter but after reading that women should eat around 1600 calories per day (i was working to 1800) I decided to have an indepth look at my calorie intake to see where I could cut some out and I've discovered my portion sizes are way too big. Not only was my intended calorie intake to high but without realising it I was passing the 1800 mark :0(

I dont have any scales at home as I am living in another country short term (head back home to the UK in 6 weeks) so I have been using cup measures and I hate to say it ....guess work and assumption. I'm so disappointed that I've been working my ass of in the gym only to counteract it all by eating to much, however, I'm also extremely happy that I figured this out now and not later. From today I'm going to be shrinking all my food measures down.

One thing I will say though is that a suggested portion of rice is 1/2 cup however, thats 340 calories on its own! I've been having 1/4 cup for a serving but am going to reduce this a bit

Sorry to vent but I'm so annoyed at myself for thinking I new it all and I think my partner is getting a little tired my constant BFL chatter bless him

Sian x

I know that the really differences happen around week 8 for a lot of women so I'm

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh

• don't beat yourself up so much. It's not like you ate that and didn't do any working out. I'm sidelined for now due to not being able to get around with a broken big right toe...

also remember, people eat food, not numbers...do the best you can, some days you maybe hungrier than on others...you are working hard.

• Sian are you using a dry measure of rice or after it's been cooked?

1/2 cup cooked long grain brown rice is 108 calories, 22.5 carbs, 2.5 grams protein.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Sian,

Just curious as to your rice statement. What type of rice are you eating that you are seeing so many calories in a 1/2 cup? By your calculations, that would make your rice 680 calories a cup. Are you sure you are calculating that correctly?

The nutrition information on the back of the bag of rice is for uncooked rice. One cup of uncooked rice will yield about 3 cups of consumable rice. If you wanted 1/2 cup of consumable rice, you would only be using the nutrtion information for 1/4 cup of uncooked rice.

Depending on brand name/length of rice (long, short) the nutrition info for cooked brown and white rice is:

Brown rice, cooked, contains 109 calories, 0.8 gm fat, and 2.25 g protein per  1/2 cup.

White rice, cooked, containes 103 calories, 0.2 gm fat, and 2.15 g protein per 1/2 cup.

A 1/4 cup serving of cooked rice would not be a proper carb portion size, it would be too small.

Karen

• It's OK! All the work you put in the gym will benefit you no matter what you eat. But if you want to lose weight than try to follow BFL authorized foods as much as possible. The work you put into the gym is building your muscles and the way I like to think about it is - the bigger your muscles are, the more "little pac mans" they send out to eat up all the fat! Silly, I know but I like the analogy! (Are you old enough to remember Pac Man? Showing my age again!)

There is so much "learn as you go" that now that I'm in week 10, I can't wait for cycle 2, to do it so much better because of all the trial & error & learning from my mistakes and little tips I've learned along the way!

You can always get right back on track as soon as your next meal or workout! And leave the past behind!

Live   Love   Lift!

Dee :)

• My suggestion would be to stop worrying about calories and eat by portion size.  The size of the palm of your hand for protein, and the size of your balled up fist for carbs like rice.

Best of luck.

Dave

• thanks guys you cleared one thing up for me which it would be good for BFL to take not of, as I am unable to purchase the book (in another country moving about) I have been using the website which states 1/2 a cup but not whether cooked or uncooked. Thought 1/2 cup was a lot of rice so i've been using 1/4 cup uncooked good job I looked.

I hate counting calories and have no intention of doing it for the rest of my challenge but it was interesting to look at because it made me realise that I was kidding myself about the size of my hands lol! Yesterday I actually laid PART of a chicken *** on my palm to see how much i should be eating and it was at least half of what I have been eating!

Having said all that I am now on the right track and I figure at least I was eating too much of authorised foods rather than cheating and eating other stuff.

On with week 5!!

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh