Anyone "older" females starting week of May 30th?

• Hi!

I am a 46 year old army wife who needs to find the shape that I am pretty sure is buried under the shape I am not so happy with seeing in the mirror.

I think humor and friendship are the best ways to stay motivated...and there are days that nothing is funnier than me on the treadmill...and I'd love to find other "older" females starting around the same week who would be interested in being "workout buddies". 

Karen

• Hi Karen,

I think I qualify as an "older" female - I'm 59 and had started the plan today, but not taken my photos. I was hoping that another "group" was starting this week (Have you seen the group that started May 17? James is sort of coaching the group, and I had hoped that someone would do the same for this week.) Maybe I should start next week with you.

Pat

Pat

Exercising, eating right are hard. Being fat, out-of-shape and unhealthy is hard.

Pick your HARD! 

• I'm not starting today but I'm 49 years old.  Age is not a factor so anyone in a challenge can help you along.  That's what we are all here for.  Anytime you have a question, just ask away.  This works! :-)  You can click on my profile name and see my story/progress.

Good luck Ladies, you can do this!

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Hi Pat - I haven't seen the group that started May 17th.  I haven't taken my photos yet either but I did take my measurements and frankly that was enough agony for one day! haha

Why don't you coach a group? You can start with me as your first recruit!  There is nothing more motivating than being in charge. =)

How did you hear about BFL? Many years ago when we were stationed in Louisiana my neighbor began the program. I was an avid runner back then and she was doing BFL. I honestly though it sounded a little "gimicky" but she was really into it. As a runner I was running 25-30 miles a week and had no weight issues and could eat pretty much anything I wanted so changing my routine wasn't on my radar. Then my 40's arrived, and a stress fracture in my foot slowed my mileage way down, and then getting my Master's decreased my motivation to exercise even more, and year after year the weight crept on. I was fondly thinking about my "glory days" of running about a week ago and remembered my neighbor and decided to go by the library and check out the BFL book. It is definitely not "gimicky"  and I am really excited about the program and can't wait to get started!

Karen

• Hi Karen.  I'm 35 but I have teenagers so that automatically makes me old (just ask my daughter) :).  I just finished my first challenge this last Sunday the 23rd and am so thrilled with the results I am jumping right back in and starting my second challenge on the 31st.   There really isn't a need for a "coach".  This entire site is a coach!  There are several champions and experienced BFL'ers here that are so kind and willing to give support, motivation and even tough love when needed.   You are in good hands my friend!  Now lets get pumped up to rock this challenge!

Heather

• Thank you Heather!  For goodness sakes, take your before photos!  They'll look bad to you now but they will be priceless down the road, trust me.

• OK...I am going to take my before photos today. I am going to cringe, find some reasonable excuse to explain them....and there will probably a very good argument for putting a padlock on the ice cream freezer before I see them...but I will take them. =)

Karen

• Hey Karen, I clicked on your post to see what age we are when we are considered "older"  I think maybe we are more "women of a certain age" :)  Anyway I am in the 8th week of the challenge and have found MUCH motivation on this site.  Be brave and stuff yourself into that bikini, you will prob not like what you see but it will steele your resolve if you are feeling a little on the fence.  Mine are horrible and im not really sure at this point if I will ever share them.... maybe.   Oh, I too am 46yrs old but with the exception of the weight really don't feel it.   Well anyway, welcome!!  jill

• Share your photos when you are ready.  They are for you mostly.  It took me months before I was ready to show myself and even then I cut my face out of the photos. :-)  I looked horrible and my back side was the worse (all those rolls!) but it's all gone now. :-)  Get on board ladies, you can do this!

• Hi Jill - I love that - "women of a certain age"!  It sounds so Jane Austen! haha

Hi HeatherC - While 35 sounds so joyously young to me....yes, having teenagers automatically qualifies you as being "older" at least in their eyes! teehee  What a great example you are showing your daughter by setting challenges and reaching your goals. I know from experiencing/raising our oldest daughter (age 25) that there is no better example for a teenage girl's self image than her mother, even though right now our younger (teenage girl age 15) would rather die than admit that she even HAS a mother. And yes....we had them 10 years apart which apparently shows that my lack of quality decision making goes WAY back in time! haha =)

Karen

• Hey Armywife,

Read your bio.  I'm a military brat/former military wife.  Been to all those places you listed.  Germany twice. :-)

• I'm always doing BFL and always on the site helping others.  

But at 47 I'm far from being or even feeling old.  Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind it doesn't matter.  

I've seen many women in their late 40's, 50's and even some in their 60's have beautiful challenge results.  

Be sure you've read the original BFL book and that you understand the program basics.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them.  We're all here to help.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• I'm starting to think I used the wrong word when I said "older" so I will seek to clarify - I don't think age is really an issue at all, and I don't feel old either, but I do think when you are looking for support it does help to have someone who is in your same "life span" cheering for you.

My daughter (in her 20s) is going to do the BFL also and she has a completely different lifestyle, life issues, and life goals than I do. We will support each other of course, but when it comes to keeping each other motivated it will be harder for her to understand a 46 year old woman with hormonal issues and two kids, who cooks full dinners each night, cleans the house, does 36 thousand loads of laundry every week, and is a mom/taxi driver to a teenager...when her biggest challenges on the program will be balancing work with school, packing her lunch for the next day, getting to the gym after work, trying to avoid eating out constantly with her friends, and of course, avoiding the allure of the buffalo wings and cold beer they will all be enjoying! hehe

None of her challenges will be hurdles for me, and visa-versa. I expect to see changes in both of us and for both us us to respond postively to the program, but I don't think we will walk the same journey or be motivated and encouraged by the same things/people. It's not about focusing on being old, its about finding people who understand your path and being able to hopefully help them as much as they can help you.

I'm hoping I explained that better. =)

• Yep, been there, done all of that myself and still prepare two seperate meals most nights.  Hubs hasn't completely converted to healthy eating so there is one meal at night about 25% of the time.  The rest of the time, it's me eating egg whites and spinach and him eating his meal.   Hopefully that will get better once the youngest is off to college in the fall.

The thing to remember is that this is doable.  It's not always going to be easy but again, it's doable.  I think you'll surprise yourself.

One of my favorite BFL moments was out running my son to the car through a parking lot. ;o)

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Hi Karen,

Im 36yrs old and would love to start the challenge with you guys! I am the same as NOT wanting to post before pictures of me but I figure that is why I am on this challenge so hopefully when I am done you will be albe to see a HUGE difference. Did you say you were starting Monday?

Sandy