supplements and Total Gym suggestions

• Hello all! I am ending my fourth week of the challenge. I am having a hard time with lower body work outs. I have a Total Gym at home (no gym membership) and I can't seem to get the lower body work out I need to get to the intensities necessary. The book says you can use your own body weight if you just increase the number of reps. How does that work if you are supposed to increase the weight with each new set of reps? Also, I do use the Myoplex Lite shakes and Zone Perfect bars for meal replacements. What type of supplement should I be using in conjunction with the meal replacements? My goal is to lose at least 10% body fat, about 20 lbs and get lean strong muscles. I am only 5'1 and don't want to bulk up by using the wrong kind of protein supplement. 

• khowe131, You are not going to bulk up.  You just won't.  Go through the photos of other women on this site for evidence.  What will happen is that your muscles will become more defined as you start to work them harder and eliminate the fat that is now covering them.  

Do a google search for bodybuilding and read diets recommended for bulking.  They are nothing like BFL.  

The calorie restriction of BFL will keep that from happening.

• Ok thanks.  Do u have any suggestions to which supplement to use?

• Hi khowe131!

I have a total gym and use it quite a lot. For lower body you can get a steel bar (I got mine at home depot in the plumbing section or you can buy it on line at the TG store) small enough to get weight plates on and add weights for squats. I put the TG on the tallest setting and I start with 120lbs and add 20 lbs each increase (10lbs on each side).

You can also do 1 leg at a time squat. I use the weight bar for calves too but I use their pilates bar so I get full motion of my calves OR lay on your belly and do a calf workout that way with the foot bench it comes with, just raise up high on your tippy toes and down.

I use the wing attachment for abs, put your feet through and do crunches or full sit ups changing the height settings but I don't use the weight bar for those (yet), they are plenty hard by themselves! And there are lots of upper body things you can do with the wing attachment!

and my husband and I also use these:

We use them at the top & bottom for different exercises.

We also have dumbbells up to 80lbs, weight bar and weights, a weight bench with leg attachments and preacher curl attachment and a stability ball, between all that we have lots of variety and we have it all covered! We love the Total Gym with this program!

For accessories go to: totalgymcatalog.com

Look on line and you can print out lots of exercises for the TG!

Have Fun!

Live   Love   Lift!

Dee :)

• hey thanks Dee!  I do have the steel bar and I have plates as well. I did the BFL program at the beginning of 2000. I was already into fitness and belonged to a gym, but I was looking for something different than what I was used to so I tried this program. It worked great! I didnt enter the challenge then and didnt have much weight or fat to lose, but it still made a difference. Even though I didnt continue the BFL after the 12 weeks, I still ate well and worked out. Five yrs ago my husband and I broke up and I just gave up fitness and good eating all together. I just didnt have the drive. So I gained about 25lbs since then. I couldnt find my original BFL book, but I was in a book store last month that had the Champion BFL book on clearance for 6.00! So I bought the book and started right away, and entered the challenge, and that  was on May 12, 2010.. I just started week 5 and so far I lost 5lbs. I havnt had my fat percentage checked yet. I do use the Myoplex drinks and bars, and I just ordered some of the EAS supplements. Anyway, I love the total Gym for upper body as well. I just may have to get some more plates to add on to the bar. I also have a recumbent bike which I use for cardio, and I just ordered the Power Blocks dumbbell set (I also love free weights for lower body).  So thanks for the suggestion of adding 10lb plates for each increase.. I will try that.. good luck !

• I don't think there are many BFL'ers that use the Total Gym but I love it and it's nice to know someone else uses it too! I bought the bicycle attachment but I'm not impressed and hopefully they will take it back. Other than that I love all the attachments!

Try Amazon for a used origional BFL book, it's great to have on hand for inspiration, information and the authorized food list!

Good luck on your journey!!!

Live   Love   Lift!

• bump

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Hi Deb!

What does bump mean???

Live   Love   Lift!

• Deirdre,

After about two years of doing BFL, I decided to mix up my workout and do some body weight exercises. I did the New Rules of Lifting for Women and a major difference in the lower body workouts was that it didn't work the muscle groups in isolation. I found lunges, done with our without dumbbells, and step ups shaped up my hips and thighs like nothing else...this was a huge eye-opener to me. You can do these exercises for your leg workouts and still do the BFL weight increments-try them-I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

As for the shakes and the bars-they are what I have used for over four years now. I eat the bars and shakes as my in-between meals, making breakfast, lunch an dinner come from whole food sources.

Have you ever visited the hussmanfitness.com site? A great source of caloric info there.

Good luck!

Amy

~To be great is not to be higher than another, but to lift another higher. 

• Amy,

I checked out your story on Mikes website, enjoyed the slide show, your daughters are beautiful! You too are beautiful and have this wonderful healthy glow about you! Great B&A!!! I'm also inspired by your years of maintenance!

Thanks for the tip! I change my exercises every 4 weeks and have done lunges & step ups and will defiantly do them again! I love the shakes & bars also and I love to cook! I understand (now) that I used recipes from Eating for Life too much and have now stopped. :(

My progress has been slower than I'd hoped but that won't stop me! Just going to take 2 cycles for me! I will also check out hussmanfitness.com site!

Thanks for all your help & motivation!

Live   Love   Lift!

• Deirdre,

Do not let your slow progress stop or deter you...keep on keepin' on...everything you are doing builds upon what you have done before. GOOD things are happening to that body of yours!

I walked 40 miles for Relay for Life this past weekend-I have never been so sore in all my life-going for a massage in about a half hour-something I usually look forward to once a month, today I'm not so sure-I'm just that sore-not to mention blistered and bruised-wow!

I'm so glad to find you here-let's keep in touch!

Amy

~To be great is not to be higher than another, but to lift another higher. 

• Hi Amy!

Thank you so much for your encouragement!

I can not even fathom walking 40 miles!!! WOW!!! What is Relay for Life?

I will keep in touch!

Thanks!

Live   Love   Lift!