BFL Coffee Crew!

• Hey Frick Glad to read your voice.

I know you spent a lot of time building that fantastic pool of yours, so I hope you were just hanging out by it all summer long. Glad the eating is staying clean and hope the exercise is going OK as well.

It was a cardio intense summer for me and now I am trying to convert more of that effort back into a weight program to finish the year since I started my 1st BFL ( as you know - Jan 9th - right!?!) Anywy glad you are still around.

Bryan way to run it. Hope the marathon training is still on target.

Opti I know you are hitting it on all cylnders. It is so cool to hear you talking about % BF versus a number on a scale.

I know that means that you are close to where you want to be, I am not quite there yet...I think 10 more lbs then I will be thinking the same way. This fall I hope to be back to building up a little moe muscle bulk.

Mosher and Tonja...you ladies still going strong. Your not joining Frick by the bon bon truch are ya...

Be strong group!

I am not going to tell you that it will be easy ... I am going to tell you that it will be worth it!

• Morning Run!

Still going strong here on week 8 of my 2nd challenge.....I notice much more definition on my 2nd than my 1st challenge.  UBWO this morning done...I have became a morning person on this challenge too.  I am usually at the Y at 5am during the weekdays.  I am focusing on BF% on this one too.  I could always eat cleaner, but it is still sooo much better than it was.  Glad to here you are doing well too.  

I saw Frick on the forum the other day too.   I was thinking of his stevia plants and wondered how that was going too.

Mosher...are you a gym rat yet?

Have a good week all!

• Yes, Gang ,I am still kicking.  

No, Run, no Bon-Bons for me - and no rest for the wicked.  I am still finding stuff to do around the pool, although the motivation is lower than when I had contractors right behind me to do their work.  This week I laid some extra pavers around one of the planters to add about 100 sq ft of deck space.  Sure it was so I could put a hammock up and have ANOTHER excuse to lay around the pool, but the workout and stretched hammies counted towards my cardio for the day.

Tonja, Glad to hear C2 is going well for you.  Pretty soon it will just be C-infinity, Stevia plants are still growing well, but I found it more feasible and palletable to buy the Stevia in the Raw.  Grinding the leaves and sprinkling them in my coffee was not as cool as I thought it would be.  Not to mention the flakes stuck in my teeth, LOL!

Rock on Coffee Crew!

• Tonja - way to stay strong week 8 almost done with another cycle na as Frick was saying to BFL infinity and beyond. I bet the BF is low...you have a target in mind. 5 AM morning person. Now you have made it habitual. Way to re-arrange the prioirities to make it the best start of the day!

Frick glad you are enjoying the pool project a little...there is always something else to do on a project...like it never ends.

This year is my daughter's senior year...so starting in November it will be hot and heavy into more house projects to get it all ready for the big open house graduation party in June...(big here in michigan land...almost like a wedding [well not quite but close]). Well that is a good excuse to get the place back up to code with some new fun stuff to boot.

My daughter is starting indoor soccer and insanity in a couple weeks and she threw down a challenge to me. I won't be doing these but will be getting more serious again...it has been a little bit soft here for a few weeks. Time to crank it again.

Mosher (gym rat) you lifting to much to type here? Missin ya 'man' Hope it is all good.

Bryan I know you backed off a little on the running is the Marathon training still on trak...I think I read somewhere that you felt you were still on schedule for the upcoming race.

Opti - I know you are doing well keep going!

Be strong Crew...

I am not going to tell you that it will be easy ... I am going to tell you that it will be worth it!

• had a good UBWO yesterday and feeling the DOMS this morning.  Changing up a couple of the lifts to keep things interesting.  Followed it up with a verrrrry long walk around the theme park with my daughter last night (and early this morning) but beer intake probably made that a net-zero gain.  Also feeling that one in my calfs.  Legs were already hurting from Wed night soccer practice for my son.  I ran a couple of laps beforehand without warming up - won't do that again.  Stretch, stretch, stretch.  Seems pretty important since I'm not as bendy as I used to be.

Stay on track, gang.

Cheers,

Frick

• Frick - It is a blast to earn the DOMS when you are doing it with the kids...actually now more like young adults (if only we can keep up with them).

Glad you got some hurt on. I am right behind you man!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

• I hate to think this forum is dead. It is the one of the oldest forums and has the most posts. Most of the user moved to a face-book group but even there only a handful are posting regularly.

Here my update since my last post 7 weeks ago:

After I moved my marathon date to February I lost all motivation to run. I dropped my plan to run a marathon and to log 1000 miles in 2012. I decided to cut back to running 1 day a week for 2 miles with my dog but even that plan did not last. After 15 months I stopped but I did manage to sign up for an 18km trail run with my father-in-law and his friend. It is on December 8th and I have done zero training for it until last Friday. I ran, hiked, and climbed 8.3 miles with my father-in-law in Palo Duro Canyon (the second largest canyon in North America). It gave me confidence I can manage 11ish miles but I have not run in the past 6 days.

My loss of desire to run was match with an increased focus of strength training. After taking 11 days off of lifting I started the StrongLifts 5x5 program. It is a very simple 3 day a week routine. You alternate doing 5 sets of 5 reps (after some warm up sets) of three full body exercises. Working A you do Squats, bench press, and bent over barbell row.  Workout B you do Squats, Overhead Press (standing), and Deadlifts. In order to develop proper form you start with just an Olympic (45 pound) barbell and 5 pounds each exercise the next workout (10 pounds on deadlifts). I had been neglecting working my legs the past 2 years and I am loving it.

