Starting BFL June 7 - Who's in?!

• I need a group of people who are committed to helping each other stay motivated, encouraged, excited, and to help celebrate all of our successes!  Who's in?!

A little about me:

I've known about BFL since the late '90's and am absolutely amazed at the overall changes people are able to make in their lives (physically and mentally!)  When I first learned of the challenge I was relatively young (mid 20's) and probably the fittest I have ever been - so I didn't think it was anything I needed to follow. In retrospect, that would have been the best time for me to start working on and maintaining healthy habits!

A few years after I learned about the challenge, my husband and I were married.  As we got settled into our new life together - comfort, along with a few extra lbs, also set in!  I remembered the BFL challenge so I thought I would "try it out".  I ended up not really committing myself to it because after a week or two in, I didn't think I could do it - nor did I think it would actually work for ME, not to mention all of "great" excuses I came up with to not work out or plan my meals in advance.  What was I thinking?!

Fast forward a few more years (and a few more lbs!): I am now 36 yrs old.  My husband and I have been blessed with two beautiful children who are about 19 months apart and the joy of our lives. Our oldest just turned three and our youngest will be 18 months (almost to) the day I plan on starting the challenge.  After not taking care of myself like I should have been - I am 27 lbs heavier than I should or want to be. I recognize I am not setting the best example for our kids and I want to get my life back on track so I can be a better example for them - and be a happier me. 

My kids deserve better.  My husband deserves better. I deserve better.

My first steps:

• I registered to participate in a sprint triathlon in July (1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike, and 5k run) - I will be about 5 weeks into the program at that point. 
    • I plan on registering for another sprint triathlon in August - I will be about 11 weeks into the program at that point.

My stats: (I can't believe I am posting this - my husband doesn't even know how much I weigh!)

• 5' 7.5"  (yes, the .5" helps me feel better) :)
    • 167 lbs
    • Checking in at our local YMCA this week to see if someone can calculate my body fat % and take my measurements

Barriers I am anticipating (I am taking this week before the challenge to do some 'trial runs' to come up with ways to make it work)

• Making the time for me to get the exercise in when we have two little ones (I know it can be done - I just need help figuring out HOW!)
    • Correct nutrition - I, admittedly, am not too adventurous when it comes to food. I know what I like and stick with it. I am sure I will need to venture out a bit more in this area so I will need some EASY, declicious recipes the whole family can enjoy.
    • Getting enough sleep - I stay up way later than I should and often times only get betweem 3-6 hours of sleep each night. (Ex. If I go to bed right now I will get 4 hours of sleep tops)
    • Following through and not giving up on myself again.

I know I can overcome these barriers - I have to.  Any thoughts/ideas you have on HOW to overcome them are welcome! :)

I enjoy a good challenge and am looking forward to starting this new healthy chapter of my life!  I hope you will do it with me!!

• I'll be starting (again) on June 7th.  My wife & I did the program with a great deal of success almost 7 years ago.  We've tried a couple of times since then to do it again but have stopped anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks in for various (insert excuse here) reasons.  I'm hoping this time is a success like the first time was.

• i would like to stay in touch i will start the challenge with you

• I am planning to start on June 7th and would love some support and inspiration. I am so excited and looking forward to getting into the best shape of my life!

• Hi everyone! I'm starting the program June 7 as well. I have never tried the program before but I've unsuccessfully tried so many other things. I've seen others successes and am excited to see a transformation in myself. I'd love to connect with a few others to help with motivation along the way.

• Hi everybody, I would like to join too, I am a 37 yrs old mom with 2 kids (1 yr baby and a 6 yrs boy). My story is that I am just quiting a 8 weeks plan from a Gym here named Sports World, I went there the last 4 weeks, they gave me a diet (in which I have to use points table for food, and I hate it) and a personal trainer who send me 2 and a half hours training (60 mins running everyday!), yesterday I saw NO changes at all and I started to be really depressed. This plan was really expensive and difficult for me and it is not working!!

