New to BFL, need clarification to macros.

• Hi all, first nice site and everyone seems really helpful.  Something I can't say about other bodybuilding type websites.  They tend to be Prima-donna-ish.

About seven months ago, I decided to try again at 45 and get in shape.  I've worked my butt since then and today I noticed little advancement.  I'm a bit down at the moment, but I won't let this stop me from wanting to be in shape.  Tomorrow is another day and another opportunity to improve.  

I seem to have the largest problem with nutrition.  This seems to be my only real issue.  I'm much stronger than I was when I started, but I still have some fat around my middle, especially at my lower back - where most of us tend to store it.

The Entry Kit provided here by BFL says nearly nothing about macronutrients.  I read BFL about ten years ago, and I think I read it again after than (can't truly recall though).  The front site here says only one tablespoon of essential fat per day.  Is that right?  Only one?  Seems awfully low.  If that's the idea, then I'll follow it.  What about protein and carbs?  Is it still 1 gram per pound of body weight on each?  Is it recommended to go a bit lower on carbs? 

A portion is something the size of your hand or fist?  Seems an odd way to measure.  Better analogies, perhaps?

What I more used to is X amount of calories, of which X percentage is protein, X percentage is carbs and X percentage is essential fats. 

If someone could provide a better way for me to comprehend the guidance here, I'd greatly appreciate it.  This means an awful lot to me and I don't want to give up.  I really want to try BFL and do it 100% correctly.

Thank you all in advance.

~ HondoMan

• Hi There Hondo man

Bodyforlife is 40/40/20 plan thats

40% carbs

40% protein

20% fats

The main reason we are advised to count portions instead of calories is because basically most people get it wrong when it come to counting cals

Bodyforlife unlike hardcore bodybuilding is about taking away from the stress of angonises over the small details, its perfect in its imperfections

A portion is s guidline, some meals may be smaller than others but its the overall amount of the entire day that matters

If you want to be specific must men will do well to eat between 2000 and 2500 cals a day and girls should eat between 1200 and 1500

• The fist/palm measurement seems odd initally but your hands are generally in proportion to the rest of your body and therefore a good though precise way to measure pasta, meat etc. My fist sized portion as a women would be significant smaller thans yours and so is comparable to our difference in calorie requirements.

As sixpackmission said though BFL is about taking away the stress of not counting every single calorie and its worked for hundreds of people. I've found that the best thing to do with BFL is just go with it because you will get results. As you said what your doing now is working so try something new even if your brain doesnt understand how it will work :0)

Sian x

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh