a difficult question to ask.

• as per the topic i have a question im worried about asking and now i build up the courage to ask it

i have been a antidepressents for a while now after a car accident and life troubles had to turn to them for help.

so my question is as per most of these medications they make you gain weight.. I am wondering if anyone has done this 12 weeks while on them and know how much these will hamper my progress and results?

any thoughts about this would be great, was hard to addmit it but hoping for some positive answers to help :)

thanks

• Need A Change-Good for you to have the courage to ask; that's a great first step in getting in here and changing your life.

I believe that once you get into this program with meds or without, the gradual process will help you feel better about yourself and give you the confidence that you desire. That confidence may ultimately allow you to reduce or even eliminate your meds.

Don't think you will be on these for life...I've suffered from depression before, have been on meds and now I just take a min. dose of an anxiety medication. I feel amazing right now!!

And you know, you're never going to know about the results unless you do the full 12 weeks! So get out there and Make a Change!! Best wishes for your success!! =)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• My wife is on anti-seizure meds that made her gain a lot of weight.  She's down 100 lbs. from her heaviest, went from a size 18 to a size 6, and has maintained this fitness level for 4-1/2 years.  She works hard, eats clean, and gets great results!  You can do it too.  You have to remember to view this as a Life change.  If your progress goes a little slower because of your meds, then you need to concentrate on how good you're feeling and on the final goal.  That goal should be to be healthy and happy for the rest of your life, not just 12-weeks.  Take it one day at a time.  Get up every morning and tell yourself you're going to hit your 10's and you're going to eat clean today.  Then wake up tomorrow and do it again!  You can do this!

Dave

• Good morning Need A Change!  The beauty of putting yourself out there & asking the tough questions is that you start to see that you're not alone!  Both DebbieMO & Dave are right on!  I know one of the ways I view my new (for over a year now) BFL lifestyle is that it's a way to manage my mental health.  Of course every person is different, but the mental benefits of exercise & clean eating are documented & talked about all the time.  I've seen it in my own life with BFL.  I consider it my antidepressant.  I was on meds a few years ago & they helped me until I gradually figured out other ways to cope & manage my depressive tendencies.  It still creeps in, especially if I miss workouts, but after so many challenges (4) I've pretty much re-trained myself mentally to get right back up & keep moving.  I try to stay connected here on the website & have made some great supportive friends, DebbieMO among them, and that helps me more than I can express.  Like Dave said, try to look beyond just 12 weeks & before you know it, you'll have 2 or 3 or more challenges under your belt & you'll be happier & healthier for it! :o)

• Thank you for all the great replys and all so soon, yer i know its more then 12 weeks its a lifestyle change, just wasnt sure what a realist goal would be for first 12 weeks being on meds if you know what i mean.

but im staying positive:)

• I can't relate to your problem so I'm not really qualified to answer but... I'm so happy you decided to do BFL! I'm sure that by doing so much "good" for your body that you will get the feeling of "pride". You can't help but feel proud of yourself as days turn into weeks, and you look back and see how much you've accomplished! And when you feel good about yourself and what your doing it can only make things better!

Enjoy your BFL journey!

Live   Love   Lift!

Dee :)

• Hi Need A Change!

I agree with the take it one day at a time approach....I was on a med for severe depression when

I first started BFL....when you get in to the exercising and eating right you really notice a difference in how you feel and of course that helps, the only thing for me was that even though I was eating correctly I felt "starving", due I know now to the actual med I was on, which caused weight gain and hunger so that was changed, anyway.....I got so "into" BFL and look forward to exercising every day as it makes me feel so good....I guess another thing I can say is relax, go day by day and don't even try to think what's going to happen over these 12 weeks and beyond, just get in to it, you can do it!! all the best....

• Dear Need a Change~

I was going to write to you, and I see my husband Dave beat me to it! (Although I would like to add that I was more like a size 22, not 18! )

It was when I went on anti-seizure medication AND anti-depressant medication for seizures that I gained all my weight, so I was very skeptical that I could then LOSE weight on these same medications-but I am proof that you can. YOU CAN! I will never, ever forget going back to my neurologist after losing all the weight-he was amazed, and even took my hand and walked me out to the nurses station and said, "Look at this girl--she's lost all this weight while ON Depakote (My seizure medication.) You know, this told me that it's not easy to lose on medication, but it can be done.

I would like to tell you that I am still on my medications-and I am doing great. Do not feel bad about being on medications that allow you to lead a better life---be thankful...and then give your Body for LIFE endeavor all you've got.

You can do this--you truly can-and I would like to support you as you do.

All the best as your pursue your Body for LIFE!

Love, 

Amy

~To be great is not to be higher than another, but to lift another higher. 

• Thank you all for sharing with me what you have been thru as you know it wasnt easy to ask but after seeing how easy and freely you all replied im glad i did ask

im def taking it 1 day at a time, but as they you need to set some goals so just wondering what a achiveable goal would be

• as atm im about 105kg and 25% body fat at 6'1

im aiming to get body fat down not too worried about weight as much as i know fat will turn into muscle.

• I would think you could get down somewhere between 96 and 90kg in a 12-week challenge.  I hesitated to put a specific number on it though, because everyone's body (and meds play into it) is different.  Although I think you can get down between 96 and 90, it wouldn't shock me if you got even lower, or if you were around 100kg.  Bottom line shouldn't be the scale.  No matter what you weigh, pay more attention to how you feel, how your clothes fit, how much energy you have, etc..  The weight will come off eventually, but if you're feeling great and looking great, your weight won't matter nearly as much!

Best of luck!

Dave

• That's a great question. I have to take Prozac and I was thinking the same thing.

In my case I eat less carbohydrates. When I try to taper off I eat more carbohydrates. It all has to do with serotonin production....some of us have less available to keep our moods stable.

• bump - read through this thread Fit