Words or Phrases that ought to be banned!

• I do lots of reading in my work, and I also get most of my news on the web these days--and though the web is great and instantaneous and all, there is a ton of writing on there that is put up hurriedly, under the bizarre presumption that being first is more important than being accurate and relevant.  Much of this rushed writing is made up of trite words or phrases that are used so often that they have lost their meaning. Here, in the news world, are a few phrases that should be taken out and shot!

1. "Shovel ready." I wish someone would take that shovel and bury this phrase with it!

2. "Boots on the ground." Personally, I like boots, but I think we do better in wars or disaster relief if we have people on the ground, don't you?

3. "In this economy."  I live in Michigan--there IS NO economy here!  We are all unemployed and mad as hell! And the phrase never means anything anyway, because what we do in a bad economy is the same thing we do in a good one, just more carefully.

4. "Stimulus package."  Good Lord, don't even get me started on that one!

Well, that's it for the world at large, but what about fitness phrases that oughta be taken out and shot too? Here are a few of my nominees:

1. "Spot reducing." Unless you are talking about someone's dog on a diet, there is NO SUCH THING!

2. "Fitness boot camp." This is just plain wrong and stupid on so many levels I don't know where to begin. HEY!  "on so many levels" is another trite phrase that oughta be banned--don't you think? Where was I?

3. Any phrase that makes it sound like we couldn't help ourselves--almost like our brains were invaded by aliens or something. Here are a few from the forum: "What the hell????" (You KNOW what the hell--you just don't want to admit it!) "I can't believe this happened again!!!!"  Sounds like this "author" thinks that the more exclamation points there are, the more likely we are to believe that she was FORCED to overeat and drink.   This is my favorite, though: "I need to vent! I know I shouldn't have weighed, but I couldn't help it and.........." Hmm. I can see it now, those scales with the built in force field sucking our hero right onto the foot pads and forcing him to stand there until they regurgitate the bad news.  And as for "venting," the only thing I know that venting is guaranteed to accomplish is to make some people think we are victims!

This has been fun. Was it good for you you? All I know for sure is that I feel better after this rant! Did I just vent? Did I make this weird?

• Glad you feel better ! You didn't make anything weird. Weird has been here all along........

As always, you make a great point. We easily become desensitized to really important things after hearing it too often.  The one that makes me cringe to the core in the news is to hear how children in the USA are so fat now. No one even blinks hearing that anymore. We need to set the example and not let another day go by allowing this to continue! Feed our children well!! Teach them what we are learning as we go thru the program! thats my rant for the day

Squats

• Good rant BFLmike,  seems we live in a sound bite society (quick news with plenty of victims). I am feeling that boot to my bum already--think I'll just go get on the tread mill where I belong.  have a good day

• Great post Mike!  And so true!  Something I always tell my kids is you are only a victim if you allow yourself to be one.  That applies in ever aspect of life.   Never whine or make excuses....instead be willing to learn, educate yourself and better the situation.

• Here's what I've learned that is the most prevelant of late.  There is a bunch of trying, whining, complaining and not a whole lot of "I'm doing this because I can and I get to".

I'm a lifer, some think "oh it's easy for her, she's a Champion".  It's not any easier for me other than I've committed to myself and I honor my self promises and I make no excuses when I make poor choices, I own them.  

It's YOUR choice to do or do not...trying doesn't cut it.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• "Do or do not...there is no try." - Jedi Master Yoda   :)