Starting BFL 31 May 2010

• I'm starting on same day too - 1st BFL challenge (this year!)

• I'm going to try to stay positive and hopefully will last to week 8 where I have experienced the 8 week wonder before.  I'm a 44 year old woman who is finding it nearly impossible to lose weight easily anymore.  I have to lose about 20 lbs.

• AllysonJune, Hey I just wanted to let you know that when I started my challenge 8 weeks ago I too a huge sweet tooth.  The hardest days were the first 3 during which I had a massive head ache that I could not get rid of (this was my body detoxing the sugar and probably the fat too)  after that the headaches went away and seems my cravings were steadily decreasing..now no cravings.  It is not that I don't want certain things sometimes I just don't need them.  I know others have posted the same type of thing on the forum pages too.  Jump in..it won't take long and that need to feed will be gone.  Have a great challenge all!!

• My husband and I are starting the program tomorrow! We are both excited! I am 49 and know I want this, I want to be in the best shape of my life! We have exercised on and off in the past with never a real plan but this time feels different because along with the motivation we have a plan. We spent time in the gym last week setting goals and figuring out the routine and what weights we will use so we are ready to make it happen. My son is in Iraq and he tells me how he is shaping up in his spare time over there and we want to look awesome to him when he returns home instead of the fatties we were when he left! LOL

• My husband and I are starting the program tomorrow! We are both excited! I am 49 and know I want this, I want to be in the best shape of my life! We have exercised on and off in the past with never a real plan but this time feels different because along with the motivation we have a plan. We spent time in the gym last week setting goals and figuring out the routine and what weights we will use so we are ready to make it happen. My son is in Iraq and he tells me how he is shaping up in his spare time over there and we want to look awesome to him when he returns home instead of the fatties we were when he left! LOL

• My best wishes to all of you starting this week.  10 weeks ago I was 29 pounds heavier and in a big old funk about it.  I had done BFL a few years ago and got to a good weight and just let go of the good habits.  My mind is in a different place already this time and I know that my body will gladly store the fat if I give it the chance.

Here are a few more things to consider:

1.  Clear the crap food out of your house.  Having it there can make it too easy to slide.  If others in your house are not eating healthy now like you, ask them to keep their garbage out of your sight.  Seriously.

2.  Plan and prepare food for the week.  Know what you are going to be eating every day.  Use a day to batch cook entrees and put them in the fridge or freezer in cheap dollar store containers.  

3.  Eat your veggies!  Your intestines and colon with thank you.  I don't like veggies at all but I gobble them down like a good boy.  I have eaten more broccoli and green beans in the last 10 1/2 weeks than I had in the previous 10 years.  Fiber is your friend.  Oh, and fruit juice is not a fruit and vegetable juice is not a vegetable...eat the whole things.

4.  Plan for emergencies.  Get good quality protein bars (not energy bars) and keep them in the car or desk at work or purse so you don't have an excuse to miss meals or make bad choices.  Or you can find recipes to make your own protein bars.

5.  Make working out a priority.  

6.  Get your 8 hours of sleep in.  Great chemical stuff happens when you sleep.

7.  Don't think you will get advanced results by eating less, your growing muscles need the energy.

8.  Don't cheat yourself on your intensity levels, you will not do yourself any favors by giving yourself a break.

9.  Now for the good stuff, every day celebrate that you are getting healthier by the minute.  You are finally treating your body with respect.  Every ounce of fat that you lose and every increase in weights that you lift are cause for much joy.  

10.  Smile more and walk taller.

My best wishes for health, happiness and discipline to you all.  It will be worth it.

• I start on Monday, May 30th.  So glad to have the great tips and the company.

• I am starting tomorrow and  I am glad so many others are too. Good Luck to us all!!!

• Thanks  That was awesome! I start tomorrow

• Hi All!

I'm psyched up! I decided to buy the journal (and commit $25.95 to the journey!) rather than try to print pages from online. It looks like the journal gives lots of extra structure that I think I will need.