Then I remember years ago I tried BFL but I stopped it because of a family trip, I remember I did BFL 4 weeks and my body changed a lot in this short time, I loved it, I felt so motivated, beautiful and inspirated that I decide to quit the other and start BFL again, no matter if I loose what I have paid.

Now I know I can do this by myself, I believe in BFL and I want to try!!!!

This is a week to manage all the details to start next june 7, great to start this with you all!!!!

• I'm starting June 7th as well!! I am confused about the different machines I can use for  my upper body workouts...I hate free weights...any suggestions?

• I am in!!  I will be start on June 7 too!  I am a supermom of 3 kids and will be turning 40 in October.  I have been working my butt off in the gym and not getting any results.  With this program I will actually spend less time in the gym that I do now.  I have signed up to do the MS150 in October to celebrate my birthday, with my new body!!

• Count me in too.  I am 46, have tried P90X in the past, stopped at the 5 week mark.  I am tall, 76 inches, but have gained weight and currently 250.  I want to lean out and get down to 220-225.  A friend of mine at work has used it and loves it, he is a Marine.  Lets DO IT.  I like some P90X terms, so BRING IT. Also, found a nice APP for the ITOuch, Iphone, called 12 week Fit, .99 Cents, that you can track your workouts and the X in the blocks each week.  

• Is June 1st still in the Round 3 of 2010 challenge?

• I just wanted to post to y'all that you CAN do this.  Commit first to yourself then to each other that you will finish.  Then honor these self promises and tell yourself that you will not break them and you will not lie to yourself.

The first time I did this I had 3 children and we were homeschooling them. I also worked about 25-30 hours a week.  You can do this even with busy schedules.  PLAN, PLAN, PLAN.

One thing I would encourage you all to do is read the BodyforLife book cover to cover and answer the questions after some thought and meditation.  It is well worth the effort and helps with your understanding of the program and your commitment to it and yourself.  Also, do it by the book just trust the program and it will work.

As someone on here says "Eat clean--workout dirty"  and you will have success.  

ROCK IT ALL OF YOU!!!!  I can't wait to see all of you success stories at the end of your challenges.

• The round dates are for sorting purposes by EAS-Abbott.  You can start a challenge at any time.

• This whole forum is for people who are committed to helping each other stay motivated, encouraged, excited, and to help celebrate all of our successes!  I do, however, understand wanting to be in touch with those who are on the same challenge week.  :-)

Be sure to look around the other threads as there is a lot of info shared on this site.  You can easily do a search at the top of the website and it will bring up info from EAS and threads where a certain subject was discussed.

Best wishes everyone!

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Just adding my two cents...teams and groups are great!  Luckily if you keep coming back to this forum you will more help and encouragement then you can imagine.

But never lose sight of the fact that this is up to you.  If you want it badly enough, you'll do it.  If not, no amount of encouragement  will make it happen.

You're all ready to take the first step.  Now go out  and do it!!

Remember   Lift Heavy!

10's in exercise and nutrition = 10's in life

• My post is directed at Tenacious.  What you are doing is commendable.  I ask that you keep in mind that Body-for-LIFE is a great program in and of itself.  I understand your desire to participate in the sprint tri's but I also advise you to err on the side of caution. 

I'm guessing that you are just getting back in to the fitness groove after several years off.  Your body will need time to adjust to the new training and it's going to be tiring.  I want you to realize that adding the Tri training on top of full on BFL is going to be very physically challenging to a body that's been at rest. 

Be aware of that and if you start becomming overly fatigued, you may want to push out the tri training until you've completed the challenge.  By the 8th week of a challenge, you will develop fatigue from the workouts and food intake as your body starts burning more body fat for fuel and it's a tiring process.  It's all relative to what your personal goals are.  Just keep in mind that more is not always better. 

Now go get 'em!!

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory