Achievement this morning - amazing what we believe

• Hey all

Just wanted to tell you all about some changes that have happened with my workouts over the last 6 months to encourage everyone to try something even if you believe you cant do it.

So until about 6 months ago I had always told myself that "I can't workout in the morning I have no energy", however, when i moved from the UK to Australia I really didnt want to be slaving in the gym of an evening with the beautiful summer going on outside. So with that as my motivation I moved my workouts to the morning and actually really enjoyed it.

However, I always ate before my workout as I told myself "I cant work on an empty stomach I'll have no energy". About 6 weeks ago I was talking to a trainer at my gym who said research had shown if you talk a long (45 min) steady walk first thing in the morning before breakfast but take flaxseed oil and a fat metaboliser your body will take almost all the energy for the walk from its fat stores. This mention of fat stores motiviated me to give it ago despite telling myself "I'll be starving before I leave I'm always hungry when I wake up". funnily enough I wasn't starving and actually felt energised all day.

Having been dieting and working out for nearly six months on and off, (the off being when i have a "Bad" day and then let myself slide for a few days and undo all my good work) I have decided to put my heart and soul into completing this challenge - to the letter. And so this morning, despite everything I have told myself in the past, I got up  and went to the gym without eating, I completed my lower body weights routine even increasing some of my weights from my workout last week and you know what it was no different to when I eat before.

My point being here guys ignore everything you've ever told yourself before the challenge "I can't do it", "I don't know how to lift weights", "I'm not fit enough", "I'll never look like that" or my personal favourite "I can't lose weight" because you can do all those things and more you just have to take the first step and try - when you do you'll be amazed at what you can achieve.

Sian

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh

• Thank you for this important reminder.  You have talked me into trying to workout in the morning before eating breakfast.  You're not the first person to recommend this, I guess I just let that advice slide. I'm going to stop giving into my own excuses and try something new!  Thanks for the challenge. :-))))

"No More Excuses...No More Wasted Time!"

• Thank you for your post! I am going to be switching up my work schedule in a few weeks, and my goal is to change my workouts to the early morning as well. I also worry a lot about not being able to get it in before work, but it boils down to one thing. Sleep. There's no reason why I can't just hit the hay an hour earlier and get up in time to workout before going to work. You have inspired me! Woohoo!

• Sian, way to go on taking that step of stepping out of the box and trying something new! I'm an early workout person cause in the past there was always something in the way of me working out in afternoons/evenings. Getting up at 4:50 every morning and getting that workout done (with no interruptions) has helped me tremendously with my energy levels during the day.

So Blessed5 and Erica, go for it! Give it some time, make it a habit and Enjoy! :)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Nice post Sian and so true - we are what we believe. Set the bar high and enjoy reaching and exceeding it over and over with new goals and new expectations of yourself.

• Awesome way to throw away what you've been told and what you've told yourself.

Even on this forum you will receive contradictory advice...that's OK though we've all had different experiences.  The best thing is to do what you have and try things for yourself.  Test out assumptions and adapt based on your results.  

There are some things that are tried and true and proven with scientific evidence.  I am a skeptic and always research ideas before changing things.