Looking forward to hearing all your progress as we travel together.

My stats:

Female, 59 years young

Height: 5'6.5"

Weight: 189

Body fat: 30% by my scale

Reasons for being here:

• Get out of size 16s that are tight and into size 10s for a start.
    • I sail and recently hurt my left knee, and am scared that my excessive weight contributed to that.
    • I'm just tired of being "heavy", "overweight", "fat", "obese".

Good eating and great changes to all of us!

Pat

Exercising, eating right are hard. Being fat, out-of-shape and unhealthy is hard.

Pick your HARD! 

• sailinwench, I use the journal as well.  It is nice to have everything in one place and you probably save money considering how much printer ink costs  :)

For my next challenge I will make a new sheet that has food and workout all on one page.

• JamesK - That was really great advice.  The only thing I would add is to set reminders for your scheduled meal times on your cell phone and computer calendars at home and work.  It is very important to get those meals timed right (2-3 hrs apart) to keep your metabolism going.  Don't forget to drink your 80-96 oz of water per day.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• James,

I think I read in BFL (or maybe it's "diet bunk" from elsewhere? I've read a lot of diet books in the past months!) that they don't recommend losing more than 1.5 - 2 pounds per week, but it looks like you've lost about 3 pounds a week.

I am at about 30% body fat, and would be happy to lose 3 pounds a week for the whole challenge, but wonder if that's a reasonable expectation or not. Does BFL work enough differently that you can safely lose 3 pounds a week (seems like I saw some champions losing 3 pounds a week also)?

In the same vein, I was looking at goal setting and in one of the books an example was given of a goal of losing x pounds of fat and gaining x pounds of muscle. How do we calculate that? If I have a net loss of 5 pounds, how do I know if it's a loss of 10 pounds of fat and gain of 5 pounds of muscle, or a loss of 5 pounds of fat? I asked this elsewhere on the board, but you seem like! one who would know!

Thanks!

Pat

Exercising, eating right are hard. Being fat, out-of-shape and unhealthy is hard.

Pick your HARD! 

• I started today C1W1D1 UBWO1  and I've got a question...

On a few of the exercises I definately hit a level 9 with my last set of 12 reps.  I then moved immediately into a different exercise for the same body part using the same weight that I hit a nine with the last set of 12 reps.  And I absolutely could NOT DO the second exercise. Or I could do only a couple of reps.  This happened on three of my body parts. What am I supposed to do about this?  Next time am I supposed to use a different weight when I move to the second exercise? Or just do the few reps I can do?  Or try to choose a different second exercise?

THANKS in advance...

• sailinwench, you are absolutely correct about the general advice to lose about 1-2 pounds per week.  My big drop came the first week as I lost water weight I suppose.  Here is how my weight came off:

Week 1 - 7 pounds

Week 2 - 3 pounds

Week 3 - 2 pounds

Week 4 - 3 pounds

Week 5 - 2 pounds

Week 6 - 2 pounds

Week 7 - 3 pounds

Week 8 - 2 pounds

Week 9 - 2 pounds

Week 10 - 3 pounds

You can see that my first week I had a big loss of water weight as I dropped the excess salt from my body and started drinking alot of water.  That first week raised my average, but subsequent weeks have been steady.

The advice for 1-2 pounds per week is solid, and also depends on your start weight.  I started at 221 pounds.  So for me 2-3 pounds a week is still healthy.  Sure I would want more, but I am quite happy to even see 1 pound  a week.

I have to believe that BFL done properly with discipline does boost your metabolism.  Spacing apart 6 meals a day with nutritious/low calorie/small portions in addition to exercise keeps things rolling along.  It is important that you continue to increase your intensity during the challenge to keep the momentum.

I started with a high point of 6.5 mile per hour on the treadmill and now my high point is 9.5 or even 10 miles per hour.  Keep raising the bar for yourself on cardio and weights throughout your challenge.

YOU CAN AND WILL DO THIS!