As an experiment the first 4 weeks of SL5x5 I also followed the GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day) Diet. Basically you drink a gallon of whole milk on top of your normal eating. I split it into 4 quarts and drank it between meals and in 27 days I gained 12 pounds half of which is shows up as lean body mass. It was "fun" but I am not sure what I think about the results. Since Thanksgiving is now past I plan to shed the fat I gained plus some. Cowtown 10k is 2-23-12 (about 12 weeks away) and I plan to shed 12-15 pounds while maintaining my Lean body mass (151-152 pounds). That will put me back in the 160s and 12% BF range that I was in back in May/June. 

I no longer fear gaining weight and I am now committed to a full body "powerlifting" program that I will build strength on instead of hitting a weight plateau due to switching my routine every 4-6 weeks. Never says never but now I have no plans to continue doing any endurance training and will still do HIIT cardio and running 5k and 10k races on occasion. 

Please feel free to tell me anything or share any opinion you have. It will not hurt my feelings and I like constructive criticism.

10-5-2012 to 11-27-2012 (camera phone quality is poor)

171 lbs 14.4% BF to 184 lbs 17-18% BF

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• Well I haven't been on here in some time now, BryanL, how is things going with you, I still have weight to lose, but that is still  the store of my life, still going on with me, just can't get it off of me like some people. Oh well that still working on it, and will be for the rest of my life, guess so.,,, hope all is doing good out there.

• Frick chiming in for the week.

• ...and hitting the "reply" button WAY too soon, LOL.  Eating cleanly this week.  Seviche was awesome with a healthy wheat wrap.  I may have to double up on my workout tomorrow, since work keeps getting in the way of my off hours.  I had a conf call with australia last night (+14 hours time difference) that interrupted my planned workout time.

Hope everyone has a good, productive weekend.

• This is so sad to me.  There was so much positive energy on this forum.  A lot of encouragement, knowledge, and yes sometimes tough love were to be found here.  I miss DebbieMO with her blinding highlights.  Legs with her high energy, crazy workouts, and smiling face, our very own Energizer bunny.  Aussie Debs so much love coming from down under, very inspirational in being honest about struggles.  Going through so much with Doug's fight against cancer and back problems, and coming out fighting.  JimmieB and his tunes.  Brian and his lovely bride and his running stories and constantly challenging himself to do better.  There are so many more who were on here with wonderful stories and always working at staying fit.  I wish I was a lot better with words like some of these I just mentioned, so I could do them and others who have posted here justice.  

It is just a shame that all those wonderful people who helped so many are not posting here any longer.  But I know wherever they are, they are helping people.  We had a good long run.  

• I agree with you Stephanie!  :o(  I haven't updated in awhile...  I am on my 3rd BFL challenge and just keep chugging along!  I have decided to get certified in group training, pre & post natal excercise & a personal trainer and many of you guys helped me along my way...  I plan on helping a few others too!  Who would have thought manufacturing engineer to fitness nut?!!  I have had a few bumps along the way... too!  Food is still one of my biggest issues, but I don't stray for long now!  Also, I have trouble feet - just got out of a boot a week ago & I think running is not my friend, but I will do it occasionally now & find other ways to do my HIIT.   As one of my BFL fellow said... we are all on infinite BFL challenges!    My favorite quote...nothing changes until something changes!  Good luck in future endeavors!  

• Hi old friends! Not sure how many are still posting here. I know a bunch have migrated over to the Facebook site. But I just started a new challenge yesterday, and wanted to rejoin over here. I find getting on this site a pitb, but the rewards are so worth it--I met some of my closest friends on here!!!

So Hi! I'm Larry! (Laura) One of Run4Life's buddies!!

Just got my stitches out today from a foot surgery that has been in the plans for a long time and guess what???

TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!!!

I've got my sights on a black belt in karate, running my 2nd 5K, and stretching myself to try for a 10K! Of course, first I have to walk without limping... :)

As I've recovered, my butt and abs have ballooned out of control. So as I look at this new beginning, I thought--"How better to start a new world order than with a new BFL challenge, eh???" As much as my training has moved to other things (CrossFit, cycling, karate and Primal eating) BFL is the core of everything I've ever accomplished.

So I'm going back to the beginning!!!!!

Now here's the million dollar question:

Is anyone out there starting a challenge???

I'd love to meet those of you I don't know, and say a big smiley HEY! to those of you I've met before!!!!!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Larry

Sabotage is not part of the plan.

• Stepine-AL thanks for posting...yeah I too miss the Crew. I came to the site late last Jan 2012. Tonja, I am so glad you are cranking it strong.

Larry, FB IM-ed you saying I a min the the next cycle of BFL. I am in Kentucky now and told you I would have a slow start for a couple weeks. But after seeing this I am at a hotel with Free Weights and a TM. SO I am on it tomorrow.

Be strong group...more I am sure in the future.

Miss you guys!

• Good to hear/read from you run!  Kentucky...I know you are only visiting, but I am a Wildcat fan and love visiting the Lexington area when I get a chance for work!  

LBWO kicked me this morning... I snuck in a cin. roll - energy is real low this morning?!  I will be on plan the rest of the day :o)

Frick?  Mosher?  Frick is probably pool side!

Cardio in the morning...