BFL Coffee Crew!

• OK Group,

Last post here before I head over to the other side of the state.

Bags Packed. Bikes Checked and Double Checked!

Loading up tomorrow.

Last thing to decide before we get there are the sleeping arrangement with my daughter and my new bike when we camp.

I think we finally got that settled.

Enjoy the weekend and up coming week Crew.

I am not going to tell you that it will be easy ... I am going to tell you that it will be worth it!

• Hey all!

Orrin--that's so cool how you started training people! What a great gift you are giving to people. Thanks for the story! Very inspriring.

Opti--you asked a while back about eating and camping. I know what you mean--seems like all the things you find on a camping trip are starch, starch, starch. You know why? It's filling and it keeps. Blah. I hate that. If ever one wonders why we eat bread, and why it's everywhere, just take an average restaurant meal and take away the bread. Oftentimes, you've got hardly enough left to shake a stick at! Isn't it crazy what we fell our bellies with!?

BUT--there's hope!

First of all--is your family camping trip car camping? I mean--does your vehicle stay by the tents? Or do you pack in to a campsite leaving cars behind?

Reason I ask, is because the answer will change my strategy.

When you have a car handy (provided the temps aren't tooooo hot), you can keep a cooler in the car with ice blocks (not ice cubes--they melt quicker)--and keep meat & veggies at cool temps longer.

The more things you can freeze before putting them in the cooler, the less ice you'll need (and the less room the ice will take up.) For instance, we take milk with us, but we freeze the carton or bag (yes, milk in bags in our area...love it...takes up less room...) We don't use the milk until it thaws. Until then, it's ice to keep the other things cool. Same with meat. As big of pieces as you can for the meal it represents. Deep-freeze freeze it, then that's your ice until it thaws. Packing it in layers of newspaper inside ziplock bags (keeping a little air inside) maximizes insulation and keeps it colder that much longer. Veggies and fruit can go on top, but careful--they can freeze accidentally--sometimes have to be prepared to eat them mushy if that happens. But hey--depending on the camping trip, it's either about having yummy food or it's about having a full belly...kinda depends on how long the trip is and how remote...

Then--as meat begins to thaw, you're going to want to cook it all at once. It'll keep at least a day if kept in a coolish place, again--ziplocks are your friend. Cold water is cooler than air...if your ziplock is tight, you can fill the cooler with well water or lake water, and keep your cooked, sealed meat (or fresh veggies) cooler in a cooler of water than in air.

Last but not least, if you can catch fish while you're camping, you've got your end-of-camping trip meals...depends where you're camping.

If you're car camping--scope out the closest town and make a midnight run or two to the grocery store.

Otherwise, enjoy your paleo way of life the first 2-3 days, thanks to ice and frozen food, and give in to the less obnoxious of the grains (oatmeal, rice) -- or rely on sweet potatoes to go with your veggies for the remaining days. HIghly recommend baby carrots for munching when everyone else is enjoying chips. They're crunchy, they keep, they taste good warm, and they are naturally sweet. Raisins, dried blueberries & cherries, craisins, almonds, honey...and my favorite: apples & almond butter.....mmmmmmm.....

Eggs can also be your friends. In the States, we always refrigerate our eggs. But I lived in England for a few years--and they don't refrigerate their eggs. And they keep just fine for up to a week...

Oh--and then check out this grain-free granola...(and granola bars...) they're AWESOME! And one of my favorite breakfasts is vanilla chobani yogurt with this granola (or this granola with Silk coconut milk)....mmmmmmmm (granted, the coconut milk or yogurt might not be too happy come day 3-4 of a camping trip, but I've had it 2 days unrefrigerated and lived to tell about it. I used the cooling by well-water though...

Good luck!!! I hope you're able to still enjoy camping & primal with some of these tips! (Oh--and if you're paleo, forget what I said about yogurt. :/

Sabotage is not part of the plan.

• hi all!

Laura--thank you thank you thank you for those camping advice!! We will have the car near us.  And each year we bring a huge thing of homemade trail mix that has everything you can think of in it, including sugary things.  This year, we've agreeed to make 2 kinds:  the usual, and then a more Primal mix for me or whoever else doesn't want M&M's and crap!  I will be relying on this trail mix a lot whenever there's carb-snacking going on.  And whole apples and all the veggies I can muster in.  

These last few days my stomach looks bloated again!  I've been more stressed lately and less sleep, but it looks like I ate bread or something!!  I stopped writing down my food, but the only change in diet has been more peanuts and more dark chocolate, maybe less veggies....   Do you think peanuts could bloat me like bread did? Honestly, Idon't know how much water I've been drinking either.

Back to that self-sabotaging idea again (I've been thinking of it every day since Taylor posted it):  a week ago I really wanted to wiegh in and measure 'cause I was looking great, was even wondering when I would find time to buy more smaller shorts.  Now I'm bloated again, maybe i'm sabotaging because my results were so good, and I really don't HAVE time to buy more shorts, so I'm ensuring a bigger waist to fit my current shorts????  

This is my last week of this challenge and I can't blow it!!!  I managed to get outside for a jog and monkey bars last night, otherwise no exercise at all.  There's so much going on here and any time I thought I would exercise, I need sleep instead.  We just had a house guest arrive late last night and he's being a little obnoxious and high-maintenace....  He's here to 'help' my husband and spend time with him while he recovers, but I can't wait for things to go back to normal.  Is it bad I'm leaving earlier to go to work and taking my time driving back home?  hehe, I'm shoving all our junk food that's been in storage, in his spare bedroom he's sleeping in, hoping he will fill up on it and not eat us out of house and home.  

ahhh, just another challenge.  It reminds me how I used food to help me out of EVERYTHING!!!  Never alcohol, never drugs, never money-spending (except on restaurant FOOD).  Even on Primal, I'm turning to Primal indulgences that I should moderate, thinking I can go nuts on that, I need to REIGN THIS IN!!!!!  End of June is coming fast!  (by then the house guest will be gone)

• Just a quick drop in...

