QUESTIONS! DAY 4!!!

• So I just started BFL 4 days ago, and I am already in good shape because of Track. We run every single DAY and I come home to do the workout BFL says to do. So I'm exercising like 2 hours a day! Last year I made it to state and It was the best experience in my life because I placed 1st in my heat with a time of 2:02, becoming the 4th fastest runner in my region and 1st fastest in school. But anyways... 1 of my goals THIS year is to have big arms, big shoulders, big chest, and thin waist with rock hard abs that is why I am doing this program. :)

So I have some questions for the people who have been doing this for a while and have seen results in their life and bodies.

1. How long does it take to gain 1lb of muscle?

2. With this diet consisting of either eating every 2 - 3 hours how many calories should every meal have? I have been making a 770 calorie breakfast and then 2 hours later I would eat some homemade Trail mix(almonds, dark chocolate, coconut and some craisins..mmm yum) which is about 350 calories, 2 hours later for lunch about 600 calorie meal. 2 hours after that half a protein shake's worth about 150 calories and then I get home and make my meals there and I end up around 2800 cal. But I don't know if this is right..

3. When I am doing my biceps sets. 12 reps I finish easy. 10 reps harder, 8 reps hard, and on the 6 reps I haven't been able to finish the last 4 because the weight is sometimes so heavy and to finish them I lean back or something but I don't know if that's okay! What should I do? Do I just go through the motions or should I start with a lighter weight(but then will I grow big muscles?).

Well those are pretty much the questions I have. Thank you guys so much. I'm excited to finish this program. :D

• Ricky!

Congrats on your success in track, that's quite an accomplishment.  It's wonderful that you have your goals laid out.  The thing to remember about Body For Life is this: As wonderful of a program as it is, it really is an introduction to fitness and diet.  Most people using the BFL diet are trying to lose weight to reveal their muscle underneath (although this is not a blanket statement, just a majority).  If you're looking to build muscle, you have to keep in mind that you'll most likely gain some body fat in the process.  It's a journey and unless your an exceptional creature with incredible genes, you'll probably have to go through a few months of building mass then another few months of cutting fat off those new muscles.

1 - This is hard to determine, because it really depends on your workouts, nutrition, and genetics.  If you are extremely dedicated and diligent about your food intake, workouts, and recovery, you still wouldn't be able to add more than one pound of muscle in a week.  This is assuming you've had an amazing week both inside and outside the gym

2 -  regarding the diet, do some research.  You need to use variables such as your weight, height, body fat %, and goals to calculate how many calories you'd need to build muscle.  Also keep in mind that you're burning a lot of calories with your extra cardio and daily running.  Eat big for big gains.

3 - Well, you have a few options with the weights.  For your six rep, lift as heavy as you can with proper form.  Even if you have to use the same weight you did for 8 (just cut down your rest in between sets and make sure you squeeze extra hard).  Also, you could ask someone to spot you or help you get the last couple reps out of the heavy set.  Another training practice you could use would be to do negative reps.  If you don't know what those are, you should look them up, it's a great form of strength training.

Hope that helped and best of luck!

• Superman!

My hero :) Yes this helped me very much and showed me what to expect. Thank you!.. I have a different question I forgot to add.

I'm 5'10, weight 155. My body fat I haven't measured yet. But anyways let's say I have to eat 2480 just for a normal day. Since I want to gain weight I add 500 calories to that(2980cal). I eat all my meals and hit 2980 but I exercise and burn 500 calories. Would I have to eat another 500 calories to 2980(So a total of 3480 calories in the day) or after I hit my Calorie mark, stop eating?  Does that make sense?? :D

Thank you :D

• Ricky to answer your last question, technically speaking to gain weight you have this equation to be positive:

Net Calories= Calories from eating - calories burned during exercise- calories burned digesting food. (this is supposed to be about 10% of your total calorie intake) - basal metabolic rate. (look it up online)

Good luck on your goals!

• Yeah, what she said!

• Hey Ricky,

I'm no expert, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, so this is only opinion.  Because you're running track every day, and because you want to gain muscle, I would suggest the following:

Do the BFL weight workouts 3 days a week.  Hit your 10's.  Eat good healthy food BFL style 6-days a week, but try to hit about 3,000 calories.  Don't do the HIIT cardio workouts.  You're getting plenty of cardio running track, and you're not trying to lose weight.  And finally, pay attention to how you feel.  If you're feeling weak and tired, you're probably not getting enough fuel.  If you're feeling slow and sluggish, you're either eating too much, or not giving your body/muscles enough rest.

Good luck!

• Thanks guys this is helping me out :)