Shift Work and DFL

• Hello Fourm

Well I just turned 40 and decided that i needed a change in my life and found this forum and went and purchased the book.  I work 5 nights a week from 7p to 7a.  Is there a way I can adjust this for my eating and exercise.  When i am at work i am unable to leave do to taking care of patients, so my work out will have to be at 8 am after I get off.  Is there going to be a problem with my flopping back and forth on days off with eating and exercise?

Thanks for everything.

Chris

• Hello Chris,

There was a similar discussion on another thread (http://bodyforlife.com/community/boards/bfl/f/13/t/736.aspx).  Here is what I shared there:

The beauty of BFL is it doesn't really mattter if you eat late or not.  As long as you are on a "normal" schedule for you, it's not a problem.  The point of eating 6 meals a day 2-3 hours apart is to help keep your metabolism going.  There are plenty of people doing BFL who work either the mid-shift or graveyard shift.  You just need to sit down and look at your routine to spread the 6 meals out for your waking hours.

This was posted back on January 3, 2010 by BFLMike:  "The simplest thing for shift workers is to just do the workouts (cardio and weight training) as soon as you wake up.  That way you are always doing the training at a time [that]...works best for fat burning."

Following his advice, you would start your eating schedule accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Do the best you can. If you wear scrubs load your pockets with food so you can  eat on the go as needed. Keep water bottles within reach. Plan, plan,plan so you don't have to think much at all about what to eat or what work out you're gonna do.

Your patients are important, however, for you to take the best care of them...you have to take care of you first!

With your schedule, planning is going to be key. Plan a week or more at a time. If you don't have time to plan, use a plan from the week before and just redo it, eat the same way you ate the week before(unless you botched it) tweak as needed.

We all have 24 hours in our days to do with whatever it takes to get things done......choose BFL, tho- your days will rock!

Squats

• I work a diffent schedule everyday and my schedule varies every week. I found that I plan my workouts and eating times in advance and then stick to it. I carry a lunch bag with me with all my food, suppliments, shakes and bars for the day. My eating times vary each day depending on my work schedule the only thing that is regular is when I take my perscription medication. Some days I eat at 8am, 11am, 1:30pm, 4pm, 6pm and 8pm. Other days I eat at 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, and around 10pm. When your body is used to being fueled all the time you won't have to remember to eat you will need to eat. When your working try ready to eat quick things like a protein bar or ready to drink shake you can get down during a five minute break. Planning is the key!