On my 17th Day, Not Seeing results

• On my 17th Day, Not Seeing results. I wasn't really expecting to see huge results in my clothes but I thought I would see a good change in the scale. I'm staying motivated and continuing to push on but it is frustrating because I think I have been pretty diligent.

My diet has really changed from before and I cut out alcohol, which I've always had a few drinks a night. Below is a couple average days of  eating. My workouts are standard weights and cardio every other day. 

1 Egg w/ 2 egg beater
    1  Serv Turkey Sausage

yogurt 
    almonds

Steamed Vegetables
    Grilled Chicken
    Brown Rice

almonds

Low Carb Tortilla
    Grilled Chicken Breast
    Pepper & Onions
    Low Fat Sour Cream & Avocado

Yesterday

1 egg w/ 2 egg beater
    4 oz Turkey Sausage/Ground Turkey

2-HB Egg

1/2 Baked Potato
    Ham, Turkey Slices
    HB Egg

1/2 serving Grilled Steak
    yogurt 
    almonds

Grilled Chicken
    Spinich salad/ veggies

1/2 Protein Bar
  • Don't get discouraged.  I'm on day 31 and am just starting to see minor changes.  Keep pushing, you won't really start to notice it until week 6-8.  

Also, although raw almonds are good for you, keep in mind that they are considered a healthy fat and not a protein.  I suggest trying to find a way to cut some of the fat content from your daily diet. For example, don't have hard boiled eggs, steak, almonds, and avocados all in the same day.  While they are approved foods, the book states that you should try not to have too much in a day.  One small portion of healthy fats is all you should consume in a day.

• I've seen a quote that reads "It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world.  Give it 12 weeks.  Don't quit."  

• Nice...I like that.  Along that same line, I want to share this:

Sometimes you just have to give things more time. This is for anyone/everyone struggling.

Here’s a little inspiration for those of you who are worried about not seeing any changes in your body so far. It’s what I call the “Paper Towel Theory”.

Let’s assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with only 84 paper towels on it (one for each day of the challenge). You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your “before” picture). The other one represents you (I’ll call your paper towel you “Ed”). The core represents the lean Ed. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean Ed. For sake of argument, let’s say that Ed wants to lose 21 pounds of fat, so (84/21) each sheet represents a quarter-pound of fat lost. Let’s also assume that Ed loses his fat equally during each day of the challenge.

Each day during the first week, you tear a sheet off of Ed, representing the fat he has lost for the day. Next, you put Ed next to the full roll (“Big Al”) for comparison. No noticeable difference!!! Even at the end of the week! This can’t be working for me!

But, being a good Ed, you continue to follow Body-for-LIFE. At the end of weeks two and three, you continue to compare Ed to Big Al, and still notice very little difference. That stinkin’ Bill Phillips MUST be a liar!

But Ed is determined! He works hard! Hitting his 10’s…eating his 6 daily meals. Three more weeks go by, the sheets peeling off day after day, before Ed gets up the courage to stand next to Big Al again. Holy Myoplex! Ed is skinny! OK, not skinny, but less huge!!!

By the end of the 12-week Body-for-LIFE program, Ed is down to his lean dream, or somewhere near it. Ed is happy. We are happy. Big Al – well he’s not so happy.

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around, that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area – just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same – your perception is just different! And you’ll never see the inside, if you aren’t patient while the outside is coming off! - Bob White

• Without knowing where you started, it's hard to evaluate.  If you have a considerable amount of weight to lose, you should definitely see some results by the end of your 3rd week (18 BFL days not accounting for 1 free day/week.)  I would suggest making sure you're hitting your 10's - don't be afraid to push yourself hard.  And also, try to go real simple and clean for a couple of weeks on your menu.  I would avoid the Turkey sausage and just go with plain ground turkey.  Avacado is also dangerous because the correct serving size is usually the size of your thumb.  So, even half an Avacodo is much more than you should be eating if you're trying to lose weight.  Almonds, although good for you, can be hard not to eat too many of also.  Try and concentrate on the Palm and fist portion sizes for a couple of weeks to make sure you're spot on with your eating.  You want to get in your 6 meals/day with proper portion sizes.  Remember that each meal needs a carb and protein.

You can do this!  Best of luck.

• Just to clarify, I agree with those promoting patience.  However, after 8 years of BFL, I've learned when people have significant weight to lose, they will normally see results fairly quickly (at least a few pounds) if they follow the program diligently.  I believe the 2 most common reasons for this not happening are people who don't realize they aren't hitting their 10's - maybe haven't worked out much and just don't realize what they are truly capable of - and people who are eating much better than they did before starting BFL, but still not as clean as you need to 6 days a week for BFL.  Dressings, added ingredients, and alchohol that may seem harmless, all add up, and in the end they can slow your progress down to a crawl despite the best of intentions.

Bill's original food list was simple with good reason.  For an initial challenge with lots of physical changes desired, simple will yield the best results.

• Thank You all for the information. Can anyone recommend a good supplement regiment to start with to lose fat and gain muscle? I'm looking for the best results (as is everybody else on here)

• Patience, Determination, Clean Diet, Hard Workouts.

Don't look for a shortcut yet.  Clean up your diet, drink tons of water, hit 10's every single workout, and make sure everything is right.  The only supplements you should be taking right now are multivitamins (and maybe fish oil).  Supplements won't do you any good unless your diet is clean.  Like we all said in response to your first post, you need to focus more on the diet and what you're putting into your body.  Do it right and you'll start seeing amazing results.

• For supplements, I would simply start with a protein powder and a creatine, in addition to a type of Myoplex for meal replacement.  There are a ton of supplements out there.  EAS makes some of the best supplements around.  If you can't afford all EAS (understandable...I can't), I would go with Myoplex and the other two from Walmart or Sam's/Costco, if you have that available to you.  I haven't found the fat burning supplements to hold much weight in what they say they'll do.  Good luck!

-Mike

• Greetings and Do Not DIspair for great results take some time and you will see them IF you perservere (remember the hero Perseus name is in that word and he never gave up either and succeeded too).  I use creatine, CLA , whey and soy protein powders (Lean 15 last time) and Betagen and have tried Muscle Armor by EAS.  Be careful with thermolizers and be sure you can take them safely with any medicines you are taking right now. (I have tried Grenade, Jet Fuel , Roxy Lean and Thermal CLA by GNC(a combo one there). They have all worked for me but be ware of the jitters and side effects of some of them out there (Oxy, Jackd etc). Keep Moving Forward!!!

• Superman what a brilliant explanation!!! Thanks a lot for that, now I understand why a lot of past champions didn't see results until week 8 or so.

• That really was a pretty cool explanation. Thanks