Need Help from Sr. Challenger...I'm scared to death!

• I don't mean to sound over dramatic but I'm really scared.  I began my first challenge today, and according to all the reading I've done, I definitely did everything by the book.  But here's the problem.  I felt very, very full all day long!  My weight issue comes more from inactivity rather than eating too much.  (Not to say that I didn't eat bad things...I've just never been a big portion eater.)  I planned and ate the correct foods 6 times today.  I am positive that my portion sizes were correct.  I also drank all TEN (8oz) glasses of water.  All of this was spread out between 7:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

I'm scared because I want to do this by the book but I'm terrified of gaining weight.  (Not from muscle of course, just the bad kind.)  Is this typical for a beginner who is used to only eating 3 meals a day with a couple of small snacks to feel so full?  Is it the water that's making me feel so full and I'll get used to it?

My cardio workout went great today but by the end, I felt like I was sloshing (I was still so full of water) and my stomach was really uncomfortable.  I'd really appreciate knowing if anyone else went through this...if my body will get used to it...or should I make the normal portion sizes smaller (and will this effect my body from losing appropriately?)

I'm really not scared to change my habits for the better (quite the opposite actually, I know I can do all of this) but I didn't expect the uncomfortable fullness I felt today. This is what scares me into thinking that I'm going to gain weight.   Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!  THANKS!

"No More Excuses...No More Wasted Time!"

• Blessed5,

Don't worry, be happy! You have started something good, congratulations! It will take some time to adjust. Feeling full, headaches (in some cases withdrawals from sugar), nausea etc can be experienced in the first few days. Please stay on the path with the 6 meals per day to avoid the wild swings in insulin; do maintain your water intake, this is a must; perhaps reduce the portion sizes a little at each meal for now and when you start to feel hungry before your next meal, increase the portion sizes again; make sure you strive to hit your 10's on the cardio and weights (you are yet to do a weight session?); try to schedule your sessions first thing in the morning before your 1st meal (I do cardio first thing but weights mid-afternoon - this is how it works for me but many do all their workouts early).

As you progress, you will become more aware of what your body needs in terms of food quantity. Please also remember that eating too little can also be damaging because your body will go into starvation mode if it is not getting enough proper food, will hang on the the fat and consume muscle, which is what you want to build so that your metabolism increases.

Keep the faith, this does work but you need to follow these fundamentals to get the most out of it.

Good luck.

• Congratulations for starting Body for Life! My first day was very similar, I was surprised at how FULL I felt all day! Drinking enough water and eating regularly wasn't what my body was used to, for sure. But, here I am in week 2 and already I feel much better! Eating smaller meals regularly throughout the day has been great, I don't ever get hungry, and I don't overeat. Stick with it, your body is just adjusting...

• As soon as your metabolism kicks up (within a week) you'll be hungry by your next meal.  The small portions keep your body going, and the increase in lean muscle tissue increases your metabolism even when you're resting.  Keep going and you'll be hungry before long!  :-)

• Everything sounds pretty "normal" to me.  As others said you are now treating your body differently and you have to go with the flow.

Remember, those six meals that you are now eating are nutritious fuel for your body.  You need that stuff to get your workouts in and show your body that you are not depriving it.

Best of health and discipline to you.

• I also felt full during my first week of my challenge.  It dissipates really quickly though, don't stress.

• Several things you need to know: 1. The scales WILL NOT move much the first few weeks, and you should keep track of progress by measuring, not weighing daily. Eating six small meals a day will help you to both burn fat and gain lean dense muscle which is why the scales don't drop dramatically. 2. Revving up your metabolism takes a while, due to the need to activate and grow muscle in order to do so. 3. If you eat the meals in the portions recommended plus using excellent quality proteins and low glycemic carbs, you will not be gaining fat. 4. To be effective, your exercise sessions should be infrequent and intense. That means 20 minutes of high intensity cardio, not hours of bobbing up and down on an elliptical, and lifting heavy weights 3 days a week, rather than "bell ringing" motions with the Jane Fonda weights! If you do all this, you'll see results!

• And to add to Mike's post, as a female I've found it helpful to measure in multiple places, not just chest, waist, and hips.  Measuring the "problem areas" can be a great way to see progress and stay motivated.  Your waist might not move one week, but that poochy part under your belly button might!  Be creative in your measurements, but be accurate and consistent in where you measure.  

• I think it's amazing how most people (including my old self) had this misconception that you have to starve your self to loose weight.  Think of BFL as becoming naturally thin and fit.  You fuel your body with good clean whole foods and you use your muscles to get strong and burn calories.  This is not a diet, it's a foundation to a healthy fit life.  Stick with the program and you will get the results you are looking for.  Be positive and trust in it.  It works, I'm living proof!

Rachel

• I felt the exact same way in the beginning.  I called a friend and told her no way this would work.  I was eating way MORE than I ever did before.  I was stuffed and had to almost force myself to eat because I wasn't hungry in 3 hours.   I now realize that was because my metabolism was moving at a snails pace due to years of yo-yo dieting.   It will gradually get better as your metabolism starts working.  You will be able to time 3 hours without looking at a clock.   Somewhere around week 8 I started to have to eat every 2 - 2 1/2 hours instead of 3.  That's when I knew my body was finally working properly and I started just melting away.  I've lost 3 inches in the last 2 weeks and still have 2 weeks to go!  Keep at it!

• You all made me feel so much better!  

Adam Ausie - Due to our families Little League baseball schedule, it was necessary for me to make a slight change to my workout schedule.  I started my first day with cardio and will proceed with my weight training today (and back and forth from here on out, like the book says.)

BFLMike - Just so you all know, I do not plan on weighing myself for a couple of weeks, (I have kicked the daily weighing habit years ago! lol) but the feeling scared came more from the fact that I feel so full.  

Courtney - I too, have measured several areas of my body for my beginning information.  I know I'll more than likely see more results from inches rather than weight and I'm okay with that.  Thanks!

Heather - I appreciate your thoughts about our working (or non-working) metabolism.  This definitely makes sense to me now, I hadn't even considered that being part of the problem.

I definitely plan on sticking to this all BY THE BOOK, (eating six, etc.) I guess I just needed to know that others may have experienced the same thing and it still all worked out in the end the way the Body For Life program says it will.  THANK YOU ALL again so much.  I feel calmer already. :-))

"No More Excuses...No More Wasted Time!"