Opti - Peanuts are a legume and not a nut. Beans are also a legume and cause bloating so there might be a connection. They are not really Primal anyway.

C5 is still going good. I am in week three and after 2 weeks  was at my lightest and leanest ever. I had a more of a free weekend celebrating our wedding anniversary but workouts are still going strong.

“"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out..." - Robert J. Collier”

http://thisisbryanok.blogspot.com/

• bryan--glad your C5 is still going great!!!  I know I know peanuts are off limits.  I've had them twice earlier inthe month when I was at an event or gathering, and they didn't seem to affect my hunger trigger or anything.  So in my recent time of stress this past week, I started going towards peanuts, but not really satisfying any stress at all, so it's stupid to eat them, ugh!

Oh, and I think I may have figured out a partial reason for the bloat---it's that time of month and it completely snuck up on me, as my thoughts and priorities have been elsewhere.  Hope it mentally doesn't affect my weigh in I'll be doing this weekend.

I've decided to stop checking my Facebook news feed for now.  I just don't have the time.  I WILL keep checking the Coffee Crew on FAcebook though.  (Have to check up on run4life's bike ride!)  Just that, plus this BFL thread.

oh, and it's now day 32 for me for Primal.

• Bryan glad C5 is going strong.

Opti glad you are knocking the eating habits out of the park. Keep going strong!!!

I am not going to tell you that it will be easy ... I am going to tell you that it will be worth it!

• congratulations to Run4life on completing the long 6-day bike event!!!!!

And the BFL reset START for run4life and Larry!!!!

Yesterday, I rewarded my end of my month-long Primal challenge with a haircut and bought a smaler size jeans.  Felt so wonderful!!  Then...  the self-sabotage kinda set in, as it was hot, we wanted frozen treats, which I tried and only the first few bites were tastey.  But I wasn't satisifed in my belly, wanted more of other crap!  So I tested out my stomach and was trying to satisfy some cravings at the same time, by eating small amounts of this and that.

Some things tasted worse than I remembered, but other things were still delicious.  I'm not sure why that was, maybe my taste buds reacting to different stimuli?  Anyway, my stomach didn't get as upset as I was hoping it would.  i need negative repercussions to help me stay away from that stuff.  i DID notice it was trigger food though!  One thing led to another, then to another.  

• Thanks Opti - and I know you are really rockin your eating challenge. If I read it right you have surpassed the first challenge goals and are back for more...and you had a great successful transformation.

There are many watching you and cheering you on including myself.

It has really made me focus more on how I am eating. I am not there yet, but am trending more and more toward where you and others are with their nutrition and with every bite I take, I am always thinking about what and why I am eating it. You did hit one thing spot on for me. Some of the things I have given up, when I go back to them, no longer seem to taste as good as they did in the past. Thank goodness for that as it makes it a little easier to walk away from them...progress and not perfection. I know. I am slowing wondering the path you are on. Keep going strong...you are a beacon for others to see.

• Hey, R4L, figured I'd jump on this thread (if y'all will have me).  I like the pic of you and your bike.  Congrats on the big ride.

• Hey Frick, welcome. thisis a great group and you will fit right in great. Saw your pool project is a t a usable point and that is great. I know you still have soil and sod to move and install and that should really help you keep those abs cranked.

Anyway just a shout out to say welcome and will keep up with you again soon.

• Hi all.  Run4life mentioned that we should migrate over to this thread. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone. I'm gearing up for 16 weeks to get to my goal. I've had challenges from a nutrition standpoint (read:I really went nuts on cheat days) and really plan to pull it in for the next weeks ahead.

Anyway, I hope you'll have me.

-Ashley

• Hey Ashley welcome. this thread is also a little quiet now but I think it will be more traffic thn the 9ers thread as it seems there are only a few now that are active on the 9er thread. Hopefully as summer progress into fall here in the N hemisphere it will pick up. Hope you are going strong. I am C3W1D7 now and hoping to continue to progress. All the best for now!

• Okay, I am joining in this thread from the 9er thread.  Hope everyone is enjoying their summer!  

~Nothing changes until SOMETHING changes~

• Hey Mosher welcome, this thread too has been a little bit quiet lately. Many of the folks here are great people and it is a good thread. I feel the 9er thread was losing steam so I am hopeful that we can keep going here as well as find some new friends. These guys here are also good folk though it has also been a little bit quiet lately. Keep going strong. This is my C3W2D1 and I did a LWBO. I would say that it was OK. Weight wise is still a challenge for me though I am making progress. I do have to work harder on nutrition. We'll catch up with you more later.

• Howdy Folks,

man its been a while since i have posted here...

work been crazy.

I have been working out everyday except sunday, lately workouts have been good.

nutrition is pretty sweet, on track and doing well, dropped about 2kg in the past 2 weeks so i'm happy.

thread has gone REALLY quiet, Orrin, where you dude????

i suspect that there may be some more action here soon.

doing a Crossfit fundraiser workout on Saturday, then doing 200 Burpees to pay off my bet with Laura. well a week to go but i KNOW that she will keep her end of the bargain, so i'm resigned to the fact that i'll be doing a sheltload of burpees on Sat.

how is everyone doing????

chat soon.

cheers