Question about Ab training and the plan

• Thank you to anyone helpful and caring who responds to my questions.  I apreciate your time and thoughts.

I am not understanding why the Abs section of the program is layed out the same as the weights, with the reps decreasing by 2 reps each set, and the intenisity increasing.  How is this even possible if the exercises from the book are followed?  After all, you cannot increase the weight unless you are using a machine or doing an unapproved exercise.  I am surprised to find this is still in the current printing of the book.  I picked up an older copy of the BFL book at a used bookstore and read it -loved it!  However while reading it I thought that if the movement was still going and books were still being produced that there would be an update for that particular part.  I was also surprised (pleasantly) to find that the diet plan hasn't changed.  I was expecting that by 2000-something that carbs would be off the menu or at least be seriously diminished from the diet plan.

What I did with the abs was actually increase the reps to about 48 on set 1 and gradually decreased them through the sets -my intensity continued to build actually with each set.

Has this crossed anyone else's mind before?

Also, I'd love to compete in the contest.  Am I out of luck unless I want to wait until 2014?  My body doesn't deserve to wait, nor does my declining self esteem.

thanks guys,

-Joe 40

day 3 and aweful sore

• Hi Joe,

When I started I pondered the exact same question!

I think that the abs format is the same just to simplify the programe. If you tried doing it like that rather than nothing at all it would be better! I guess its better to keep the programs simple and something ppl would be willing to try...

However even if u read the fitness articles on this site u will find different recommendations.

I make up my own abs routine which I do after every weight workout... Usually 12 or 20 reps for a few sets with a couple exercises....I also started an abs class recently....

I hope this makes sense and that you will start soon, as I'm sure u will continue learning more along the way!

Galina

• Thanks for your response Galina.  That makes sense.  keep it simple.  My other question about starting the BFL challenge was answered by the EAS team.  Starting in Nov 2013 will put me in the BFL challenge for 2014.

Your response also brought another lingering thought to the surface.  As I stare at these shocking, remarkable before and after photos, I have to wonder if these people could have accomplished this by sticking to the program, or if, at some point, they added a ton of stuff to their workouts (you are doing abs after every workout -not a bad idea).  

So my new question is: is it possible to get those results as seen in the photos by doing only what the program recommends?

• I do abs just about every day.  I change up my reps and exercises, but get the same feeling when done...lol

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• nice transformation squid

• Thanks Joe!!

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• Hey Joe,

That was a great question about  abs and one area of the plan that I have also always questioned.  And I really liked Galina's response. Keeping it simply to encourage people to try makes sense to me.

I have been trying to incorporate about 125 crunches on a ball per workout. I am not sure if that is that right approach or not and am willing to chance it up via suggestions.

With regards to doing more than the plan, I can tell you from experience that it works and you don't have to pile on a bunch of other stuff to see great results. I wish I had my old before and after pictures to share. I also wish I never got back out of shape, but I have. However, I have the benefit of passed to success to know that this works. I can already envision my body at the end of the 12-weeks. It may, or may not be, as dramatic as some of the champion's pictures. But I can guarantee you the results will be noticeable and significant.

I am also 40. So, I know you got this. We will go through it together.

Keep up the great work,

Dan

• One day a week, I do weighted ball cruches, with a 15lb dumbbell and get about 200 reps in.  When I first started 10lbs and 30 reps was a killer...lol.  I know that if you are following anything from my thread, you will see that I get in at least 100 reps a day of 10 different exercises 10 reps...all weighted!!  

• When I was on a challenge (earlier this year)  I would add ab exercises to the cardio day at the end in addition to those suggested by the BFL program book.  It seemed to help and of course you do need to monitor the diet factor as well, because it is partly true that great abs are made in the kitchen (so I've heard over and over). Watch out for the sodium and water intake as well. Just what you need not excessive.  Keep Moving FOrward!

• one thing I forgot to say about using the ball.  Make sure your feet are tight against the ground...can use weights to hold them down.  Lean back as far as you can so you feel the stretch in your abs, your head should be close to the other side of the ball.  Now, grab a weight that you can feel the stretch even more.  Keep your arms out straight past your head, now slowly crunch up without moving the ball...that takes time and practice...slowly curl back.  Do as many sets as you can to get 100 reps with only a 10sec rest between sets.  Add on as time makes it easier.

• How much weight?

• I started with 10lbs